Looks like my days of shooting a bow may be over...

It's been a rough couple of months for me health-wise... Had an appendectomy on my birthday last month... That was awesome. Now my nagging left shoulder pain has been diagnosed as AC joint degenerative arthritis. I can't pull back my bow at this point. I don't know if the day will come where I will be able to do so regularly and without pain ever again. The orthopedic I saw today didn't seem to think so. I'm bummed about this. I lost last season to a job change. The few times I did get out I had a hard time climbing the tree, setting up the stand, etc... But I got around and got a few hunts in... But things haven't gotten better since and now it looks like I may not ever bow hunt again - which sucks. 44 is too young to be dealing with this stuff. Who knows how/why some things like this happen. I suspect the combination of weightlifting and pretty regular archery practice over the years, did the joint in...

Anyway... I'm thinking about asking my PCP to fill out the crossbow app. I understand I'll never be able to hunt with a vertical bow ever again. I'm bummed by that, but honestly, the path to where I would physically be able to do so seems to become less and less possible as more time passes. Then it occurred to me today - IDK diddly about crossbows either. So my question to the NES brain trust.... What brands should I be looking at? They all seem pretty bulky and heavy. Are there some that are less so? Is it better to have a compound type (with cams) or the kind that look more like a trad bow... Don;t know the technical terms here... sorry.

I can’t help with what crossbow is best for hunting but I will tell you it takes a LOT of arm and back muscle to cock one of them. I have a Barnett Jackal crossbow that is a mid weight crossbow and I have to put a good amount of effort before I can shoot it. A heavier crossbow for hunting is goi g to take more effort. Not trying to talk you out of one, just that it’s not the easiest thing to cock.

9AEA1369-ED09-4C9F-8193-233C4BBAA1FB.jpeg

Thankfully my back still seems to be in working order... I don't think I'll have a problem. How do you decock them?

I used discharge bolt. You load it and can shoot at the ground as the bolt has a ball on the end and it just bounces a little bit. NEVER dry fire a crossbow as it can crack your arms.

I "upgraded" to a Barnett 370 compound... and I have a bad shoulder.
No problems working the rope cocker, but if that's too much, it's set up to add a windlass/crank easily.

All said I'm into it for under $500 and that's including the bow/kit, a decocking / discharge bolt, some extra shafts, nice broadheads, spare wax/lube, and a "dampener" for the strings. It's more than enough power to take large game confidently and safely, and it's performed like a dream for 2 years now with plenty of back yard "plinking" on top of it. My only warnings are these - MAKE OR BUY A GOOD TARGET when you get into these 350+ bows because regular targets will kill your flights, never dry fire (use a discharge bolt), and make sure to wax/lube generously and frequently.

I know there's stuff in the $1000-$4000 range, including those slim reverse draw bows which are more narrow and generally punchier because of the reverse length... I didn't see the point of spending more. A little bit of weight savings, a fancy brand, and a slightly narrower setup didn't hold enough value for me to spend 2-8x more for a bow.

Last edited:
(sorry for being off topic)
Don't give up! You're a young buck. Fine a good physical therapist, work on strengthening at home, fish oil, range-of-motion. Keep the juices moving.

1620693616304.png

This chick is good. I see her videos from time to time. She's dead-on about external rotation exercises.

I’m sorry to hear that. From your posts here I know how much you love archery hunting.

I have been hunting with a crossbow from the ground for many years now and I am happy to share what I have learned.

They are all bulky and heavy to some extent. The newer ones have gotten much better balanced and as the technology has improved the limbs have gotten much shorter so they are easier to handle. The best thing you can do is to shoot has many of them as you can. Cabelas in E. Hartford has a good selection and range in the back. Call first though to make sure it is still running in these days of COVID.

Crossbows come in recurve and compound bow styles. I’m a fan of the recurve design and have an Excalibur Exocet 200lb draw.

Some things to consider:

With a recurve no bow press is needed so string changes are a snap. I keep a spare string in the truck. A string changer is needed to change the string and also to set the brace height as the string stretches.
With a 2x4 string jig you can reserve them as well.

Recurves are louder and wider than most compound style crossbows.

With a compound you need a bow press or shop for strings and cable servicing. They are quieter though.

Most compounds have an ADF (Anti-Dry Fire) device that will prevent a dry fire. Some have a switch which allows you to let them down. Some can be bypassed with an arrow stub. My Exocet doesn’t have an ADF so I just let it down with the cocking rope. My dad has a Parker compound that has an ADF so I just use a 6” arrow stub to disable the ADF and the arrow stub just falls to the ground as you let it down.

You would think a 200lb crossbow would be hard to let down with the cocking rope but it isn’t. The cocking rope really cuts it down.

The other option is to keep a small target in the truck to shoot into after hunt.

When it comes to broadheads you want a low profile broadhead like the slick trick or a good mechanical. Ke isn’t an issue with a crossbow. I use the NAP Spitfire. Arrows need a high FOC. I’m running about 26%.

I have done business with David at Wyvern Creations in NH and he is great. Wyvern Creations, Modern Crossbows and Accessories

I can also recommend Dan Miller @ Horizontal Archery (no relation) in Sardis Ohio for Excalibur crossbows. No website for Dan. He is ”old school”.

Both are a wealth of information.

I hope that this helps.

Bob

Last edited:
I "upgraded" to a Barnett 370 compound... and I have a bad shoulder.
No problems working the rope cocker, but if that's too much, it's set up to add a windlass/crank easily.

All said I'm into it for under $500 and that's including the bow/kit, a decocking / discharge bolt, some extra shafts, nice broadheads, spare wax/lube, and a "dampener" for the strings. It's more than enough power to take large game confidently and safely, and it's performed like a dream for 2 years now with plenty of back yard "plinking" on top of it. My only warnings are these - MAKE OR BUY A GOOD TARGET when you get into these 350+ bows because regular targets will kill your flights, never dry fire (use a discharge bolt), and make sure to wax/lube generously and frequently.

I know there's stuff in the $1000-$4000 range, including those slim reverse draw bows which are more narrow and generally punchier because of the reverse length... I didn't see the point of spending more. A little bit of weight savings, a fancy brand, and a slightly narrower setup didn't hold enough value for me to spend 2-8x more for a bow.

A good target is a must and the arrows will really bury themselves in the target without much to grab on to. These are the best arrow pullers I have found. They are made by Dan Miller of Horizontal Archery in Sardis Ohio.

IMG-0820.jpg

Reverse draw crossbows are narrower and much better balanced but are spendy and hard on servings.

Bob

Last edited:
That sucks. Sorry you have to deal with that. I’ve never bow hunted and probably never will as I have ever-increasing joint pain, mainly in the elbows to the fingers. If I end up having the Irish curse I may have to cut out red meat which would end hunting for me and that would break my heart. Even pistol shooting is becoming painful for me, and that’s one of my favorite things next to hunting. Getting older blows huh?! I’m 41.

Sorry man. I cant imagine checking out of bowhunting at 44 yo. 30-50 were my best years of bowhunting. I killed some big trophies in the northeast with some hard work.

That said at the same time I was doing that my dad was in your shoes and had to use the crossbow. He killed more big bucks with that thing than anything else. I would scout and he would shoot them.

As far as crossbows go dad had a cheaper parker compound and it did the job very well.

Me. Though I dont hunt in MA with the crossbow, I believe in a recurve for simplicity. I have the excalibur micro suppressor. Its small and compact and accurate.
I got a killer half price closeout deal on it and I bought it for out of state hunting. If I had to buy one at full price today id go with the micro axe 340.

That and all the info Bob and others posted is spot on as usual.

They have some real tech out there and super compact stuff like the Ravin, etc. But I like the simplicity of the recurve, and theres no way im paying 1500 plus for any crossbow. Just about any crossbow is pretty good nowadays. Youll find them way accurate at distance vs the vertical bow. You can take longer shots with more confidence as long as your not stupid about it.

A crossbow seems weird and awkward to me still carrying and hunting, but there is no doubt there is an advantage on first shot longer distance kills and being able to move and be seen by game way less. Using a scope, etc.

Just dont miss that first shot or youll find yourself with your dick in your hands and the deer still standing there.

Last edited:
(sorry for being off topic)
Don't give up! You're a young buck. Fine a good physical therapist, work on strengthening at home, fish oil, range-of-motion. Keep the juices moving.

View attachment 481523

This chick is good. I see her videos from time to time. She's dead-on about external rotation exercises.

Yeah. Arthritis is a diagnosis. It doesn't have to be a permanent one.

Shoulders are tough. Finding a good PT with some PRI experience is a must. Most modern pt kid's don't know when to ignore the book and listen to the body.

If the scapula is not properly settled and stable in the ribs, the same techniques which will help a stabilized person will make a non-stabilized person worse.

Then add breathing to that. Too many moving parts to just follow a textbook flow.

Shoulder guy

Hand/Wrist guy

P1000515a.jpg P1000516a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty bummed. It's quite painful to draw back my bow at this point. I haven't been able to practice in quite some time. Not too concerned about the crossbow cost. I have the benefit of good income. Although with this Biden hyperinflation Jimmy Carter redux economy, who knows how long that will last.

Can you buy crossbows online or do you have to go to a dealer... kind of like the compound manufacturers box you in?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty bummed. It's quite painful to draw back my bow at this point. I haven't been able to practice in quite some time. Not too concerned about the crossbow cost. I have the benefit of good income. Although with this Biden hyperinflation Jimmy Carter redux economy, who knows how long that will last.

Can you buy crossbows online or do you have to go to a dealer... kind of like the compound manufacturers box you in?

I highly recommend that you try out what you can before you buy as fit is everything when it comes to crossbows.

My go to for general supplies and non-Excalibur items is David @Wyvern Creations. He has been terrific.

My dad bought a Parker buck buster from David. We ordered it on a Friday and it was close to the season and after he got the mailing address he said that he had to get it out and he wills call back in a few minutes. He boxed up the order and got it out to the UPS driver and then called back for the credit card information to pay for the xbow he had just shipped.

For Excalibur items I go to Dan Miller @ Horizontal Archery. Dan doesn’t have a website.
Horizontal Archery, 37432 Fifth Avenue, Sardis, OH 43946, (740) 483-2312, (740) 483-2030

I purchased a used Excalibur Exocet on Archery Talk. I was having a problem dialing it in and I found that the trigger unit was moving which was causing the scope to move. I removed the stock and to my surprise I found the threads for the rear machine screw on the trigger housing were stripped (not the screw, the housing was stripped.)

I called Excalibur who put my in touch with Dan Miller in Ohio. When I explained the problem he told me to just send him the stock and he will take care of it. Not only did he replace the trigger housing under warranty when he had no obligation to, I explained that I bought it used on AT and wasn’t the original owner, I had it back in a week.

Both Dan and David are a wealth of information when it comes to crossbows as well.

Bob

I bought my Excalibur online because it was a half price deal only found online. Super easy to put together and get sighted in though. I'd say if your buying a recurve model or a straightforward compound type, get it online is fine. I bought my dad's Parker that way too, his was the older compound type and it was easy to set up and shoot. But I would need a press to change string and cable. Unlike the Excalibur where I can do it easily by myself in a minute or two.

Some of those super techy contraptions, you might need a specialized bow press for setup, you might not as most of these things come ready to shoot. In most cases you won't need to tune like a vertical bow, no sights, peeps, or anything like that. But if something is wacky with one of those Ravin type things I would have no idea, if spending that much a dealer would be best.

I had AC osteoarthritis in my right shoulder maybe 20 years ago. I had a clavicular resection, and that bought me the last 20 years of being able to do things (hold my babies, etc.), sleep at night, raise my arm over my head. Just recently, this shoulder is acting up again. Could be the same thing, might be rotator. Haven't had it looked at yet. I also had a near break Winter of 2019/2020 skiing. Then fell on it on a patio block Fall of 2020, but didn't x-ray it. I am wondering if I broke it, because it is still killing me. Can't take much ibuprofen any more because it doesn't play well with high blood pressure or the high blood pressure medicine or something according to my doctor.

Advice to everyone: Don't get old.

I hunt with a crossbow (shoulder surgery) . I use a Ten Point Viper S400. I love this thing . I got 2 bucks and a Turkey with it last fall. Its Expensive $1600 package with arrows . You cock and uncock it with a crank handle . No need to frire it to uncock it . its 7 inches wide and deadly accurate. I look at it this way i paid $1300 for my last compound bow so its not too much more. Very satisfied with the Ten Point Viper

You can buy online but at some point you may need a factory rep to make a repair. I'm currently looking at getting a Ted Point Vapor RS470. Pretty pricey but I figure I'm worth it!

sorry to hear about your shoulder, i too had to give the bow up after my stroke.

I Bought a Ravin r15 from David at Wyvern Creations in NH and he is great. Wyvern Creations, Modern Crossbows and Accessories

super accurate, easy to crank to cock or de cock, and a great combo of quiet and fast. got a double last year, which tells you how quiet you can load if careful.

good luck, and I'm sure you will enjoy the extended reach a cross bow gives

Had rotator surgery 2011, hung up the Bow, got the xbow permit. Been shooting Tenpoints since then. Will never look back either. Adapt and overcome. It's just as challenging. TP has the best warranty as well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom