South Paw about to purchase first AR-15 (more help please!)

I am a lefty and the only AR's i can find in my area are standard right hand config. I know i can get a ambi safety but my biggest concern is the brass flying in front of my face. A buddy of mine was in the Marines and he said that they tried to get everyone to shoot right handed and if you couldnt you were SOL. He said that if the man next to you went down you had a better chance of being able to pick up his gun and use it.

My question: Is is that much of a problem having the brass fly out in front of my face? He is asking $1500 for a RRA Entry Tactical A4. I know it is high but i have not seen too many othes availabe for much less. IT is brand new

thanks in advance

I am right handed but left eye dominate as such I cross over for pistol shooting and shoot a rifle left handed.
I own an AR10T and have not been hit by brass yet.

I'm lefty and have a couple normal AR's. Just learn to use the righty model. It's not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be. Just wear a long sleeve when at the range and you'll be fine.

Right-handed friends shoot my left hand stag without any problems with brass. But I say hold out until things cool down and become readily available again (or just get on a waiting list).

I just ordered a Stag 2TL Lefty Stag tactical carbine directly form Stag. I spent about a month deciding what to do, watching the classifieds and knowing I did not want the A2 handguards but a quad rail. This ended up being cheaper. As long as you don't mind the wait. That is where we leftys are lucky. Righty wait time 25 weeks lefty 12-13.

It is going to be the first time I shoot without brass flying across my face. I am looking forward to it.[smile]

If you a MA shooter don't forget to ask for the MA compliant version. No bayo lug and a fixed muzzle brake. I think they catch it but I would put it in the notes.

Good luck.

Attachments

• model-2tl.gif
    model-2tl.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Southpaws unite!!!

A buddy of mine was in the Marines and he said that they tried to get everyone to shoot right handed and if you couldnt you were SOL.

I'm left handed.

I was in the Marines for twenty years (1987-2007).

No one ever* tried to get me to shoot the M16 right handed, unless it was during MOUT training where everyone was shooting from their non-dominate side around opposite corners. Your buddy must have gone to San Diego.[grin]

I know i can get a ambi safety
Don't worry about it. Learn to use the safety as is. Curl you fingers around the pistol grip and stage your thumb on top of the safety. When it is time to shoot; click off the safety, wrap your thumb around the pistol grip into a firing grip, and press the trigger. Like anything else, with a little practice you can get smooth and fast with it. You can do this faster than the time it takes to present the weapon to the target.

but my biggest concern is the brass flying in front of my face.
Don't worry about it. Keep you eyes on the sights and you will never see the brass "flying in front of your face", it won't hit you either.

*The so called experts at SAWIC (circ. 2000) tried to tell me that lefties couldn't shoot the M249 SAW left handed. At that particular time I had completed two deployments as an Automatic Rifleman and earned a Meritorious Mast as a result of my capabilites with it.

Stag sells Left AR's

Stag Left Hand Upper/AA NES Lower
10_08_2008004a.jpg

10_08_2008003a.jpg

Last month Collectors had a left handed Stag flattop NIB for $830. They said there's plenty of left handers available. I'd try them out first.

I've hunted for over 20 years shooting a 12 ga semi - yeah the flying brass is there but then I don't really see it for the birds beyond. 22LR guns are also part of the regular rotation, nothing here to report.

I try to shoot all guns in the righty config so I can pick up almost anything and be able to run it. I have a rifle with a lefty safety and simply carrying it with gloves moves the safety to fire...I need to switch it asap as this is a hunting rifle.

That said, I'd like to shoot a lefty gun and see if there's a difference with the shells.

Do a search for the lefty Stag and you'll see that its a touch more than just the upper - controls need to be adjusted too - bolt release/mag button IIRC. It's important to know. I have an article from "Gun Buyers Annual Black Guns 2009" magazine that details the Stags pretty well. PM if you'd like a scan of it.

Bolt action on the other hand, I'm having a hard time running one smoothly - the whole switch hands or point the gun up to cycle thing is just a PITA - my bolt gun will be a lefty or I'll just shoot from a rest.

I am also right handed and left eye dominant. Love my Stag lefty but have no problems shooting other rifles lefty. I don't even see the brass any more.

I am lefty and have a Stag model 2HL. I've shot many AK and AR's and have never felt "comfortable" shooting the right handed guns with the brass flying. I never got hit in the face but the flinch factor was always there. The options are out there for lefty guns and i would hold out and get a lefty if you can. I paid $850 for my gun in November, $1500 is out of control for a gun that won't fit you as well as a stag.

AR15sales.com sells complete left handed, post ban stag parts kits shipped directly to your house for $700. Add a reasonably priced lower and you got a gun for around $850, $900 bucks.

Remember you are part of the lefty elite, no compromise.
MB

You only live once! Just get the Stag lefty. I have one with LH uppers in two calibers. My main reason for going with the lefty is that I lost the sight of my right eye long ago and do everything I can to protect the left one. I am left handed. Jack.

I think it you made a good choice. I agree with others that you could shoot the righty. I just figured it would be nice to get one in the correct configuration now in case we can't later. Welcome to the waiters club. We should start a Stag waiting thread.

Last edited:
I am a lefty and the only AR's i can find in my area are standard right hand config. I know i can get a ambi safety but my biggest concern is the brass flying in front of my face.

Dear fellow Lefty, welcome to the club that also includes our current president. I have no trouble shooting my 20" or 16" barrel AR, and I am very sensitive to lefty/righty issues. I even own a Benelli Super Black Eagle, left hand.

Get the ambi safety and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom