The Liberty Training Rifle

OK, so got some time on the drill press, this morning. I have 3 sights, two pressed right out with a 3/64" bit, I thought I'd give that a try before drilling. The third wouldn't press out so I drilled out with a 3/64" then a 1/16" inch bit. The wheel came off a little slowly but it was clean. Replaced the windage knob on the first two sights with the DPMS knob and the original roll pin, I'll have a new pin for the third tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback guys, it helped a ton.

I have a question about installing the sling and swivels. What is this process like? Does it need to be drilled or can you do it with a screwdriver? My friend is lending his 10/22 and we are going to modify it together as a project. We are pretty excited.

That's what I thought. Since it wasn't my rifle I figured I'd ask before I ordered for him. What's the cost for a new/used 10/22? I appreciate the help

That's what I thought. Since it wasn't my rifle I figured I'd ask before I ordered for him. What's the cost for a new/used 10/22? I appreciate the help

Old beat up guns can be had for less than $100 (or so I've heard) and I've seen the new ones going for ~ $189 and up depending on how fancy you want to get.

JayD, if you want to go the cheap route, you could always buy a used factory stock off of FleaBay for under $20, install your sling studs and swivels on that, and just put your friend's 10/22 into your stock for the weekend. And then you have an extra stock for whatever purposes you want. For example, I got an extra stock because I wanted to shorten the length of pull since I'm a bit shorter than most folks. Works great and I didn't have to spend $250 for a 10/22 Compact.

JayD, if you want to go the cheap route, you could always buy a used factory stock off of FleaBay for under $20, install your sling studs and swivels on that, and just put your friend's 10/22 into your stock for the weekend. And then you have an extra stock for whatever purposes you want.

And you could float the barrel while your're at it.

What is floating the barrel? I am actually looking into purchasing my own 10/22 now. I figure if I buy one I can always give it to my kids someday and let them learn on it all while learning some home gunsmithing ;)

Wikipedia has a decent definition of free floating (LINK). For an LTR 10/22, you want to make sure that pressure on the front of the stock from a tight sling won't pull the stock into the barrel. Since you probably won't sling up to exactly the same pressure each time, a free floating barrel will be unaffected by how much the stock is flexing.

First step is to remove the front barrel band on the 10/22, and toss it into the parts drawer forever. I like to fold a dollar bill in half, and try to slide it between the stock and barrel all the way back to the receiver. If it hangs up along the way, it indicates a spot on the stock that's contacting the barrel and needs to be sanded down.

The best spot I've found for reading up on home 10/22 accuracy mods is the 10/22 section of the RimfireCentral.com forum. Lots of good stuff in there.....

Preformed this work to my new Ruger 10/22 this last weekend. Including a trigger job to lighten the pull. Took about 3 hours with help from Gadsden. I do advise working with someone that has either done this before or is familiar with gun smithing. I milled my own bolt catch as Midway is out of stock and I am cheap. Went to the range to sight it in. I shot the center out on the 8th shot from a bench position (sling didn't come in yet). HIGHLY recommended even if you don't intend to do Appleseed.

See how well it works in reality at Harvard, MA on the 23rd 24th.

Preformed this work to my new Ruger 10/22 this last weekend. Including a trigger job to lighten the pull. Took about 3 hours with help from Gadsden. I do advise working with someone that has either done this before or is familiar with gun smithing. I milled my own bolt catch as Midway is out of stock and I am cheap. Went to the range to sight it in. I shot the center out on the 8th shot from a bench position (sling didn't come in yet). HIGHLY recommended even if you don't intend to do Appleseed.

See how well it works in reality at Harvard, MA on the 23rd 24th.

Yup, turns it into a whole new gun. I often enjoy shooting my 10/22 LTR just as much as my AR if I am only doing short distances.

I got my 10/22 yesterday from a fellow NESer, I am in love. I could actually shoot inch and a half groups at 25 yards...I am impressed with myself. It has all the mods a typical LTR would have with the exception of a sling. I cant wait to do an appleseed.

I got my 10/22 yesterday from a fellow NESer, I am in love. I could actually shoot inch and a half groups at 25 yards...I am impressed with myself. It has all the mods a typical LTR would have with the exception of a sling. I cant wait to do an appleseed.

So we'll see you on Saturday at Harvard, then? We'll see if we can't get those groups down under 1".

Last edited:
Coyote
It looks to be just the sling and adjustment buckles - no swivels or other adjustments.

This is not a big deal if you have QD swivels installed - they will allow you to make the cuff loop, etc. that you will be shown on Day 1

I used a VTac style on my rifle before I could get the recommended one - there are differences and you can see the difference at the shoot.

LTR build

Hi All,

Just got a 10/22 (first rifle), and plan to attend a couple Appleseeds. I expect the one-day @ Harvard will be my first. I'm converting the stock 10/22 into an LTR. I've run into a couple issues upgrading with some parts refernced here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35390-The-Liberty-Training-Rifle

I know there is a lot expertise out there on hardware etc., so these questions should be pretty easy for you guys.

1) Tech sights: I cross-threaded the front screw on the front sight. While I plan on replacing the front sight (available for $22, plus shipping..), what is the impact of using it immediately? The side screws are there. Will they be fine for now (to hold it in plce, I mean)?

2) Mike's QD swivels/studs are backordered until April (!) on Midway. It looks like Cabelas has a 1-1/4" swivels, but not the machine type screw. So, my question here is....What are the pros/cons of using the wood screws in a synthetic stock?

Any help and advice on this is appreciated,
steven

Steve - based on your "cross threaded" comment I'm recommending you refrain from drilling into your stock just yet.

front sight - as long as you put loc-tite on the other 2 screws you should be OK - just watch it during the day to make sure they don't shoot loose.

wood screws - simply attacking the wood with #10 wood screws to attach sling swivels is a bad idea - possible splitting of the stock and other irreparable damage may occur. Think "Tim Taylor" style carnage...

Bring your rifle and gear - often times someone there may have a stock or other items to borrow, sometimes sell.

The important part is not to attend with a rifle with perfect specs - the important part is to show up. Get there and learn about shooting, about your rifle and about your heritage - you can build on it from there.

Good luck

The important part is not to attend with a rifle with perfect specs - the important part is to show up. Get there and learn about shooting, about your rifle and about your heritage - you can build on it from there.
Good luck

Thanks for the response, and as a newbie, this is probably the best advice...

However, I'm not as hopeless as I made myself out to be. I have a perfectly good excuse for cross-threading the screw: [smile]

I was in a rush (the missus and the kids were creating chaos, causing me to put down the freshly lock-tite'd screw for a minute or two), and was in an awkward position when I came back and tried to force the screw in there (key word == "force")....hoping it wouldn't have "locked" up the thread before i got the screw in there.

Anyway, I plan to drill a hole before putting in the sling mounts. I would like to get some swivels on there someday, as I've already got the sling!

see you on the 16th!
-steven

Hi all,
Signed up for the appleseed on Feb 5-6 at Harvard and I'm pumped. Been working on the LTR and finally hit a snag. Working on the Tech sights and I am having difficulty removing the front sight. Hitting it L-R but cannot get that baby to move. I admit that I have not hit it real hard but hard enough that I think it would move. Anyone else have this issue and thoughts on getting it off?
Thanks

Hi all,
Signed up for the appleseed on Feb 5-6 at Harvard and I'm pumped. Been working on the LTR and finally hit a snag. Working on the Tech sights and I am having difficulty removing the front sight. Hitting it L-R but cannot get that baby to move. I admit that I have not hit it real hard but hard enough that I think it would move. Anyone else have this issue and thoughts on getting it off?
Thanks

Hit it harder. Seriously. Support the muzzle solidly on your workbench and smack the sh*t out of the front sight. It'll move. Hit it with a good solid punch, like a 1/4" one.

I have the barrel in a vise - trying to give it good support after I read about the possiblilty of bending the barrel. That is one of the reasons I am slightly timid with it.

I will give it a shot - I will let you know how it goes. Thanks

I wouldn't put it in a vise unless you're hitting so that the barrel is supported by one jaw or the other - IOW, if you're hitting the sight towards one of the jaws. What I did was to have the muzzle flat on my bench - I think I used a clamp to hold it down with the action over the other side.

Thanks - I guess I am still too afraid to screw something up - hit it a little harder but found myself maring that finish below it. I ended up taking it to FS where they pulled out a great tool to pop it out. The tool was something like this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=732798
Anyway - its out, new sight on and now I need to put some serious rounds through it before the shoot.
Thanks again for the help. Perhaps I will meet some of you Feb 4-5 at the Appleseed in Harvard.

Every so often there is a "goup build" for AR-15s or 1911s, etc.

Does anyone think there is enough interest in a group LTR build, either to build yours out of a stock 10-22 or to tear down, service and make adjustments to a built one? Maybe even sight in? It would never fit into an Appleseed day, but could be a good saturday morning or afternoon event?

I put one together a couple years ago. I had the same worries about hitting too hard, not using locktite, etc... I never did get the ejector installed right and reinstalled the stock one.

I couldn't answer the question as to interest in a group build, but if there were one, I think you'd want to contact Smithy on the Appleseed forum (he might be here, I don't know) and have him there. I've been at Appleseeds where he did a lot of this stuff by taking rifles on and off the line, without people missing many, if any, courses of fire.

Back
Top Bottom