• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on Tavor X95

The MDR is more my style. Desert Tech makes accurate rifles, period.

But really they are different guns for different uses. The tavor is something that you could expect to work after being dragged through the mud then rolled in sand. The MDR is more like a DMR rifle in a small package.

Don

The MDR is supposed to be an accurate battle rifle that can take the same abuse as any infantry rifle. Time will tell, it's not out in large numbers yet.

Mike

Sure. But unless it is adopted as the primary rifle for some country's military, it will never undergo the kind of torture testing that the Tavor has proven itself under.

For now, anyone buying it who expects it to be anything more than a REALLY nice semi-auto rifle that gives you 20 inch barrel ballistics out of a SBR sized firearm is deluding themselves. Not that that's a problem. Its a REALLY nice gun. But the things that give you Desert Tech levels of accuracy tend to compromise the ability to run under all conditions. Of course I could be wrong. But the bottom line is that from a reliability and durability and abuse tolerance perspective, its unproven.

Which, again, is fnie by me. My rifles live a relatively pampered life.

Don

Agreed, until it is adopted and battle tested, it will not be battle tested. This doesn't mean I couldn't be convinced that one would make an excellent SHTF rifle.

That said, my go to gun is a well built AR with an ACOG on it. I've shot over 1K rounds of steel crap through it since the last cleaning. Just spray some WD-40 on it and it keeps running.

Mike

I have a great deal of faith in IWI's ability to build a rifle action. they have done a superb job with the tavor. the X95 likely as well. they were smart for essentially copying many of the strong elements of the AK design. my overall experiences w long stroke piston designs, while limited in #, have been very good. seems others have observed the same.

the desert tech looks like a nice rifle. hopefully it's well built. personally if i were in the market for something with high likelihood of reliability and durability, i would stick with an IWI tavor or X95 over the desert tech. this is not a knock against the MDR, just that anything new sort of deserves a probationary period (reference the Sig MCX).

I agree. And when people ask what Maura-proof rifle they should buy for the time being I point them the IWI route. I had a Tavor SAR for a while and loved it except for the weight. In fact I organized the original Tavor NES group buy a few years back when they first launched, which ended in a bit of a disaster due to false availability numbers coming in to the dealer and some other issues. I ended up using the money I sold it for to bankroll my 300AAC SBR build. I need to do a 10.5" 5.56 upper for that thing now.

Mike

2 words.

Taurus Curve.

You really want me to dig up the praise heaped on the curve by the NRA mag? It happened.

You might find an outlier blog that is critical of a new gun, you may find fewer positive things said in a comparison article, but you aren't going to find a gun mag tearing down a new release from their advertisers.

I've found The Truth About Guns to be willing to call a turd a turd.

There are also a few Youtube personalities that are not afraid to go on the record calling something bad.

Unfortunately, the Old Media seems to be devoid of anyone willing to do that.

I really like the idea of a bullpup. They just look cool, and thus, I "need" one. Not even sure what I'd do with it, but as a lefty I need an ambidextrous one. I'm currently holding out hope that the soon to be released Desert Tech MDR will live up to its hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't speak for the X95, but the SAR with the Geissele trigger is a nice shooter. Trigger swap is just two pins. Only downside is that the cocking effort went up significantly. Not a huge deal, but noticeable. The trigger isn't as good as an AR, but once you get used to it, it's not bad at all. There is a fairly long take up, then stage 1 for a bit and finally a crisp carrot release. A far improvement to the stock trigger.

The other thing I found a really nice addition - Gearhead Works ejection port cover. It eliminates any gas leaks from the ejection port you are not using. First time out, I had something get into my eye even with the wrap-around safety glasses. A little reading exposed that the factory port cover does not seal all that well. I initially sealed it up with electrical tape which worked, but this seals it too. Best of all, it offers a handy sling attachment which is nicely placed.

What is the difference between the SAR and X95? They seem like the same thing, although I've never seen them side by side...

What is the difference between the SAR and X95? They seem like the same thing, although I've never seen them side by side...

de72236f8cafdbdbb2cd06dadd85511c.png

Bottom is x95
Can convert it to standard pistol grip / trigger guard . Different updated controls etc . The civ version has changes from
The mill spec version . There's more difference between the civ x95 and the mill then the sar civ vs mill.

The 4 major changes between the sar and the x95.
The guard on the pistol grip can be removed for a more ar type feel
The mag release has been moved to the same position as an ar
(honestly, I have the sar and really like the mag release behind your hand)
The charging handle was moved further back
The front covers can be slid off to acess picatinny rails.

Another difference over the first production sar, the trigger was reworked but those are also in the current gen sar.

de72236f8cafdbdbb2cd06dadd85511c.png

Bottom is x95
Can convert it to standard pistol grip / trigger guard . Different updated controls etc . The civ version has changes from
The mill spec version . There's more difference between the civ x95 and the mill then the sar civ vs mill.

The 4 major changes between the sar and the x95.
The guard on the pistol grip can be removed for a more ar type feel
The mag release has been moved to the same position as an ar
(honestly, I have the sar and really like the mag release behind your hand)
The charging handle was moved further back
The front covers can be slid off to acess picatinny rails.

Another difference over the first production sar, the trigger was reworked but those are also in the current gen sar.

Thanks! That helps a lot. It may be an illusion, but in that pic,the SAR looks a bit smaller.

Back
Top Bottom