S.1401 Heads to Governor's Desk

Is it 10 calender days, 10 business days, or 10 legislature working days (about 3 years), that this has to be signed in?

10 Calender days = today
10 business days = Friday
10 leg. working days = beyond our lifetimes

Kind of why I was asking and I wasn't sure if GOAL was going to update the End of Session Wrap Up with new information or post it all on it's own.

Goal - you are terrific with keeping us updated and I appreciate all the hard work you put in to get the information out to us!!! Thanks!

oh good... i was afraid he ran out of pages of the Constitution to wipe his butt with and was now using bills that he has no intentions of acknowledging

I thought he was going to use them to park his Cadilac Deval on so the asphalt wouldn't scuff his tires.

I saw a car today with an old Deval Patrick bumper sticker and a new Barak O'Bama sticker on it... I didn't know whether to feel sorry for the simpleton or to perform the P.I.T. manuver.

I thought he was going to use them to park his Cadilac Deval on so the asphalt wouldn't scuff his tires.

I saw a car today with an old Deval Patrick bumper sticker and a new Barak O'Bama sticker on it... I didn't know whether to feel sorry for the simpleton or to perform the P.I.T. manuver.

hahah I said that the other day in my thread about new taxes up here.

Its only a matter of time before I put an guard on the front of the truck and go to town.

The bill has not yet been sent to the Governor. As I stated in our session wrap up, the House and Senate have to enact it first and that has not been done yet.
On August 1, GOAL reported that the enactment was routine and "should be wrapped up by next week." Does this delay indicate that this is being killed with deliberate neglect, or is something else going on here?

On August 1, GOAL reported that the enactment was routine and "should be wrapped up by next week." Does this delay indicate that this is being killed with deliberate neglect, or is something else going on here?

How can a bill that was overwhelmingly passed by both houses be killed through some sort of procedural measure. Doesn't seem to make sense.

As has been reported in this thread, the house and senate must enact this before it is sent to the Governor. I am hoping GOAL can tell us is this sort of delay in routine enactment is typical, or some sort of back door plan to kill this and save Deval the problem he will have if it hits his desk. Sign it, veto it, or let it become law without his signature - someone's interest group is going to be angered.

From http://www.mass.gov/legis/lawmkng.htm

Following enactment, the bill goes to the governor, who may sign the bill into law, allow it to become law without signing it (if the governor holds the bill for ten days without taking any action while the legislature is in session, it becomes law without his or her signature), veto it, or return it to the legislature with recommended changes. If the legislature has concluded its yearly session, and the governor does not sign the bill within ten days, it dies. This is referred to as a "pocket veto." This ten-day period includes Sundays and holidays, even if they fall on the tenth day, and it begins the day after the legislation is laid on the governor's desk.

If this is actually a pocket veto then I'd love to see our governor get a little bad press about his inaction. Perhaps we should point this out to Matt Carroll at the Globe, who gave gun owners a fair shake. I'd love to hear Devil try to explain his way out of this.

I'm willing to bet this was all part of a master plan.

Gun grabbing legislators can claim "I voted for the Katrina bill", knowing full well Deval would let it die and would never become law.

I'm willing to bet this was all part of a master plan.

Gun grabbing legislators can claim "I voted for the Katrina bill", knowing full well Deval would let it die and would never become law.

So we simply push for it to come to the table again. We have shown that we are able to garner support with letter writing and telephone campaigns. The fight is not over because someone chooses not to act on it, it just means we have to re-introduce and become more of a thorn.

wait... im confused here... (i know, nothing new - just to beat ya'll to it)

allow it to become law without signing it (if the governor holds the bill for ten days without taking any action while the legislature is in session, it becomes law without his or her signature

If he didn't sign it, didn't veto it and didn't send it back... then doesn't the above come true?

or did I miss a post somewhere that says differently?

wait... im confused here... (i know, nothing new - just to beat ya'll to it)

If he didn't sign it, didn't veto it and didn't send it back... then doesn't the above come true?

or did I miss a post somewhere that says differently?

You missed the part about the legislature being in session. The 10 day rule only applies if the legistraitors are in session, which they currently are not.

News...

Ok, I just talked to GOAL.

They said that the bill needs "final enactment" which is the step right before it goes to the governors desk. It has not arrived at his desk yet. "Pocket veto" can only occur in December, I think. Do not lose hope on this. In the mean time I am going to call Deval and respectfully ask him to sign the bill.

Ok, I just talked to GOAL.

They said that the bill needs "final enactment" which is the step right before it goes to the governors desk. It has not arrived at his desk yet. "Pocket veto" can only occur in December, I think. Do not lose hope on this. In the mean time I am going to call Deval and respectfully ask him to sign the bill.

+ 1 Keep flooding the governors office with calls.

Back
Top Bottom