Seems like nobody fishes around here!

The Cape Cod bay is loaded with Stripers right now. My friends dad has a slip in the canal and all his buddys have been calling him telling him how the fishing has been unbelievable as of late.

Flounders were just about jumping in the boat this past weekend in Boston Harbor. Headed out there again this weekend. Yum!

Here's a little schoolie from last week:

IMGP0414.jpg

Went out of the Merrimack early today.
Sea robins, mackerel, cod and herring. No keepers.

Don't forget to register with NOAA this year.

Last edited:
(Squished) Let me use my $$$ Stella to jig for cod ...... LOL. Dude - that IS too funny. :D You need to use a plain jane Penn 113H w/ aluminum spool loaded w/ 65 lb PP - they are simple and great at winching up doubles from down in deep water. You can buy about 6 for the cost of the Stella! [laugh]

Is that other conventional reel a Torium w/ an aftermarket power handle? I use a Torium 30 as well, but prefer the Penn 113H. I jam the rod in the gunnel and just crank on the handle LOL.

Glostaman = boat fish don't count. [wink] Last time out in a boat w/ my buddy in CT we were getting lots of fish in the low to mid 40" range -> drifting eels is killer!!

(Squished) Let me use my $$$ Stella to jig for cod ...... LOL. Dude - that IS too funny. :D You need to use a plain jane Penn 113H w/ aluminum spool loaded w/ 65 lb PP - they are simple and great at winching up doubles from down in deep water. You can buy about 6 for the cost of the Stella! [laugh]

Is that other conventional reel a Torium w/ an aftermarket power handle? I use a Torium 30 as well, but prefer the Penn 113H. I jam the rod in the gunnel and just crank on the handle LOL.

Glostaman = boat fish don't count. [wink] Last time out in a boat w/ my buddy in CT we were getting lots of fish in the low to mid 40" range -> drifting eels is killer!!

Stella for cod was a BLAST. And yes that's a torium with aftermarket handle and internals(carbon fiber drag, trinidad DC pawl/spring upgrade, etc).

I'm all done with 113H's, those things are way too heavy and the retrieve is way too slow. High speed jigging is where it's at.

113H w/ aluminum spool is not that heavy. The diameter of the spool is greater than the Torium so the actual amount of line that comes is a lot more than you give it credit for. Do this test: tie on 20-30 lbs of weights and crank it across the floor. The 113 SMOKES the Torium in terms of effort involved. [smile]

I'm not making it up - I've have already done this test. Try your Stella like that as well and see how it feels. [grin] The old Penn 9500ss did surprizing well for a spinning reel (much better than my Spheros 14000).

You type too darn fast as well LOL. [laugh]

113H w/ aluminum spool is not that heavy. The diameter of the spool is greater than the Torium so the actual amount of line that comes is a lot more than you give it credit for. Do this test: tie on 20-30 lbs of weights and crank it across the floor. The 113 SMOKES the Torium in terms of effort involved. [smile]

I'm not making it up - I've have already done this test. Try your Stella like that as well and see how it feels. [grin] The old Penn 9500ss did surprizing well for a spinning reel (much better than my Spheros 14000).

You type too darn fast as well LOL. [laugh]

Now now, lets look at the specs. The 113h weighs 28 ounces, the torium 30 is 23.3. So that saves about 5 ounces right there. Gear ratio on the 113h is 3.25:1 and the torium is 6.2:1, almost twice as fast. The 113h's I'm just sorry to say are outdated and really have little place in vertical jigging. They do work great on bait rigs and cranking like a winch from the rod holder as you mentioned though. Not my style of fishing though.

As for the Stella, no real can even come close to what those can accomplish. 55lbs of drag, smooth as silk, what a reel.

I'm talking about PURE winching power of the reel. Go tie on the weights and REEL it across the floor and you will feel the reel BIND up. The Torium binds ups and wants to twist when you reel it - effort involved is much greater than with the Penn 113H.

I don't vertical jig so I don't know what it involves. I know they use those long butterfly jigs with one or two of those hooks that have some line tied to it already. [laugh] So when you hook into a fish you you just pump it like mad and reel like a SOB? My back would give way doing that - it must be a young guys thing.

Next time you visit your girlfriend, pop over earlier and bring your reels along and we can test them. [grin] Were you still looking for saltwater poppers?

I'm talking about PURE winching power of the reel. Go tie on the weights and REEL it across the floor and you will feel the reel BIND up. The Torium binds ups and wants to twist when you reel it - effort involved is much greater than with the Penn 113H.

I don't vertical jig so I don't know what it involves. I know they use those long butterfly jigs with one or two of those hooks that have some line tied to it already. [laugh] So when you hook into a fish you you just pump it like mad and reel like a SOB? My back would give way doing that - it must be a young guys thing.

Next time you visit your girlfriend, pop over earlier and bring your reels along and we can test them. [grin] Were you still looking for saltwater poppers?

watch some youtube of high speed vertical jigging.

Also, my torium doesn't bind, it's got some special goodies in it.

Nice boat fish dude. [grin]

We got some smaller fish in the mid-high teens last week down in the Cape Cod Canal on pencils. It has been hit or miss so far. Record for me getting down there twice before June rolled around ! [laugh]

bah, calling it a boat fish, it's a fish! boat or surf, same thing. [wink]

Best part of the catch, caught on a hi-lo rig with clams.

Last edited:
LOL - nope, in fishing tournaments for stripers, there are TWO categories: boat fish and shore fish. [grin] There is some factor they use to determine how many points each one carries. It makes a difference obviously otherwise they wouldn't have it. [laugh] 50 lb shore fish carries greater bragging rights than 50 lb boat fish. Ask any hard core fisherman.

Hi - lo w/ clams?! Bait?! Arghhh.....I'm a lure guy 99% of the time. I've used those once with some sand eels many moons ago. All I caught were spider crabs.[rofl] Stripers do LOVE eels!!!

Back
Top Bottom