The Liberty Training Rifle

You CAN shoot a Rifleman score with a Remington 513t; I've seen it done. By a guy shooting LEFT-HANDED. His score was somewhere in the 240s.
I would be shooting lefty. How does one calculate a score ? I only see those silhouette and small square 25 yard target set up.

The MA schedule should be up in another week or so, but we've already got the Harvard Winterseed and some Leyden shoots on the calendar. Hope to see you at one.
Won't be making anything soon would be late in the year at best.

I'd try a Winterseed, provided the shooting shed is fully enclosed, heated and has deep pile carpeting.

We can usually arrange deep pile snow. I find the best shooting shed is actually a 3 part ensemble - good boots, good overalls, and a good oversize shell coat. You then get total control over your heating, cooling, and insulation, and it's extremely portable.

IMG_3132.JPG
I would be shooting lefty. How does one calculate a score ? I only see those silhouette and small square 25 yard target set up.

Score is off the silhouette targets. Example in attached photo. Keep them all in black (or most of them) and you will earn a patch.

When I practice by self I set four minute timer, and shoot all forty rounds with running clock.

View attachment 218659

Score is off the silhouette targets. Example in attached photo. Keep them all in black (or most of them) and you will earn a patch.

When I practice by self I set four minute timer, and shoot all forty rounds with running clock.
printed up some 50' ones and will use my daisy 853 I think i can get all the shots off in 4 min even single loading and calking the rifle.

is there a score value for the V ?

No extra points for V. However, if you are somewhat numbers driven there is a use.

I have an excel spreadsheet where I log in all my practice targets. Simply the date, rifle and ammo used, and scored for each of the four stages with the number of Vs. Spread sheet them gives me total score (cook or rifleman), and total number of Vs (center hits). You can track your progress. Plus certain patterns show up. If # Vs drop off, time to check things, (first being is my group still centered, but most likely I am dragging wood)

In my case, I always score best off hand. Sitting just below standing. Always lowest smallest prone target. Prone always determines if Im a cook or rifleman.

So I made some adjustments. Sitting (I have had work done on both knees) I adjusted form to one that worked with me. Now scores about same as standing.

Prone - as the surgeon said, he repaired my back but didn't make it any younger, and that was almost 25 years ago. I am always going to have to work hard here. Plenty of dry fire (stretching) helps. Plus I shoot the smaller ones first, so if (when) I get uncomfortable prone I am on the larger prone targets which are larger and only count half as much. So I spend four times as much time practicing prone as the other two combined.

Also was not surprised that I shoot better with 10/22 with upgraded trigger than I do with my AR (with dedicated AR upper but almost 5 lb mil spec trigger.) But the AR makes me work on trigger control, which helps my 10/22 scores even more.

Although practice is good, get thee to an Appleseed. I had fun, I found the instructors REALLY good. First time I really understood natural point of aim. They picked up I have ingrained tendency (life long habbit) to "drag wood" and I suffer from "happy finger". Plus shooting prone, I miss someone tapping bottom of my right boot to get it into proper position. If I wasn't scheduled out of town, I would be heading to the Winterseed coming up at HSC.

My # one tip for an Appleseed, if you aren't shooting, you should be reloading mags!

its all fun for me. I shoot NRA and CMP but the appleseed targets are good fun for me. I doubt i will have time for a apple seed anytime soon.
I have arthritis in my hips that really plays on my shooting positions. sitting is a pain i never really know how i will sit sitting, often i wing it and set up with NPOA best i can. prone is another position thats tough on my hips. I can not do the "sniper" position with legs straight back and feet turned out and flat. i do more of a modified plastic toy solder position although i still cant have my toes on my straight leg pointing out. Off hand is off hand im either on it or not.
i will have fun at 50 foot targets at home with the daisy 853 basically going to try and single load as fast as i can through each stage and see how i do.

Finally figured out my moa per click for the daisy 853 and how much it changes impact at 50' . I printed up some ATQ 50' targets on the back of some SR1 targets so I get better holes in the target vs regular paper that tears
Also just a note: the "size" of a MOA target is .00349" per foot
25' = .08725" 50' = .1745" ( 177 cal pellet) 100' .349"
Working at 50 feet a 1" bull is about 6 moa
I will post pics later

that was fun and interesting. Basically just ran through the 40 shot course of fire as fast as I could: not easy and of course as soon as I had a few minutes to do it the clouds rolled in and the temp dropped. Loading 17cal pellets with cold arthritic hands slowed me down!
If8DN0v.jpg

I missed it by that much! 207 had 2 misses ? Fun...so if you folks cant make it to apple seed you can at least have your own event.
nnPZxi5.jpg

I should have known to take a minute or so to the right as I do when shooting cmp...o well not to bad for a pump air rifle . cold fingers and rushing 40 shots in 12min 50 sec

that was fun and interesting. Basically just ran through the 40 shot course of fire as fast as I could: not easy and of course as soon as I had a few minutes to do it the clouds rolled in and the temp dropped. Loading 17cal pellets with cold arthritic hands slowed me down!
If8DN0v.jpg

I missed it by that much! 207 had 2 misses ? Fun...so if you folks cant make it to apple seed you can at least have your own event.
nnPZxi5.jpg

I should have known to take a minute or so to the right as I do when shooting cmp...o well not to bad for a pump air rifle . cold fingers and rushing 40 shots in 12min 50 sec

Using the 30 cal rule you may have scored as high as 218 :D

Hard to tell by eye, but you should find an empty casing and check!

Mac1911,
Nice target. It is difficult to maintain Natural point of aim while reloading and pumping every shot.

Regarding knees and sitting you have option at stage 2 to shoot kneeling if that helps.
oh hell no on the kneeing, that's a instant piercing burning hip day right there.!

I don't get to the big range often so I need to keep myself entertained here.
If there are others out there stuck at home or indoors I recommend picking up one of these reconditioned 853s from the CMP before they run out. They are plenty accurate enough to test your skills. copy and past for order form
thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/DaisyUsedRifles.pdf
  1. Cached
  2. Similar

Last edited:
Well... several years later, I still have one "stock" LTR, and my personal 10/22 is wearing a Revolution Tundra thumbhole stock and a Kidde barrel. Shoots even better! But I still have that old Weaver on there.

BUT... For not a lot more, I have a rifle pretty much built to the LTR specs: the new Tippmann Arms M4-22.

AR platform, aluminum upper and lowers, mags that are the same size format as an AR mag, controls all the same, 9" MLOK free-floating handguard, BUIS, and (in the Appleseed version) a sling and a second mag. Pro version doesn't include the sling and forward mounts or the second mag.

Rifle was $489.95; mags are $25 ea and the sling & forward mount comes to another $48.

So far, I'm REALLY pleased with the M4-22.

Now the bad news... it's got a collapsible stock and a flash hider. Pretty sure that makes it verboten in MA and NY. BUT... you Mainers and Granny staters can get one! (I started carrying them in my shop, that's how much I like these rifles.)

Back
Top Bottom