Should I apply for MA license?

I haven't seen it in my area.

See: http://www.uspsa-ne.org/matches.html

There are monthly USPSA matches at Harvard, Hopkinton, and Monson. Steel Challenge matches at Harvard. Monthly IDPA matches at Harvard and Woburn.

During the summer, you can basically shoot an action pistol match every weekend within 45 minutes of Boston.

There are also a ton of service rifle/match rifle matches at Reading, Woburn, and elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Thx. I'm sure I'll feel a lot safer being taught to comply with MASS training after all these years.

Yea, I know. I don't support the required training law, I'm just trying to explain my understanding of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking I could possibly use it for IDPA (with the thought to use mybEDC) once I learn more, but, right now, I'm struggling with re-engaging the safety, when shooting (non-dominant) left handed.

You don't need to be able do that for IDPA.

Don't subsidize the Commonwealth. It's what? $100/yr on top of having to buy stupid ten round magazines when you cross the state line? More hassle than it's worth.

See: http://www.uspsa-ne.org/matches.html

There are monthly USPSA matches at Harvard, Hopkinton, and Monson. Steel Challenge matches at Harvard. Monthly IDPA matches at Harvard and Woburn.

During the summer, you can basically shoot an action pistol match every weekend within 45 minutes of Boston.

There are also a ton of service rifle/match rifle matches at Reading, Woburn, and elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, I know. I don't support the required training law, I'm just trying to explain my understanding of it.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't need to be able do that for IDPA.
We were doing single hand shooting, and transferring between hands, with instruction to safety between transfers. With the runner grips, there's not a lot of purchase to push up on. I can't seem to do it yet.

sent from my phone.

Don't subsidize the Commonwealth. It's what? $100/yr on top of having to buy stupid ten round magazines when you cross the state line? More hassle than it's worth.
Came across my mind...supporting a government with such an anti-gun position. I'll likely defer, until I get to the point where I want to try competition and want to try in MA.

Sounds like there are choices in my home state and surrounding.

sent from my phone.

We were doing single hand shooting, and transferring between hands, with instruction to safety between transfers. With the runner grips, there's not a lot of purchase to push up on. I can't seem to do it yet.

That is not something that is typically required in IDPA.

On rare occasions, a course of fire requires a transfer to the support hand. But those are relatively rare. And the rules do not require you to apply the safety during a transfer. If an SO claims that you must, tell him to show you the rule in the rulebook that requires it. He won't be able to do so, because it isn't there.

Would it be preferable to apply the safety while transferring the gun between hands? Yes. Is it required by the rules? No. If you really want to be able to do this, then have a gunsmith install an ambidextrous safety.

I shot a 1911 in IDPA for years. Mine had a single side safety. This was never an issue. I was an IDPA SO.

Most courses of fire that require you shoot support hand have you start with the gun in your support hand, and allow you to lower the safety before the buzzer. You can transfer to your support hand with the safety on, then lower the safety with your strong hand thumb reaching over the gun, then get ready and wait for the buzzer. On unload and show clear, reach over with your strong hand thumb and apply the safety, transfer the gun to your strong hand, and then unload and show clear as usual.

Last edited:
That is not something that is typically required in IDPA.

On rare occasions, a course of fire requires a transfer to the support hand. But those are relatively rare. And the rules do not require you to apply the safety during a transfer. If an SO claims that you must, tell him to show you the rule in the rulebook that requires it. He won't be able to do so, because it isn't there.

Would it be preferable to apply the safety while transferring the gun between hands? Yes. Is it required by the rules? No. If you really want to be able to do this, then have a gunsmith install an ambidextrous safety.

I shot a 1911 in IDPA for years. Mine had a single side safety. This was never an issue. I was an IDPA SO.

Most courses of fire that require you shoot support hand have you start with the gun in your support hand, and allow you to lower the safety before the buzzer. You can transfer to your support hand with the safety on, then lower the safety with your strong hand thumb reaching over the gun, then get ready and wait for the buzzer. On unload and show clear, reach over with your strong hand thumb and apply the safety, transfer the gun to your strong hand, and then unload and show clear as usual.
Thanks for the info. The P938 has ambidextrous safety. I can easily turn it off, but struggle putting it on with my left. The thick rubber grip doesn't give much to push on.

sent from my phone.

Thanks for the info. The P938 has ambidextrous safety. I can easily turn it off, but struggle putting it on with my left. The thick rubber grip doesn't give much to push on.

sent from my phone.
Oh, and the mag release is only setup for right hand.

sent from my phone.

sent from my phone.

Again, you don't have to do that in competitions.

Just a note for others who may be looking at getting their MA LTC. The MGL says it will accept MA hunter's ed cert. in lieu of a safety course cert. MA hunter's ed courses are free. If they are going to impose a training requirement then you may as well make them pay for it.

Not as handy for non-res licenses since you would have to go to MA to take the course. Just something to keep in mind.

1) That would take legislation. The non-res LTC expires every year, by statute. From what I understand, the FRB is going to change their policy from requiring an in-person interview every year to an in-person interview every 6 years. But you will still be required to renew every year, because the legislature has not changed that law.

2) Yes. Your NRA instructor credentials don't include being taught about MA laws, which is part of the required curriculum for the MA safety courses.

#2 may not be 100% accurate as you did hold a MA LTC in the past. The current statue waives the training requirement for former LTC holders. I didn't have to submit proof of MA Training with my Non-Res LTC Application

If you had a Mass ltc after 1998 you don't need the safety course. Further they will renew you after a lapse of longer than a years time. In my case I was renewed after a 6 year period.

Wait so can I not transport through this state if I move? Without a non res permit. My family is members at Holbrook and I'd like to make them jealous

Wait so can I not transport through this state if I move? Without a non res permit. My family is members at Holbrook and I'd like to make them jealous

You can Transport THROUGH the state, if you are legal in your origin and destination locations, but AWB and magazine limits still apply as long as you meet the FOPA transport requirements.

You cannot transport into the state (a significant stop beyond food/bathroom/fuel stops)

You can Transport THROUGH the state, if you are legal in your origin and destination locations, but AWB and magazine limits still apply as long as you meet the FOPA transport requirements.

You cannot transport into the state (a significant stop beyond food/bathroom/fuel stops)

Thats just stupid glad I asked tho.

Back
Top Bottom