• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Capacity/Questiions in Massachusetts

Yes, you can ship to yourself via USPO, UPS ground or FedEx ground for long guns. With UPS/FedEx you have to ship ONLY from a depot, no MailBoxes, etc., FedEx-Kinkos or similar.

Confused & bewildered again. Boy it seems the more I read & try to decipher MGL the more I need an aspirin !
I'm trying to understand the rule before my next purchase of a semi automatic shotgun. Mossberg 930 spx and the so called "Hi-capisity" magazines that may be available.
According to this http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...140/Section121 we are not allowed to install a pistol grip Correct or not ?

No more that a 10 round mag. Correct or not ?
How about folding stock Yes / no ?
Anything else I should be aware of before purchase ?

And Yes, I have a LTC-A Hi capacity no restrictions LIC.

Confused & bewildered again. Boy it seems the more I read & try to decipher MGL the more I need an aspirin !
I'm trying to understand the rule before my next purchase of a semi automatic shotgun. Mossberg 930 spx and the so called "Hi-capisity" magazines that may be available.
According to this http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...140/Section121 we are not allowed to install a pistol grip Correct or not ?

My understanding is that you are allowed only one evil feature or you run afoul of the assault weapons ban -- pistol grip, or folding stock, or > 5 round magazine, or flash suppressor, or bayonet lug (and I'm probably forgetting some).

No more that a 10 round mag. Correct or not ?

Large capacity for a shotgun is more than 5 round magazine. More than 10 is for pistols and rifles. If you don't have any other evil features on the shotgun, then you could have a large capacity magazine on it. The thing is, however, I believe that magazine has to be pre-ban -- manufactured prior to 9/15/94. Since the 930 spx didn't exist in '94, I think you are stuck there.

How about folding stock Yes / no ?
Again, that is an evil feature. You only get one.

My understanding is that you are allowed only one evil feature or you run afoul of the assault weapons ban -- pistol grip, or folding stock, or > 5 round magazine, or flash suppressor, or bayonet lug (and I'm probably forgetting some).
The evil features for a shotgun are pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock, >5 round capacity, detachable magazine.

Large capacity for a shotgun is more than 5 round magazine. More than 10 is for pistols and rifles. If you don't have any other evil features on the shotgun, then you could have a large capacity magazine on it. The thing is, however, I believe that magazine has to be pre-ban -- manufactured prior to 9/15/94. Since the 930 spx didn't exist in '94, I think you are stuck there.

It's the position of Ron Glidden that fixed tube magazines do not count as LCAFDs. That's not how I read the law, but that's what Glidden says. Four Seasons and Dick's both sell shotguns with 7/8 round tubes(with fixed, non-pistol-grip stocks).

The evil features for a shotgun are pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock, >5 round capacity, detachable magazine.
Since folding stocks typically are on guns with a pistol grip, then I assume that would be two evil features, correct?

It's the position of Ron Glidden that fixed tube magazines do not count as LCAFDs. That's not how I read the law, but that's what Glidden says.
Wow. That's not how I read the law either, but IANAL (and neither is Glidden [laugh]).

So am I to understand that I could have either a folding/telescoping stock or the extended tube ? But not both ? I think the 930 is only tube fed, so that leaves the mags out.

So am I to understand that I could have either a folding/telescoping stock or the extended tube ? But not both ? I think the 930 is only tube fed, so that leaves the mags out.

You can't have both a folding/telescoping stock and a pistol grip. I don't know of any folding or telescoping stucks that don't have a pistol grip, but there could be one out there.

Thanks for clarifying this. I just wanted to make an informed & legal purchase.
Would love a Saiga 12 but Looks like I'll need to move out of state for that one.

Thanks for clarifying this. I just wanted to make an informed & legal purchase.
Would love a Saiga 12 but Looks like I'll need to move out of state for that one.

I think you could get a Saiga 12, provided that it doesn't have a folding stock and you use 5 round magazines (though that kind of defeats the purpose).

Correct me if I am wrong but if you need your tool kit to detach the feeding tube then it's not really 'detachable' ? If that were the case then my M&P 15 stock, new from the factory (pinned and screwed) would be 'adjustable' with a couple of tools?

I think you could get a Saiga 12, provided that it doesn't have a folding stock and you use 5 round magazines (though that kind of defeats the purpose).

Ya, she sure is sweet all decked out. Are the Saiga 12 known to be reliable ? I would think if properly maintained (cleaned) it would be.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you need your tool kit to detach the feeding tube then it's not really 'detachable' ? If that were the case then my M&P 15 stock, new from the factory (pinned and screwed) would be 'adjustable' with a couple of tools?

There are many ambiguities in MGLs, and also logican contradictions. One that I point out to people unfailliar with the confusion: A handgun in your glove box is generally not considered "under your direct control", but a bag of weed under it in the glove box, would be.

Ya, she sure is sweet all decked out. Are the Saiga 12 known to be reliable ? I would think if properly maintained (cleaned) it would be.

It also has to be properly built - do a search on the Saiga-12 forum for 'vodka special'.

Mine game from the factory with 2 gas ports, instead of the normal 4. Unfortunately, I bought it used with no warranty, and had to pay a smith to get busy with a drill, but it was worth the money.

There are many ambiguities in MGLs, and also logican contradictions. One that I point out to people unfailliar with the confusion: A handgun in your glove box is generally not considered "under your direct control", but a bag of weed under it in the glove box, would be.

Heads the DA wins, tails you lose.

It also has to be properly built - do a search on the Saiga-12 forum for 'vodka special'.

Mine game from the factory with 2 gas ports, instead of the normal 4. Unfortunately, I bought it used with no warranty, and had to pay a smith to get busy with a drill, but it was worth the money.

4 Ports got it Many Thanks !

It is/was the ATF's opinion that a thumbhole stock = pistol grip.

That was not my understanding. It was the ATF's opinion that a thumbhole stock was NOT a pistol grip. That was why you saw a lot of post-ban AK's with ridiculous stocks like this:

images

I have read it both ways. I guess I ask the ATF for a letter to clear it up.

Thanks

That was not my understanding. It was the ATF's opinion that a thumbhole stock was NOT a pistol grip. That was why you saw a lot of post-ban AK's with ridiculous stocks like this:

images

images

First it was okay. Then they...get ready for it...changed their minds.

Obviously there is nothing on the books about the subject in MA, but my guess is they would call it a pistol grip without flinching.

After a whole bunch of people had bought rifles with a thumbhole stock? Just great. [thinking]

Yeah. Kind of like when a whole bunch of people bought silencers and didn't know it. That one was their screw up though, so out of the goodness of their heats they allowed the issue to be 'corrected'.

I've asked this question several times and no one has ever been able to explain it. I know that a pump shotgun is by definition not high capacity, and a >5 round semi-auto is not an 'assault weapon' unless it has another evil feature (pistol grip, etc). However, why is an extended tube magazine not a large capacity feeding device? It seems it isn't on a pump, as evidenced by Four Seasons and others selling 8 shot pump guns. What's the story on a semi-auto?

The fact that they specifically exempt tube fed 22s suggests that a tube fed shotgun can be a LCFD. I really want to put an extended tube on a new shotgun for 3-gun, but I want to understand this first.

I read someplace, and no I cant find the site/quote/etc to reference that they reason a tube fed pump shotgun isn't high capacity is because the tube, when removed from the gun, is not a "Magazine" as it will not hold rounds (they fall out) and is thus just a piece of pipe. There was more to it, but I cant remember it all.

Last edited:
I read someplace, and no I cant find the site/quote/etc to reference that they reason a tube fed pump shotgun isn't high capacity is because the tube, when removed from the gun, is not a "Magazine" as it will not hold rounds (the fall out) and is thus just a piece of pipe. There was more to it, but I cant remember it all.

This is the best explanation I have heard and I really like it!

Back
Top Bottom