Should I apply for MA license?

Paleoman

NES Member
Hi,

I'm a NH resident, who has taken the Sig Sauer Handgun 101 class back in April (and have been continuing to take classes since, and for the foreseeable future). I have the form they give you for applying for a MA license.

In mY longer term goals, I think I'd like to try IDPA or similar competitions as a way to practice what I'm learning. It may be a year or more (I need to work on my skills and learn more about the competitions), before I give competition a try.

Here are the questions...

Will there be ample venues in NH for the various competitions?

Would there be more options to compete in MA (Eastern), when I get to that point?

I have the application and training certificate for a MA license from April class, should I submit it now (I hear it takes a long time)?

Will my training certificate expire and not be usable later on?

Would subsequent training classes be usable for the MA license application, if the original certificate expires?

Thanks in advance!

IMO, the non res LTC is not worth it if competitive shooting is what your after. Stay north of the border. There's a better gun culture in VT,NH and ME. Not all that much going on down here in comparison. If you come down here to visit just carry knives and pepper spray and try to stay out of shitty areas.

if i lived in NH, I would never set foot in MA again. hopefully that answers your question.

Ive been a lifelong MA resident with a strong secondary home for 20 years. I still have a 1/3 family tie in this state that will soon shrink to 0/0. I also still have an employee/employment connection.

I'm standing on a banana peal waiting for my last trip northbound. When I leave... I leave for good. I'll drive around the state or carry thru it like other friends do and take my chances.

In short these takers can suck it. That is what they have set for a goal line and that is what I'm doing.

Seriously... I can see in 5 years, Mass will require that all guns are single shot... maybe two.

"Large Capacity" is after all a moving target given the current state of affairs

OP, if you think you're going to shoot enough competitions in MA to warrant $100/yr plus a trip to Chelsea during business hours, you should apply and cite Competition Shooting as your reason. They'll restrict you to sporting/hunting, but you'll be legal transporting firearms and ammunition into the state.

There are a number of clubs that are running USPSA/IDPA matches in Southern New Hampshire (Pelham, Dunbarton, and I'm sure there's more)

Be aware that if you apply and get turned down you must report it on your NH P&R permit application every renewal.

Very few people get denied for a Non-Resident License, most get restrictions, likely due to the annual income from every non-resident license.

As for getting non-restricted, the way my interviewer worded it, I needed to make the case that I was more of a target than the average Joe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you allowed to bring guns into any state for a specific competition?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you allowed to bring guns into any state for a specific competition?

Only if you have a license from a state whose laws follow certain conditions. According to Jason Guida, no states laws meet those conditions, therefore the exception's preconditions are never met.

IMO, the non res LTC is not worth it if competitive shooting is what your after. Stay north of the border. There's a better gun culture in VT,NH and ME. Not all that much going on down here in comparison. If you come down here to visit just carry knives and pepper spray and try to stay out of shitty areas.

This is not true. Massachusetts has a thriving pistol competition scene and the OP would lose out by not coming down here.

I believe you cert. is good for 5 yrs from the date you took the course.
That would be great, as I could defer until I decide to get into any competitive shooting and then determine whether or not I would benefit from having the ability to carry in MA.

How can I confirm the duration for the certificate?

This is not true. Massachusetts has a thriving pistol competition scene and the OP would lose out by not coming down here.
Good to know. Of course, I need to learn more about the different competitions that are available, and what would be appropriate for my goals.

I'm looking for ways to practice my defensive shooting skills, more that what I can do at a public range. It sounds like IDPA would be one option.

Are there places where one can practice for competitions? Private ranges?

I've started the Sig Sauer defensive shooting classes. Great way to learn, but it's an expensive way to practice. :)

Per MGL, it is good for life . . . but each chief can make his own decision.

I read through the relevant MGLs and didn't find any mention of duration/limitation of the validity of the cert. Then I ran across the quote above. I would take Len at his word. He is a very reliable source of info.

I believe you cert. is good for 5 yrs from the date you took the course.

Absolutely WRONG!

Be aware that if you apply and get turned down you must report it on your NH P&R permit application every renewal.

True, but the state (FRB) doesn't screw people over on suitability BS. If the OP has a clean record, there is zero chance of being turned down. Restrictions are another story however.

That would be great, as I could defer until I decide to get into any competitive shooting and then determine whether or not I would benefit from having the ability to carry in MA.

Simple, as Wrench75 stated and quoted me, MGL and CMR has NO expiration for certs. For MA Residents, some chiefs make up their own rules and won't accept certain certs, certs older than x, etc.

However, be aware that MSP is considering putting an expiration on certs by changing the CMR. Hasn't happened yet, but likely it will happen without much notice when it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Also be aware that even with a MA NR LTC, you can't bring in any >10 rd mags unless they were mfd on/before 9/13/1994, as possession by anyone other than LE is a felony for new larger capacity mags. I know that many competitive shooters ignore this law, but they do so at the risk of a 10 year prison sentence possibility if they get caught.

Most states have competition exceptions - even NY state has a competition exception. As someone mentioned earlier, the MA competition exception is written so poorly as to be useless. There is no federal level competition exception that over rides state laws.

Absolutely WRONG!

True, but the state (FRB) doesn't screw people over on suitability BS. If the OP has a clean record, there is zero chance of being turned down. Restrictions are another story however.

Simple, as Wrench75 stated and quoted me, MGL and CMR has NO expiration for certs. For MA Residents, some chiefs make up their own rules and won't accept certain certs, certs older than x, etc.

However, be aware that MSP is considering putting an expiration on certs by changing the CMR. Hasn't happened yet, but likely it will happen without much notice when it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Also be aware that even with a MA NR LTC, you can't bring in any >10 rd mags unless they were mfd on/before 9/13/1994, as possession by anyone other than LE is a felony for new larger capacity mags. I know that many competitive shooters ignore this law, but they do so at the risk of a 10 year prison sentence possibility if they get caught.
Thanks for the info! I have an EDC Sig P938 that is 7 rounder. I knew about the 10 round limit, but it's definitely worth repeating, given the consequences.

sent from my phone.

Thanks for the info! I have an EDC Sig P938 that is 7 rounder. I knew about the 10 round limit, but it's definitely worth repeating, given the consequences.

sent from my phone.

Nice gun. I have one on order now. Not real good for IPSC or USPSA matches however.

Two quick questions. IT's been years since I lapsed my MA non-res permit.

1) Is it true that MA is going to make their non-res permit a 5 year expiration?
2) Do I have to take the MA safety course regardless of my current credentials in addition to being an NRA instructor?

TIA

Rome

1) Is it true that MA is going to make their non-res permit a 5 year expiration?
2) Do I have to take the MA safety course regardless of my current credentials in addition to being an NRA instructor?

1) That would take legislation. The non-res LTC expires every year, by statute. From what I understand, the FRB is going to change their policy from requiring an in-person interview every year to an in-person interview every 6 years. But you will still be required to renew every year, because the legislature has not changed that law.

2) Yes. Your NRA instructor credentials don't include being taught about MA laws, which is part of the required curriculum for the MA safety courses.

Nice gun. I have one on order now. Not real good for IPSC or USPSA matches however.
I was thinking I could possibly use it for IDPA (with the thought to use mybEDC) once I learn more, but, right now, I'm struggling with re-engaging the safety, when shooting (non-dominant) left handed.

No sure if that plan will pan out.

sent from my phone.

TIA

Rome

Rome,

1. There was a bill this year but it never saw the floor to be voted upon and thus it is almost certainly dead. I'm sure it will get re-filed and probably ignored again, given the leadership.
2. MGL says if you had a LTC/FID in affect in June 1998, you are exempt from taking a class. If you had a MA LTC subsequent to 1998 you'd also be exempt regardless of when it expired. That's the law and also the way FRB deals with NR LTCs (the 351 cities/towns make up their own rules for residents). There is talk that EOPS might change the CMR to allow expiration of certificates after 5 years, but it hasn't happened yet.

I was thinking I could possibly use it for IDPA (with the thought to use mybEDC) once I learn more, but, right now, I'm struggling with re-engaging the safety, when shooting (non-dominant) left handed.

No sure if that plan will pan out.

I don't compete and others here are more suited to answer your question directly, but from the scuttlebutt I've seen/heard it seems that other than the 1911, most guns used are 10 or more rounds.

I haven't seen it in my area.

These courses of fire seem to be more popular West of Boston and around Rte. 9 and North of that.

Back
Top Bottom