• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tacticooling a 590a1

Hi Guys,

Anyone else own a 7 shot 590a1? If so, what did you add to it? I'm trying to find a heat-shield for it (Aimpro has been out of stock since forever :/) and a replacement sight, either a better bead/blade or some ghost rings. What have you guys done to yours?

This seems to be a bit of a tricky gun to modify due to the short heavy barrel.

I got the one with all the magpull stuff on it already, so its pretty tacticool to begin with. Best thing to get is a milsurp m9 bayonet, the USMC one looks nicer but isn't secure on the bayo lug. I put mine on there while I'm at the shotgun range doing trap shooting.

e: I had a primary arms red dot on there for a year or so but the lenses kind of caved in and the dot crapped out, presumably due to recoil.

Last edited:
Put a light on there and call it good. What is it with people on here needing to transform every long gun into a fudging Christmas tree?

CDM Gear light mount with a FourSevens Tactical QT2L-X, S&J Hardware +2 extension, welfare sling.

Anyone else own a 7 shot 590a1? If so, what did you add to it? I'm trying to find a heat-shield for it (Aimpro has been out of stock since forever :/) and a replacement sight, either a better bead/blade or some ghost rings. What have you guys done to yours?

Wtf is up with that? I've been checking their site for like a year and they keep promising it will be in stock "soon". So annoying cuz its the only one that fits the thicker 18.5" barrel even with with GRS.

Anyway, I plan to add that heat shield and classic 590 wood furniture (corncob forend + stock). Just need the damn heat shield. Maybe not full tacticool but think it will look cool.

Throw a side saddle and light on then call it good. Mesa tactical is nice. I also like GGG.

Side saddle , speed feed 4 round stock, ghost ring nights sights and a surefire for end.

Heat shield on a shotgun? Why? :confused:
So you don't burn you fingers when using the bayonet, silly.
bPa2K2Q.jpg

Put a light on there and call it good. What is it with people on here needing to transform every long gun into a fudging Christmas tree?

Well I'm not trying to dress it up super fancy, I just do want the night sights, a good light, and the heat shield. Also its a "tactical shotgun" its meant to look good in your safe until you take it to the range or someone breaks into your house, why not have some fun with dressing it up.

Wtf is up with that? I've been checking their site for like a year and they keep promising it will be in stock "soon". So annoying cuz its the only one that fits the thicker 18.5" barrel even with with GRS.

Anyway, I plan to add that heat shield and classic 590 wood furniture (corncob forend + stock). Just need the damn heat shield. Maybe not full tacticool but think it will look cool.

I thought I was the only one who felt this pain. They've been out of stock for months. My biggest regret is not buying one when they did have it in stock. I had it in my cart but I just had to wait for an email confirmation that it would fit with the +1 extension.

Heat shield on a shotgun? Why? :confused:

To be fair the barrel does heat up fairly fast. But the real reason is it looks cool and I want one.

Nearly two years ago, I bought a "Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater" PGO because it was the only PGO I could find in stock in S.NH:
54123_blackwater-tfb.jpg

Took it apart entirely until I was left with a bare receiver, ordered a stock from Shockwave, and the #92514 SBS kit from Mossberg:
92514-2.jpg

Then about this time last year, just after I finally had all the parts and found time to put them together, Mossberg announced the factory-made 590 Shockwave edition.

Even so, it was a fun build. Now I just need one of these carry cases:
sw_012_msacc_covert-bag_01s.jpg

I have 2 590's, one sits in my wife's closet and the other is in my kitchen by the back door. The only thing I did to them was replace the retarded speed feed stock and pistol grip with Hogue youth stocks to shorten them up a little and add sling plates at the magazine extension and USGI slings. Tactical shotguns are a waste of money that you will hate yourself for sometime in the future. Instead of buying tactical trinkets, buy 3-400 rounds of bird shot, 50 rounds of 00 buck, and 50 slugs, and shoot all of that while practicing reloading from your pocket.

I have 2 590's, one sits in my wife's closet and the other is in my kitchen by the back door. The only thing I did to them was replace the retarded speed feed stock and pistol grip with Hogue youth stocks to shorten them up a little and add sling plates at the magazine extension and USGI slings. Tactical shotguns are a waste of money that you will hate yourself for sometime in the future. Instead of buying tactical trinkets, buy 3-400 rounds of bird shot, 50 rounds of 00 buck, and 50 slugs, and shoot all of that while practicing reloading from your pocket.
I concur with this. I owned a tactical 870 a while ago. It sat unused. Shooting it at the range was marginally fun at best so I got rid of it. I’ll only get another shotgun for hunting.

I concur with this. I owned a tactical 870 a while ago. It sat unused. Shooting it at the range was marginally fun at best so I got rid of it. I’ll only get another shotgun for hunting.

I don’t think shotguns suck, just that they serve a specific purpose, and that purpose is not random range fun, usually.

Back
Top Bottom