The Liberty Training Rifle

Brand new 10/22's are in the mid $250's. I called and asked many stores - they were all above $200, usually in the $250-$300 range.

The prices of .22s are going up, most likely, because people are resorting to .22 during the ammo bubble.

Brand new 10/22's are in the mid $250's. I called and asked many stores - they were all above $200, usually in the $250-$300 range.

The prices of .22s are going up, most likely, because people are resorting to .22 during the ammo bubble.

Check out AG Guns. They will probably have to order it for you but they'll get it within 1 week. I picked up two from them about a year ago. They list $195 cash, $200 credit for the basic model. Call first!

Pete's in Adams had three when I was there a couple of days ago. The cheapest was $219 (used), with a scope. There was another for $239 (I think) new. And there was a stainless for something over $300 ... $349 mebbe?

The cheap one looked good. I nearly bought it. I just ... didn't have any money. [sad2]

Dick's in Pittsfield had a higher price, as I recall. I stopped there on the way home from Pete's. The Lodge guy actually said that Pete's price was the better deal.

I'd like to know where to get the rifle for $10 [smile]

Seriously, how do I go about getting something I can afford? Like, is there anything in the $100 range? Really what I want is the $50 range but that doesn't sound realistic, but I don't know-

I just want something simple I can use to go to Appleseed with, and train some on- I can get all fancy later-

Thanks [smile]

Nearly every gun shop in the U.S. will have a Marlin 60 on the rack for $100 or less. Not an exaggeration. [grin] Any gun shop worth a damn would also be happy to call you when they get one in, if they don't already have one.

Nearly every gun shop in the U.S. will have a Marlin 60 on the rack for $100 or less. Not an exaggeration. [grin] Any gun shop worth a damn would also be happy to call you when they get one in, if they don't already have one.

Dittos on the Marlins. I have a Marlin 60, and just got a Model 80 for my son this week (actually, he paid half). The Mod. 80 was $159, but it's mint, and came with a scope. But the racks are lined with cheap 22s of every description, many under $100.

BTW, I'm seeing a crapload of H&R Topper single-shot shotguns for $59 and up, wherever I go. What's up with that? Did a warehouse just get discovered somewhere?

I have seen 10/22's on this board for as little as $65... I have seen other .22 rifles on this board anywhere from $75-150. So keep a lookout on the WTS threads. Also you can get a brand new 10/22 for like $119 if I remember correctly so if you go to a place that has used ones you may be able to find one for $100 or so.

Best of luck on the search.
I want to know where YOU shop...

I picked up a beater of a 10/22 for about $100 - needs some serious TLC cleaning it up. I may even have to replace the bolt; not sure yet. However... Yankee Artifacts has some 10/22s listed for around $139. They'll ship it to your FFL, so you'll have to pay the transfer fee.

Dick's has them for $199.99 - at least, that's what they're always marked at when I'm there.

Hm...the Dick's I called said $270! Same with Four Seasons, Collectors, C+F Guns, and Bass Pro Shops.

No big deal. I'm very happy with my Marlin 60 so far. Just gotta find a decent scope and/or sights for it now.

What's the difference between the Model 60 and Model 80? How are the .17HMR for "Liberty Training Rifle"? They say the .17HMR is like the .22 or .22Mag, but out another 75 yards.

BTW, I'm seeing a crapload of H&R Topper single-shot shotguns for $59 and up, wherever I go. What's up with that? Did a warehouse just get discovered somewhere?

I don't know, but even though they aren't highly regarded, at $60 it's worth it, in good shape. A nice pleasingly basic shotgun.

How are the .17HMR for "Liberty Training Rifle"? They say the .17HMR is like the .22 or .22Mag, but out another 75 yards.

It's not so much the difference in the rifle or accuracy as the difference in price. The .22lr is about $25/500. .17HMR is about $125/500. Unless someone can point me to a better price?

saw a 10/22 for 125 and kicking myself for not grabbing it to pass on - this will not happen again.

marlin 60s are cool guns too - sweet shooting and accurate

The LTR model is fun to build but not a requirement

They work well, but ammo is expensive.

Enough ammo for a Northeast area Appleseed would cost you more than $200.

I wonder how much it costs to feed a .223 AR, or an AK, or something larger for one of these shoots. Zoinks!

I want to know where YOU shop...

I picked up a beater of a 10/22 for about $100 - needs some serious TLC cleaning it up. I may even have to replace the bolt; not sure yet. However... Yankee Artifacts has some 10/22s listed for around $139. They'll ship it to your FFL, so you'll have to pay the transfer fee.

Kittery Trading Post - and your right the price has gone up but they are worth consideration.

For the 10/22 Buyer:
If you call ahead you can normally get the exact cost and style as they have many variants.
You can also browse the used guns and they normally have a few there also.

After shooting a couple shoots with Eagle Zephyr sights then switching to Tech sites, get the Tech Sights with the extended post. Also get the adjustment tool in the same order (or an AR A1 style tool, same thing).

While the Tech unit is twice the Zephyrs, so is the performance/usability.
my .02

Figure 500 rounds minimum and as much as 750 - 1000 rounds.

7.62x51 is close to $1 / round now so count on spending $700, or about 10 times what the course fee is...

Two of us together shot a little over 1500 rounds this past weekend at the Simsbury Appleseed. We were not allowed to shoot anything before 11:00 on Sunday morning. If we were, my guess is tha we would have and would have shot a bunch more.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how this sight compares to the "Tech Sight" one.

Williams WGRS-RU22 Guide Receiver Peep Sight Set with Fire Sight Ruger 10/22 Aluminum Black

The reason I ask is because I like the fiber optic front, which is not available on the "Tech Sight" ones. It also doesn't hurt that it is 43 bucks. I found this sight from Post #48 here: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=855845#post855845

Edit: Here is another one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=143961

Last edited:
The drawback I see to either of those sights is that zeroing will be a bit more difficult than the TechSight would. The TechSights click adjustments are repeatable so moving your group center 2 inches is a calculatable number of clicks, where the other sights require loosening the sight, sliding it a smidge, hopefully not past where you needed, and trying again.

That said, once you have the other style sights zeroed, they'll work fine, until you want to adjust again. Zeroing them might feel a bit like you're chasing your own tail - changing to different ammo and adjusting to changing light conditions or different shooters will not be as simple as 'click-click'.

If you're looking for a fiber optic front, there are several companies that make fiber front sight posts for AR15s, which will replace the post on the TechSight. I haven't tried any of them, but if you look on Midway in the AR15 Front Sight Posts category they have a few. Brownells would be another good place to look.

The really nice part about click-adjustable sights is that once you know your ballistics - IE; how many clicks to move your POI up when you move from, say, 25 yards to 100 yards - you won't have to resight it in, just move your sights the right amount of clicks, and you're done.

I highly, highly recommend using click-adjustable sights Coyote33. Having shot competitively with .22s in the past, click sights take almost all the guess work out of zeroing in your gun. As KMM696 said, being able to calculate with clicks makes shooting much easier. Moving the front post around the barrel is dreadful and requires far more movement (thus screwing with your position).

LaRocca Gun Works in Worcester had a couple of nice looking 10/22 carbines in stock today. One was $149, and one was $199 (this one had a Volquartsen target trigger in it and an extended mag release - halfway to an LTR already!).

I'm wondering how this sight compares to the "Tech Sight" one.

Williams WGRS-RU22 Guide Receiver Peep Sight Set with Fire Sight Ruger 10/22 Aluminum Black

The reason I ask is because I like the fiber optic front, which is not available on the "Tech Sight" ones. It also doesn't hurt that it is 43 bucks. I found this sight from Post #48 here: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=855845#post855845

Edit: Here is another one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=143961

The downside to the WGRS and even the 5D series is, as others have pointed out, the lack of click adjustment. It will slow you down some at an Appleseed, but if you zero it in before hand you'll have a pretty good feel for how much to adjust it once you're on the line. If you're rushed or nervous or have 10 thumbs you can find yourself constantly over-adjusting and hunting for the right amount of "slide" before you tighten the screws. Click adjustment prevents that. To get that in a Williams sight you need to go with the FP series, $64 at Midway, plus you have to buy the fiber optic front as well (around $18). The upside to any of the Williams sights is that you can swap apertures easily ($7-9 each) if you want a larger or smaller one.

I have a Williams 5D on a T/C Classic 22, and I plan to upgrade it to an FP. I have a set of tech sights for my 10/22, but haven't installed them yet, so I can't give you a fair comparison.

I just figured I'd add in my post here as reference:

10-22 LTR help

Uncle Ogre, have you done the Tech Sights yet, so you can give a comparison?

Thanks everyone, and Happy New Year.

Both the wife and I will be going to the Harvard Appleseed. What distance should I zero the .22LR LTRs? The first day is all .22LR at 25yds, right? Second day is at 100? Can it also be .22LR?

Both the wife and I will be going to the Harvard Appleseed. What distance should I zero the .22LR LTRs? The first day is all .22LR at 25yds, right? Second day is at 100? Can it also be .22LR?

Depends on the club if you go longer distance the 2nd day. We stayed at 25m both days last year at Harvard. Don't worry if you can't get it dead on, they'll teach you about IMC (inches minutes clicks).

Back
Top Bottom