• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is a good thing !

Palladin

NES Member
WMUR.com
Related To Story

Video: Boy Hunts Moose Under Special Law

Law Helps Ill Boy Take Part In Moose Hunt
Seriously Ill Children Get Chance To Hunt Under New Law

POSTED: 5:59 pm EDT October 17, 2008

WEARE, N.H. -- A 9-year old Weare boy with an incurable disease recently got a day away from doctors, hospitals and shots to go moose hunting, thanks to a new state law.

Keith Locke, a Center Roads Elementary School student, is proud to show off the rack from the 650-pound bull he hunted.

"It was really exciting because it was very big," he said. "I thought that after I shot it. I was, like, 'Sweet!'"

Keith suffers from an incurable autoimmune disease. Looking for ways to make it easier for him to deal with, Keith's father found out about a new state law that each year, grants two seriously ill or terminally ill children moose-hunting permits.

Keith applied and was chosen as the first recipient in the state.

"It's probably the best thing that's ever happened," Keith said.

The idea of bringing joy to children such as Keith was what pushed state Rep. Bob L'Heureux to introduce the legislation. The issue has such meaning to him that when asked why it was an important bill for him to sponsor, he choked up and was unable to answer.

L'Heureux had a dying constituent whose last wish was to go hunting, but he wasn't able to get the trip authorized and organized before he passed away.

The Fish and Game Department, the hunting organization SCI and New Hampshire's Guide's Association are making it easier for others.

Keith has also found a way to give back from his hunting trip. He donated all the meat from the moose to the New Hampshire Food Bank.

"You'll probably get about 400 meals out of this," said Michele Garon of the food bank. "This is a great donation."

Keith said that he was happy to help, since his wish came true.

"Two good things came out of this hunt," he said.
Copyright 2008 by WMUR. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wmur.com/cnn-news/17745677/detail.html

Back
Top Bottom