• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Updated: Is it Possible to Re-apply for LTC in another city MA?

Was the application Denied or “Declined”? Do you have a denial letter?
That is the big question, once you find that out……
You need to ask Neil Tassel what the next steps are.

Yes. That was the reason, but I did not intentionally lie to them.
You did. You were arrested and didn't tell them.

Anyway, call Neil Tassel.

The advice, I know it is too late for this but good reference for others, is to always call an attorney if you have been in any trouble BEFORE filling out an application.

My buddy was arrested for drunk fighting in a bar like 10 years ago. I believe he was 17 at the time. He called one of the NES attorneys (following my advice) and the attorney told him what to write. It was a 10min phone conversation, didn't even charge him for it.

I am not saying attorney advice will be free or you should expect it to be free. But most of the time they will speak for 5, 10, 15min without charging you unless it is a thing they need to take on. Even if they charge you, it is not big money to consult them once.

The mistake people make, which you are learning ghe hard way, is not consulting an attorney from the start. This ends up costing them more later.

If you have ever been in any trouble, and you are filling out any sort of government form that asks about any arrests or crimes, call an attorney. Don't Skinflint.

not being a lawyer or do i know massachusetts gun law, my question is, even if the new town was "green", wouldn't the rejection and why come up in some sort of background search they must do before issue of a ltc? if yes, wouldn't that influence the new towns decision whether to issue or not?

Two words: Legal Counsel.

You will have to answer YES to the "ever been denied" question. This is not always an obstacle, but you are in a tough spot since you were denied by a MA chief for cause, and you will be asking the new chief to go against a decision by a member of the brotherhood - VERY difficult.

To be honest with you, I have spoken with 2 attorneys and their advise wasn't really clear. their answer was 50-50. Told me to reapply and see what happened.

You need a gun attorney like Langer, Tassel or Guida. If the attorney doesn't understand the term "misdafelony" (not the issue in your case) you are in the wrong office.

If there was an expungement under the law of the state in which you were arrested (unlikely since you mentioned nofile, but not expungement) you answer may have been legally truthful under the doctrine of "legal fiction". An expungement likely did not happen, since the record was still there, and expungements don't just happen without an application by the arrestee or convict, and are only available in some states/circumstances.

I was denied once - RI claimed I did not supply my training certificate with the application. I still believe I did, but the obvious solution was to provide another copy after which I was undenied and the RI permit issued. I have disclosed this on every MA renewal since and never had a problem - and I always hand the licensing officer my RI permit to confirm the undenial. I've never had any problem with this, and don't have to sweat "will they find out?".

If the question about applying in another town means you are willing to move to that town just move to NH.

Now you need to know (even if you move out of state) is if you were denied. It is possible the local official just pre screened the application, called you and tossed it. (Probably not though)

Because that question will come up again.

You need an attorney the specializes in MA firearms

If the question about applying in another town means you are willing to move to that town just move to NH.

Now you need to know (even if you move out of state) is if you were denied. It is possible the local official just pre screened the application, called you and tossed it. (Probably not though)

Because that question will come up again.

You need an attorney the specializes in MA firearms
Well, I already moved. NH is not an option due to the work-home distance.

All well and good, but you were arrested and then you said you weren’t. That is a lie. You do understand that right?
So any innacurate info a person provides is a lie? Jesus.

and for the OP - As has been previously suggested you should contact @nstassel

Were you arrested? "no" = lied.

It is pretty clear.
gun owners are their own worst enemies. He misread the question or he forgot. Without even thinking for 5 seconds I just gave you 2 plausible reasons that he gave wrong info. But hey what the hell. Let's convict him of being a liar right here and now.

ETA there are other people here that have said that the question can be confusing. Are they liars too?
He even stated in the OP that he thought he didn't have to disclose it. Wouldn't a lie at least require that he knew he was hiding something he was supposed to disclose?

So any innacurate info a person provides is a lie? Jesus.

and for the OP - As has been previously suggested you should contact @nstassel
No, I didn’t say that. He answered no to the question when he knew the answer was yes. Hopefully he can get it worked out.

gun owners are their own worst enemies. He misread the question or he forgot. Without even thinking for 5 seconds I just gave you 2 plausible reasons that he gave wrong info. But hey what the hell. Let's convict him of being a liar right here and now.

ETA there are other people here that have said that the question can be confusing. Are they liars too?
He even stated in the OP that he thought he didn't have to disclose it. Wouldn't a lie at least require that he knew he was hiding something he was supposed to disclose?
Thank you for your response. I wasn't aware that I needed to answer "yes" to that part. Have I lied in my life? Yes. Some users criticized me, thinking I was dishonest. My intention in posting this comment was to seek friendly advice or guidance, and I received it. I've decided to consult with an attorney.

Last edited:
To be honest with you, I have spoken with 2 attorneys and their advise wasn't really clear. their answer was 50-50. Told me to reapply and see what happened.

You have received some really good advice above and you should consider following it.

As @Rob Boudrie said; You need the right lawyer to maximize the chances of a good outcome. This is not the time to skimp with the “wrong” lawyer. You need an expert in Mass firearms law. Period.

IMG_2875.gif

No, I didn’t say that. He answered no to the question when he knew the answer was yes. Hopefully he can get it worked out.
In the first post "I want to clarify that I did not intentionally provide false information."
People keep insisting that he knew and that he lied.

Problem is that you really have to be very careful about how you fill out government forms, more so when it's a gun permit, and even more so when it's a state like Massachusetts.

I was arrested a number of years ago. My permit was revoked. The charges were nolled. Per statement of my attorney, and confirmed by the court, I can legally state that I've never been arrested. I've made that statement on more than one form.

However - every weapons permit application I've filled out since has had two questions -
1) Have you ever been arrested?
2) Has your weapons permit in this state or any other ever been denied or revoked? If so, why?

I could state that I've never been arrested, but then I have to state that my permit was revoked. Which of course leads to the explanation that it was revoked because I was arrested - and subsequently re-issued. Hasn't been a problem for me to date; I have my resident permit and four non-resident permits.

You were arrested, said that you weren't on the form - and that's a problem because per your own statements, you weren't convicted - but that's not what the form asked. Now you've got the additional problem that your application may have been denied. If it has been, then you're in the position of having to state that it's been denied. That's a problem not just for MA, but for every application.

So, that's all history at this point.

Don't have any further contact with any police departments. Get professional, competent counsel. Yes, it will cost you, but you're already in the hole, and you don't have the right tools to get out of it.

Were you arrested? "no" = lied.

It is pretty clear.
I don't like the draconian system of licensing in MA but who forgets being arrested? It's like E Jean Carroll saying she can't remember what year or what season of the year she was raped. Yup, NO=Lie

Honesty is the best policy. I used to work in Dedham and heard the Chief of Police is a fair guy. If I recall in my town I never met with the C.O.P both times I renewed my LTC. He had another member of the police force handle the licensing and renewals as far as I could see. If you live in Dedham you should be fine if you fill out the application right this time and explain your situation at the bottom of the page along with any documentation you may have. https://www.dedham-ma.gov/departments/police/firearms-licensing

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsIpGh3HoXg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom