Thoughts on Tavor X95

BREWINZ

NES Member
I don't have a bullpup. Unfortunately, we're only able to get the 18" barrel in MA. I think it's about 30" overall length. Much longer than a free state. I have other 5.56 rifles. This isn't as accurate, but damn I love the design. Anyone own one? Thoughts in general?

EDIT: I was wrong. You can get the 16" model in MA.

EDIT 2: Bought one. Pics added.

m2dLhrl.jpg

d7Mm7Om.jpg

9NjfimP.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a bullpup. Unfortunately, we're only able to get the 18" barrel in MA. I think it's about 30" overall length. Much longer than a free state. I have other 5.56 rifles. This isn't as accurate, but damn I love the design. Anyone own one? Thoughts in general?
Why can't you get the 16" barrel in MA?

I don't have an x95, but do have a Tavor in a 16.5 inch barrel bought here in Ma. With no issue.
Total length in 26.5 inches with muzzle brake.

Buy the MA compliant 18" rifle.
Then buy just the 16" barrel assembly for when you leave this crappy state!

I have so many mixed feelings. I shot one before and loved it. It is so rugged and robust.

However as an arm chair commando doing research on bullpup forums - there are problems. People sending them back for repairs. The 2 major problem threads on that forum has kept me from pursuing the x95.

All the reviews in print and the net look fantastic.

I'm just not going to jump from the AR at this point.

I have so many mixed feelings. I shot one before and loved it. It is so rugged and robust.

However as an arm chair commando doing research on bullpup forums - there are problems. People sending them back for repairs. The 2 major problem threads on that forum has kept me from pursuing the x95.

All the reviews in print and the net look fantastic.

I'm just not going to jump from the AR at this point.

It's not so much a jump as it is an addition. [wink]

I Looked at the x95 before getting the Tavor sar, I choose to go with the sar becouse of the accuracy issues that first reviewers were having. Can I ask have you given the sar a look and what has sold you on the x95?

I own a green x95. I just added a pistol grip conversion and love it even more. No issues here and certainly no "accuracy" problems. It's a battle rifle designed for mostly cqb. Knocking the shit out of bowling pins consistantly at 100 yards with 55 grain fiochi works for me.

Yes

I think it doesn't meet overall length requirements. Could be wrong.

The only restrictions in MA are AWB related. Fed Law dictates minimum bbl and overall lengths, so no difference between MA and Free America wrt bbl lengths that are legal here. Flash hiders vs. comps are another issue, but MA compliant comps can be had in numerous lengths.

WRT X95, can the rifle still be disassembled is there's a fixed muzzle device attached, which is larger than the barrel's outside diameter?

Last edited:
WRT X95, can the rifle be still be disassembled is there's a fixed muzzle device attached, which is larger than the barrel's outside diameter?

Yes. As long as the muzzle break is smaller than the hole at the end of the handguard. I have a cmmg brake pinned. If it can wait till later, i'll snap some pictures.

Last edited:
What is the best muzzle brake? I've seen on that was so retarded and long it defeats the purpose of a bull pup.

My FDE X95 has a Mepro M21 Bullseye on it and shoots under 2" at 100yd. I put a 3x Magnifier on it but haven't gotten out with it yet. Manticore Arms makes a shorter butt plate, which works well for me but still meets minimum length requirements (the top part remains long). I have the Mamba L/R safety waiting for installation and also added the Geissele trigger pack and trigger - much nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the best muzzle brake? I've seen on that was so retarded and long it defeats the purpose of a bull pup.

"Best" is subjective. There are about 9000 "brakes" on the market and they all have different levels of concussion at the shooter position. an obvious choice is a levang linear comp- those things blow everything forward... but they do nothing, except they are better than just a bare barrel in terms of the noise/concussion.

-Mike

My FDE X95 has a Mepro M21 Bullseye on it and shoots under 2" at 100yd. I put a 3x Magnifier on it but haven't gotten out with it yet. Manticore Arms makes a shorter butt plate, which works well for me but still meets minimum length requirements (the top part remains long). I have the Mamba L/R safety waiting for installation and also added the Geissele trigger pack and trigger - much nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is really nice. Not expensive either. I will use it for sure. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yea, NJ law is similar... just got a Tavor with the shorter barrel. My FFL had to pin a brake on it.

It is annoying how the compliance models have an 18" barrel. If I'm getting a bullpup, I want the shorter barrel to make it as compact as possible.

I can also speak for the Geissele trigger and trigger pack. Very good upgrades, and get it to the point that you don't even think that it is a bullpup system.

I owned two Tavors. Both shot 4 moa with Lake City 62 gr ammo. Both also shot about 3 MOA with my handloads that shoot sub moa out of my Service Rifle match gun.

I like accurate guns. So I got rid of them.

There are some other issues.

These are NOT ambidextrous guns. They are REVERSIBLE guns. If its set for right handed use, its just about useless left handed. You can not switch back and forth on the fly. Both of mine had a tendency to bounce cases off my chin and then right back into the ejection port, jamming the gun, if shot left handed.

Also, because the piston is RIGHT in front of your fact and non-adjustible, if you shoot it with a suppressor on it, the thing dumps a TON of gas in your face.

On the plus side, it was absolutely TOTALLY reliable. After a couple of hundred rounds the innards looked like an AR looked after shooting a half dozen rounds. It stayed CLEAN.

I guess the bottom line is that as a combat rifle, its exceptional. But I'm not a soldier.

Don

The X95 is an excellent rifle. They sell so many of them, there are going to be issues with some, like anything. If there are issues, I am sure IWI will take care of it. The ones I have shot have been just flawless, and very accurate, easy to point, easy to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom