Seems like nobody fishes around here!

Most of these threads are about hunting, so I figured I'd start a fishing one.

What do you like to fish for? Personally, scup has been my favorite since childhood. Easy to catch and good to eat. I like fishing on light tackle. Just a personal preference, I guess.

I fish for Bass & Trout mostly. I do some Striper fishing. Last year I started getting into fly fishing.

Funny, I live within walking distance to the best waters in the state for Lake Trout/Salmon/Rainbow but never fish it. I hop in the car and drive 1.5hrs one way to get skunked in the CC Canal.

For freshwater I like to fish for trout or bass, but I'm happy to catch anything. Saltwater fishing is a whole other story. I like going for Stripers and Tuna. I usually go with my Uncle out on the Cape. I can't wait for the spring.

And make an offering of a couple pounds of lead to canal monster. I never get out of there without leaving jigs behind.

HA! You're not kidding. My worst night lost 8 jigs within an hour. I almost broke my rod across my knee that night. Then again once you have one good night nailing multiple 20lb bass hand over fist, you tend to forget all the bad.

The last 2-3 years have been really off for me there. When it was 1@ 36" there was plenty of large around. I think the 2@28" really killed the stock but that is another discussion.

Back on track- Anyone want to hook up (pun intended) and fish Wachu when it opens in April?

Large mouth bass mostly. I'll cast onto the cannal a few
times a year. I'll hit peters pond on cape for some sweet
smally action too. But for the most part,still fishing for my
8lb largemouth trophy.

HA! You're not kidding. My worst night lost 8 jigs within an hour. I almost broke my rod across my knee that night. Then again once you have one good night nailing multiple 20lb bass hand over fist, you tend to forget all the bad.
I'll take your word for it. I've fished the Canal 1/2 dozen times, and I've been skunked every time.

Starting fishing last year and really enjoyed it. Living close to the city, had a bit of trouble finding a good spot, also started late so didn't really have a lot of luck other than those small fish that eat the bait then swim away.

I pretty much just started fishing last year. I mainly fished boston harbor to scituate. I went out quite a bit last summer but ended up with only 2 stripers (32" and a 35"). It seemed all I could catch was dogfish. I probably caught 40+ of those damn things. I am planning on making my first trip out to stellwagen bank this summer which should be interested cause it will be the furthest I'll have gone on my current boat. Hopefully my luck improves this year.

Here is what I'll be fishing with primarily for reels this year:

Shimano Stella 20000SW w/ 100# Jerry Brown Line-One Hollow Core line(400 yards), Jigging Master T-Bar handle:
DSC01856.jpg

This reel is being mated to a 400g-800g custom new OTI rod. Rod is being shipped to me this week. This is my primary tuna setup.

Shimano Torium 30 w/ Trinidad DC internals, Carbontex Drag Washers, Reel Power T-Bar Handle, and 60# Jerry Brown Line-One Hollow Core line(550 yards):
DSC01862.jpg

This reel is being mated a 350g custom Black Hole NZ acid wrap rod. Estimated completion date is mid-march. This is my primary groundfish(cod, haddock, etc.) setup.

Here's about a 1/4 of my vertical jigs:
DSC01802.jpg

Tons more various poppers, plugs, pencils, needlefish, etc, for stripers.

Anyone wanna do some saltwater fishing this year?

Here is what I'll be fishing with primarily for reels this year:

Shimano Stella 20000SW w/ 100# Jerry Brown Line-One Hollow Core line(400 yards), Jigging Master T-Bar handle:

This reel is being mated to a 400g-800g custom new OTI rod. Rod is being shipped to me this week. This is my primary tuna setup.

Shimano Torium 30 w/ Trinidad DC internals, Carbontex Drag Washers, Reel Power T-Bar Handle, and 60# Jerry Brown Line-One Hollow Core line(550 yards):
This reel is being mated a 350g custom Black Hole NZ acid wrap rod. Estimated completion date is mid-march. This is my primary groundfish(cod, haddock, etc.) setup.

Here's about a 1/4 of my vertical jigs:

Tons more various poppers, plugs, pencils, needlefish, etc, for stripers.

Anyone wanna do some saltwater fishing this year?

Wow, That is some serious equipment. Nice!

I like freshwater. I usually pick a place to go and figure out what I’m most likely to catch there. If I go to the east side of the Quabbin I fish for large mouth or smallies, on the west side its trout. I might bring a fly rod to a stream sometimes too.

I don’t do well on a boat in the ocean. I try some shore casting if I’m going to be in the area but I don’t know what I’m doing so I never get much.

NTTF I fish the Upper Hudson River for stripers that is my son and I's number ONE mission.We got about 6 weeks for that starts up.
I aint got nothin fancy but my penn delmars ,jigmasters, and senitors aint eft up yet.I'd show yous some pics but site aint allowin it.
We fish for ocean ground fish have caught a tuna.We're poken holes in the ice now but come mid Apr. it's STRIPER Time till the end of May. I might be helpful so just ask. Joe and Joey Team Finn

Last edited:
I would love the chance to chase tuna on spinning gear if you ever need a second!

In return I can take you out bass fishing in central or western mass or light tackle striper fishing on the CT river when they run up chasing the herring. I have an 18 foot ranger bass boat.

Here are a few fishing posts..

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=280123

We're gonna have to get some NES charters going. I don't own a boat myself capable of tuna fishing, but know plenty of charter capts.

Trout mostly, but anything tasty will do. I actually just recently bought a setup to replace the one I lost a while ago. It'll be nice to finally get out and cast a few.

Back
Top Bottom