• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SBR OR TAVOR?

The group buy thread for NFA trusts had me thinking about a ultra compact rifle again.... Weighing in all the costs a SBR will require about $2000, with the Tavor being very similar in msrp.

The Tavor is already as short as most SBR without the wait or tax stamp, but the AR is a known platform with cheaper conversion ( caliber ) options.

For those of you with experience or opinions, which would you opt for?

I have a tavor and love it. Small and accurate and once youre used to the trigger its a fine rifle. On the other hand sbr's are a blast to shoot and definately still effective even with the velocity drop off. Both are awesome but tavor has less hassle and keeps better ballistics for the same size rifle in the end. A few friends have submitted sbr paperwork and said it wasnt all that bad of a process now its just a waiting game. I'd love an sbr ak.

I've never owned a Tavor, but own an AUG, and im still waiting for a Tax Stamp. I'd say go Tavor, no 6-8 month wait and still just as short as an SBR with rifle length ballistics and accuracy.

Tavor I love mine. you get the accuracy and ballistic advantage with the 16" barrel verse the sbr. you can get a tavor for $1700. the tavor trigger is not as bad as people make it out to be just a bunch of whiny pussies who want competition triggers on a battle riffle. its heavy but its a extremely clean sharp trigger pull. one of the re set springs in the trigger group can be removed to bring it down a bit but its there for a reason so it wont get clogged up with dirt. I have had zero issues with the gun. it is extremely ergonomic more then an ar, I can reload mags much faster and stay on target with the tavor.

just for reference the tavor is the same overall length as a 10" sbr with the stock fully collapsed in the shortest position.

I added a vertical grip to the front and it feels soo much better, havent taken it to the range yet like this but it feels better, I prefer forgrips over wrapping my hand around the end of the barrel on guns.

and be prepared to have everyone stop and ask you about it. [laugh]

Ill let you try it out if you want.

i can't speak against an SBR but i can speak in favor of the tavor since i own one.

the tavor is straight up awesome. versatile, easy to shoot, very easy to clean. it would be an excellent semi-auto .223 option for a female or smaller shooter since it's easier to hold a tavor (more like "cradling" than holding an AR). i find the magazine system to be flat-out unbeatable. even the 18" barrel option is still very short overall length so i would consider both models unless you really want the 16". the option to convert to 9mm is also quite nice....i don't intend to do it but at least that option is there.

one thing about the tavor is that, being a bullpup, the shooter is really "experiencing" the firing mechanism. the tavor is the first bullpup i have owned so i wasn't quite aware of this until i shot it. with some rapid fire i have taken some deep breaths of nasty carbon-filled air. makes for a funny sounding cough and i look like a real newb hahah.

an SBR option seems nice too but having fired two of them (one was an AK, the other i do not recall), i am not impressed by the ballistics of the shorter barrel....especially with a .223. the only thing a .223 has going for it is velocity...chop the barrel and it seems then it has nothing going for it except muzzle blast and loudness.

since E = 1/2mv^2, that velocity part is pretty much all i care about.
just my 2c.

one thing about the tavor is that, being a bullpup, the shooter is really "experiencing" the firing mechanism. the tavor is the first bullpup i have owned so i wasn't quite aware of this until i shot it. with some rapid fire i have taken some deep breaths of nasty carbon-filled air. makes for a funny sounding cough and i look like a real newb hahah.

never ran into that issue personally, girlfriend never complained, I dont like shooting tula out of it, it smells like cat piss

I love my tavor. Shoots great. The trigger isn't bad but I have a timney on the way. If your anywhere near taunton you can try mine out before buying one.

500 rounds of (gasp) steel. and a couple hundred rounds of federal stuff. not a high count but after using it i dont see any problems with the rifles breaking down over time. seems like a quality rifle once you handle and shoot one. as stated before, the trigger is not as bad as people say. it is def. NOT an ar trigger but not as bad as people say. its a combat trigger its a trigger you CAN get used to.

I only have about 500 through mine but no problems so far. You can modify the stock trigger and remove a spring which lightens it. Military arms channel on YouTube goes over it. I tried it out and it helps

Tavor. It is as short or shorter than many sbr's. No tax stamp. I Have an MSAR AUG clone and bullpups rule. Easy to manouver and 16" barrel.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Does the Tavor use AR mags, or does it need it's own proprietary ones? Dammit, now I feel like I "need" one of these too, even though I really don't, thanks a lot guys![rolleyes]

You could always buy a Tavor, and SBR it.

one thing about the tavor is that, being a bullpup, the shooter is really "experiencing" the firing mechanism. the tavor is the first bullpup i have owned so i wasn't quite aware of this until i shot it. with some rapid fire i have taken some deep breaths of nasty carbon-filled air.

With the AUG , I only get a nasty backdraft when using a suppressor, otherwise no issue with gases from the ejection port. Next time I'm going to try disabling the gas system, run it like a bolt action.

Ok, how many rounds do you guys have through the Tavor? My biggest hang up is the "newness" factor. ( that and the $800 9mm conversion )

The IDF uses the damn rifle. How can one be worried about how it holds up over time? "Newness" isnt a factor w the tavor....its just new for us americans. The tavor has been through more longterm testing and rough handling than the vast majority of available rifles. I know people with thousands and thousands of rounds and no issues whatsoever, and whoever i know is irrelevant compared to the IDF.

If the IDF was willing to replace the ACE/galil rifles w the tavor, then that says something.

You could always buy a Tavor, and SBR it.

With the AUG , I only get a nasty backdraft when using a suppressor, otherwise no issue with gases from the ejection port. Next time I'm going to try disabling the gas system, run it like a bolt action.

Usually i notice it shooting indoors. Outside the smells in my face are not noticed.

with regards to ejection, mine ejects 5.56 and .223 quite differently. I prefer the 5.56 as it ejects at a 45deg angle so doesnt hit the people next to me or bounce back down my pants and singe my nuts off.

If I had to pick, an SBR. Great conversion capabilities, standardized upgrades, and parts abound. Make exactly what you want and get all that you want while waiting for the stamp. As for a Tavor, gritty trigger is my biggest failing to buy one. You can upgrade it, but then you break the $2k limit you are aiming for.

Some peopl seem to dislike the tavor trigger but i actually dig it.
if going out past 200 yards then id probly want a lighter pull but for a bullpup gun i am quite pleased w the stock tavor trigger. If i need a super crisp "accuracy" trigger i got better bolt guns for that job,

Option 3: AR pistol with wrist brace that functions nicely as a stock. No NFA, and you get a nice get-out-of-jail-free letter from ATF with the product.

Last edited:
The IDF uses the damn rifle. How can one be worried about how it holds up over time? "Newness" isnt a factor w the tavor....its just new for us americans. The tavor has been through more longterm testing and rough handling than the vast majority of available rifles. I know people with thousands and thousands of rounds and no issues whatsoever, and whoever i know is irrelevant compared to the IDF.

If the IDF was willing to replace the ACE/galil rifles w the tavor, then that says something.

The IDF does not use a commercial Tavor made in the US. While it "should" be a proven platform it isnt 100% the same thing

Back
Top Bottom