• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR OR TAVOR?

Lest we not forget that the Tavor must be sent to Pennsylvania for the bolt to be switched from Right Hand to Left Hand.

I was one of the last people they sent a LH bolt to. Cole from IWI made me promise to check the headspace before I shot it. They install it for free and include return shipping for the same amount they used to charge for just the bolt and wrench. So this isn't about making more money. The downside is that insured shipping can run $40 to $60

I am mostly left handed but was taught to shoot righty as a child.

if we start listing issues with gun setups for lefties we are going to have one damn long thread. I stopped keeping track long time ago. And the L/R issues get magnified with any bullpup. Maybe we start new thread for lefty woes? Hahaha

I will say the tavor is an excellent rifle... im just an AR fanboy. If the tavor had a shorter LOP and weighed less I would have been happy.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Lest we not forget that the Tavor must be sent to Pennsylvania for the bolt to be switched from Right Hand to Left Hand.

So its not a user serviceable conversion? Well, I guess its -really- not ambi then.... [laugh]

Well you can still shoot it left handed and the safety cam he switched over... all other controls are already ambi.

Its a silly debate since lefties arent real people any more the strippers are anyway.

Mike

Last edited:
please elaborate.

in the course of my tavor cleanings, it seemed fairly clear how to go R -> L bolt configuration.

also, this guy swaps R -> L in under 5 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CyxeYn-1Sw

here he swaps everything R -> L, including bolt and charging system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0rgEXlTO-Q

I think they're saying that IWI will no longer just sell you a LH bolt, that they are requiring you to ship your rifle back to the factory. Lawyers probably got involved.

I shot a Tavor this weekend and didn't like it at all. The trigger was AWFUL. The iron sights are way too high over the bore. Ergos were OK overall. Ballistics are a better in the Tavor because of the longer barrel.

SBR AR is $200 stamp plus whatever your build costs ($500-infinity). Tavor is around $1600-$1800.

All that considered, I would not buy a Tavor in place of an SBR AR.

I know you've made up your mind about the AUG, but i cant see the Tavor being any better. Watched the video and IMHO the Aug is easier to disassemble, barrel is much easier to remove, it's not any less ambi than the Tavor, and the caliber conversion is hardly clunky on the AUG considering its only 3 parts and can be switched in about 2 minutes.

Having no real need for ambidextrous features, or plans for caliber changes, I preferred the Tavor's weight distribution over that of the Aug. It just handled better for me. I wanted to like the Aug, and I do think it's a pretty impressive rifle, but the Tavor felt more natural.

please elaborate.

in the course of my tavor cleanings, it seemed fairly clear how to go R -> L bolt configuration.

also, this guy swaps R -> L in under 5 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CyxeYn-1Sw

here he swaps everything R -> L, including bolt and charging system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0rgEXlTO-Q

IWI will no longer just charge your CC for $110 and send you a new LH bolt with a barrel wrench.

They now insist that you send the gun to them for "fitting" of the bolt.

So while they will now actually install the bolt and ship it back to you for the same $110, which is a deal, it still costs you the additional cost to ship a $1900 rifle to them insured.

Cole from IWI told me that they made this change in policy because they were concerned that end users would install a new bolt without checking the headspace.

So if you buy a RH Tavor, you must send it back if you want to CONVERT it to a LH gun. Once the second bolt is installed, they can be switched back and forth since both bolts are now properly fitted.

Its about a 45 minute operation the first time you do it and takes about 10 minutes the second time. Be careful not to bend the aluminum charging rod.

If you are a long time AR shooter who instinctively assumes a "nose on the charging handle" position you can not shoot a Tavor unless you have it converted properly.

If you look on the very popular Military Arms Chanel on Youtube, he switches over and assumes a head erect position when shooting lefty.

Don

Last edited:
Having no real need for ambidextrous features, or plans for caliber changes, I preferred the Tavor's weight distribution over that of the Aug. It just handled better for me. I wanted to like the Aug, and I do think it's a pretty impressive rifle, but the Tavor felt more natural.

Its a great rifle. It just needs to be sold properly. If you are LH, get a left handed rifle. if you are RH, get a RH rifle.

If you are one of those hispeedlodragSWATCQB-eieio kinds of guys who switches sides on the fly depending on what side of the door you are stacked up on, then this is NOT the rifle for you.

Oh, one other thing. If you are LH and want anything other than a Black 16" gun, then you need to get a RH gun and convert it. IWI-US only makes the LH gun in Black with a 16" barrel.

Last edited:
I followed the same thinking, and just sold my Tavor as I continue to wait on the tax stamp.

Mike

Thank goodness you did! Shot it and smiled over the weekend.

Best way to own it, have a friend own it!

sevaza3u.jpg

Thank goodness you did! Shot it and smiled over the weekend.

Best way to own it, have a friend own it!

sevaza3u.jpg

As Ive said before, its an excellent rifle. I ended up not using it as much as my AR and didnt want the money tied up in a safe queen as I am eventually SBRing one of my lowers anyway. Id consider the tavor before a SCAR, ACR etc any day.

Mike

After talking with the shop, there are 16" tavor and 9mm conversion in stock at multiple distributors.... I am not leaning heavily in that direction. Handled a few DD SBR AR's and I'm not sure the ergo's work for me in the length I want.

If is was a sure thing the Tavor would come in .300blk I think that would seal the deal

It's a sure thing the Tavor will come in 300 blk. If not from IWI, then from the aftermarket.

It's stupid easy since it's only a barrel change and the tavor barrel can be switched in about 3 minutes.

After talking with the shop, there are 16" tavor and 9mm conversion in stock at multiple distributors.... I am not leaning heavily in that direction. Handled a few DD SBR AR's and I'm not sure the ergo's work for me in the length I want.

If is was a sure thing the Tavor would come in .300blk I think that would seal the deal

300 is optimized for an SBR. Id prefer 556 in a 16" barrel.

Mike

Heavily considered SBR, and I still might end up doing one. BUT for now the Tavor has won my $$$$. I'm usually not one for tactical type firearms, but I really like the design and concept.

Now, what the heck an I going to part with to pay for this thing!

And now I need a .mil grade optic to complement the setup

Heavily considered SBR, and I still might end up doing one. BUT for now the Tavor has won my $$$$. I'm usually not one for tactical type firearms, but I really like the design and concept.

Now, what the heck an I going to part with to pay for this thing!

And now I need a .mil grade optic to complement the setup

I've been using mine for 3-gun events. The ability to eat any magazine and ammo is amazing.

I've been using mine for 3-gun events. The ability to eat any magazine and ammo is amazing.

I actually think I'm going to part with my DPMS 3G1 and Leupold VXR 1.5 fire dot to help pay for it.

I had the intent of trying 3 gun, but shooting uspsa pistol matches is involved and expensive enough! The Tavor should be fun for the occasional action rifle match

BTW, the Timney trigger pack is lovely. Transforms the only gripe I had w/ the rifle.

The built-in iron sights (w/ night sight insert up front) work great before you buy a super-duper dot or optic. I was running a rifle-steel tree in several heats against other shooters w/ EoTechs and doing just fine. I ended up putting an Aimpoint PRO on for now, debating that nice looking 1-6x24 vortex razor hd-II or trijicon mcog.

I got a friend in the Army who's in love with the tavor. He also hates the M1919 though so take the words of a heretic with a grain of salt.

BTW, the Timney trigger pack is lovely. Transforms the only gripe I had w/ the rifle.

The built-in iron sights (w/ night sight insert up front) work great before you buy a super-duper dot or optic. I was running a rifle-steel tree in several heats against other shooters w/ EoTechs and doing just fine. I ended up putting an Aimpoint PRO on for now, debating that nice looking 1-6x24 vortex razor hd-II or trijicon mcog.

Was the Pro mount high enough on the Tavor?

Don

Was the Pro mount high enough on the Tavor?

Don

High enough for my cheek weld. If you are huge you may need a 5-10mm riser.

DRB: I tested them both on my Tavor. Tried an Eotech first, model 2-2 I think with 5.56 BDC + 3x magnifier. The 3x was clear, looked "ok" but the circle + dot on the screen looked all "dot-matrixy" to me when projected. I tried different brightness levels but wasn't happy w/ how much coverage it took up in the viewport. I opted for an Aimpoint pro for 50-100yd point and shoot, and it's identical to the RS rail + aimpoint pro I have on my milled arsenal AK.

I'm saving my loot for a vortex razor II 1-6x24, seems to be the hot setup without spending MCOG money.

High enough for my cheek weld. If you are huge you may need a 5-10mm riser.

DRB: I tested them both on my Tavor. Tried an Eotech first, model 2-2 I think with 5.56 BDC + 3x magnifier. The 3x was clear, looked "ok" but the circle + dot on the screen looked all "dot-matrixy" to me when projected. I tried different brightness levels but wasn't happy w/ how much coverage it took up in the viewport. I opted for an Aimpoint pro for 50-100yd point and shoot, and it's identical to the RS rail + aimpoint pro I have on my milled arsenal AK.

I'm saving my loot for a vortex razor II 1-6x24, seems to be the hot setup without spending MCOG money.

How about without the magnifier? I already have a leupold VXR mod 1.5-4 with the firedot, but I'm not interested in magnification for the tavor

How about without the magnifier? I already have a leupold VXR mod 1.5-4 with the firedot, but I'm not interested in magnification for the tavor

Me personally, I liked the Aimpoint PRO more than the Eotech combo (red dot + 3x magnifier). When up close, i find the single razor sharp dot easier to place on items than a projected circle with dot in the center on the eotech. When you adjust brighness on the EO up and down I could visibly see "film grain" style projection on the screen which I didn't care for. The viewing square seems larger than the eye relief of the Aimpoint, but I still prefer the pro, especially for a one stop shop clamp-on optic at 1/4 the price. Good enough until I upgrade for big bucks to 1-6x.

Artifact brought up a good point, if you have access to one of the IDF Tavors, give that a look. I tried it and didn't care for it at all. The amber dot was hard to view with indoor lighting, and it got completely washed out (e.g. gone, invisible, no sight showing at all) when transitioning from dark to light areas. I forget who but some aftermarket company makes a little cover to clip on top that helps prevent that.

Back
Top Bottom