The Liberty Training Rifle

Both the wife and I will be going to the Harvard Appleseed. What distance should I zero the .22LR LTRs? The first day is all .22LR at 25yds, right? Second day is at 100? Can it also be .22LR?

You'll be shooting at 25 meters the first day at least. Don't worry about where your zero is (G-d, how many times have I posted this? [laugh]); as part of the program you will be zeroing your rifle and you will learn HOW to zero it... and how to adjust it for shooting at different distances, too.

So, Im ordering tech sights now for my ltr build. Do I want the TSR100 or TSR200?

Also, so many people seem to be swapong out barrels. It that really needed to get ok accuracy out of a 10/22?

My build was going to be tech sights, hogue over moulded stock, new extractor, and one of those hammer/seer kits.

Last edited:
Most likely you want the TSR100. I don't think you'll ever really have a need to set elevation on the rear sight. There were issues with the TSR200 not coming with the correct front sight post, that might have changed though.

My LTR has tech sights, new extractor, hammer and the bolt release fix. Thats all you really need... you don't need a pimp gun to shoot rifleman, I've even seen people do it with a completely stock 10/22. Would I recommend that? Definitely not, but the need upgrades are really just the convenience ones (minimize malfunctions, better sights, easier bolt release).

My experiences are somewhat different - I'd get the 200 series - reasons are as follows:
the longer front sight post is included - this was an issue for me with the 100 series and resulted in a second order - the longer post is included in the 200 series - also, the small amount of elevation available is something I see as a good thing. My next set will be the 200 series for the above reasons but I do not have first hand experience with them, only the 100 series.

Either way - get the sight adj tool in your order the first time

Good luck

I ended up going TSR100, I'm already shooting better! (I still suck though )

I seem in this thread a few people say not to use longer mags, why? I currently have 4 mags, in matched pairs, stacked on top of one another. ( so I mag hangs out of the gun upside down ). Is this an issue?

I seem in this thread a few people say not to use longer mags, why? I currently have 4 mags, in matched pairs, stacked on top of one another. ( so I mag hangs out of the gun upside down ). Is this an issue?
Because if you're using the sling and holding the rifle correctly, the extra long mags will be sticking down into your support hand's wrist.

Come to an Appleseed Shoot. I will guarantee that by the end of the first day you'll be looking for a saw to take those two paired mags apart.

Because if you're using the sling and holding the rifle correctly, the extra long mags will be sticking down into your support hand's wrist.

Come to an Appleseed Shoot. I will guarantee that by the end of the first day you'll be looking for a saw to take those two paired mags apart.

I used one of those plastic adapter clip with a dot of glue, so they pop right apart..... No prob there. I'll probably just pick up a few more mags, the joined ones are fun for shooting cans....

Thanks for the heads up on the length, I wouldn't have ever thought of that.

drb

I used one of those plastic adapter clip with a dot of glue, so they pop right apart..... No prob there. I'll probably just pick up a few more mags, the joined ones are fun for shooting cans....

Thanks for the heads up on the length, I wouldn't have ever thought of that.
My pleasure. You're welcome.

BTW... I have a couple of 30 round banana mags for my 10/22. Used to use them all the time... until I put a sling on and found out how to use it. The hicaps are pretty much safe queens now. Just can't bring myself to get rid of them given this state's AWB though since they're pre-bans.

I ended up going TSR-100, I'm already shooting better!
Yeah, the Tech Sight aperture sights are really nice compared to the standard Ruger ones, aren't they? [grin] Although you went with the TSR100, I figured I'd toss in here what I did that I'm VERY happy with. Sprocket's post is relevant:
My experiences are somewhat different - I'd get the 200 series - reasons are as follows:
the longer front sight post is included - this was an issue for me with the 100 series and resulted in a second order - the longer post is included in the 200 series - also, the small amount of elevation available is something I see as a good thing. My next set will be the 200 series for the above reasons but I do not have first hand experience with them, only the 100 series.

Either way - get the sight adj tool in your order the first time

Good luck
I was waffling on whether or not to go with the Tech Sights for several reasons - I'd heard bad things about the front sight both in terms of durability and having to swap out the post, I wanted sights that would let me mount a scope as well (under 30 w/ eyes of a 70 y/o [sad]), and I did not want to have to use a tool to move the windage.

I can honestly say now that the worries about the durability of the from sight were unfounded for me - it's at least robust enough for regular use. I've dropped it and dropped things on it (by mistake [shocked]) and haven't thrown off the zero or broken a wing. I'd prefer a full hood, but it's easy enough to see.

By calling them directly, I was able to order the TSM-200 rear sight with the Ruger front sight and extended post already installed, for the same price as the TSR-200 setup. The TSM-200 does not require a tool to adjust windage and mounts directly on the Ruger rail leaving me room in front for scope mounts. In the future, I may move to a cantilever front rail with a scout-style scope, but in the meantime it still works very, very well.

I started exploring a Williams Fire Sight for this, because I want some of the light gathering ability from the fiber tube thingy. I'm hoping at some point before I head down that path again, that Tech Sights people will just come out with that option.

I started exploring a Williams Fire Sight for this, because I want some of the light gathering ability from the fiber tube thingy. I'm hoping at some point before I head down that path again, that Tech Sights people will just come out with that option.
Remember that you can use any standard AR-15 front sight post.

This fiber optic front sight post will give you 2.5" incremental adjustments (must turn 180 degrees to adjust) on an AR-15. Might be more or less with the different sight radius of the Ruger w/ Tech Sights, but it can be corrected a little with the rear elevation adjustment if you have a TSM/TSR-200, so it might be an option.

Alternatively, this one is fully adjustable to keep the sights parallel, but it's a little more money.

I don't know what the overall height is, but obviously you could put on any front sight you wanted, so long as it's close enough to the overall height of the Tech Sights setup that you can adjust it to a proper zero with the elevation adjust on the TSR/TSM-200.

I looked at the Williams Fire Sight but decided not to get it because of the lack of any repeatable rear sight adjustment. (Well, it can, but it requires light to see it, and it's continuous not discrete - read: hard to repeat - adjustments.) I also saw more complaints of the rear sight loosening than I had heard about any and all combined Tech Sights issues.

Looks like the folks at Tech-Sights have come out with a new front site for the Ruger - all steel and from what I read on appleseedinfo.org it can adapt for slightly larger/smaller front dovetails.

May have to get one for my two Tech-sighted LTRs.

Looks like the folks at Tech-Sights have come out with a new front site for the Ruger - all steel and from what I read on appleseedinfo.org it can adapt for slightly larger/smaller front dovetails.

May have to get one for my two Tech-sighted LTRs.

Damnit Ross! There goes more money! At least it gives me an excuse to order a new one since I have beat the current one I have all to hell...

Damnit Ross! There goes more money! At least it gives me an excuse to order a new one since I have beat the current one I have all to hell...

I'm remembering how my boat-owning friends describe their boats. Something about a wooden (or fiberglass) hole in the water into which you throw money. I'm suspecting that a gun-safe is similar... [thinking]

I'm remembering how my boat-owning friends describe their boats. Something about a wooden (or fiberglass) hole in the water into which you throw money. I'm suspecting that a gun-safe is similar... [thinking]

The two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day the bought is bought, and the day the boat is sold.

Preparing for my first Appleseed this summer, finishing my 10/22 LTR following this thread's opening LTR recommendations.
So far I have completed all but the sling and swivels (hogue stock has studs already).

I have two questions about slings and swivels:

Numrich no longer has the Black M1 Garand sling in stock (1" width I am guessing based upon swivels).
On the phone they were unsure if they would get them in 1 month, 1 year or never.
Is there another place to find a proven quality performing replacement sling and suggested source?
Sling link copied from first page --> http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?catid=0&filter=984970

Am I correct that the Talon Swing Swivels are recommended in the 1" size instead of the more popular 1.25" size?
I only ask as 1" slings don't seem as widely stocked.
Swivel link copied from first page --> http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=943877

Thank you to all for the suggestions.
Thank you also to Dwarven1 for including sling part updates on the opening page!

Last edited:
Honestly - don't get too hung up on which particular sling, etc. you get - the important thing is to have a sling as it will make a dramatic difference in your groups.

A simple 1" wide sling and swivels are far better than not having a sling at all.

Sorry I can't comment on your specific question

Preparing for my first Appleseed this summer, finishing my 10/22 LTR following this thread's opening LTR recommendations.
So far I have completed all but the sling and swivels (hogue stock has studs already).

I have two questions about slings and swivels:

Numrich no longer has the Black M1 Garand sling in stock (1" width I am guessing based upon swivels).
On the phone they were unsure if they would get them in 1 month, 1 year or never.
Is there another place to find a proven quality performing replacement sling and suggested source?
Sling link copied from first page --> http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?catid=0&filter=984970

Am I correct that the Talon Swing Swivels are recommended in the 1" size instead of the more popular 1.25" size?
Swivel link copied from first page --> http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=943877

Got it backwards, go with the inch and a quarter if you can find it. I used the uncle mike's 1.25" quick detach swivels: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=774577. The appleseed store has some nice USGI 1.25" web slings for $12.50 that do the trick nice.

Contrary to what Sprocket just said, try for the Garand style web sling. Anything is better than nothing but if you have something other than the web sling make sure YOU know how to adjust it, we instructors are not masters of all equipment, and some of those cheap slings are really hard to adjust!

I've bought from Northridge International before. He appears to have new canvas and used nylon Garand type slings in right now. Both are more expensive than the Appleseed store, though.

I have to agree that the Garand sling is your best bet for an LTR.

Looks like either the part number changed or I just put the wrong link down - you want the 1.25" swivels. I've corrected the first post; my sincere apologies to any who ordered the worng parts.

I've also changed the link to go to the Appleseed Store site for their nylon Garand sling.

Contrary to what Sprocket just said, try for the Garand style web sling. Anything is better than nothing but if you have something other than the web sling make sure YOU know how to adjust it, we instructors are not masters of all equipment, and some of those cheap slings are really hard to adjust!

No offense taken - I defer my advice for those with more experience than I - Best idea wins IMO. That said, I am setting up an LTR with the recommended equipment as opposed to what I used to gain my patch/orange hat - just offering a way of thinking out side the box.

Knowing your specific equipment is definitely the way to go.

Saw these slings today, 4 for $15: new U.S. Military M16 Silent Slings.

Not a bad deal and these would be fine if you are only doing a hasty or a hasty-hasty sling. If you look closely they have no quick detach in the rear part of the sling so doing a loop sling will be a PITA unless you don't attach it at the bottom at all. The ones at the appleseed store are cheap, have the quick detach and quick adjust. With one of those you can set it, mark your settings with a pen, and then get into any sling position you need in a few seconds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom