S.1401 Heads to Governor's Desk

+ 1 Keep flooding the governors office with calls.

The governor's office has nothing to do with the bill right now. It is still in the legislature. It has to be enacted in both the house and the senate before it can be sent to the governor's desk. Also, the legislature IS STILL IN SESSION. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, dumb, or simply misinformed. FORMAL sessions have ended for this two year term. We are in INFORMAL sessions only. What this means is that normal business can still occur but the objections of any ONE member of either the house or senate can prevent something from being taken up. In this case, should one dem object to enacting the bill it wouldn't make it to the governor's desk and for all intents and purposes be considered dead. I'm sorry if this has been explained before but it seems like some people on this thread are confused as to what the "status" of this bill really is.

The thing about our system is that almost no one knows how it actually works and where stuff is. This means that things can be defeated easily while other things can be snuck in without anyone noticing. From my "vantage point" I can tell you exactly where things in the legislature are. Please feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns. I dont feel like saying anything else in a public forum.

URGENT UPDATE: S.1401 “An Act Prohibiting The Confiscation Of Lawfully Owned...

Several questions have come up with respect to where we are with this bill as it has not made its way to the Governor’s desk. Calling the Governor's Office at this point is moot.

While the House and Senate have both passed the bill, the bill has not been put to parchment and “enacted”. Once it’s enacted it goes to the Governor. Normally…this is an easy smooth process. However, this is mASSsachusetts, right?

The problem is that the wording of the bill is being screamed about by – your local licensing authorities! Yes, the Police Departments that are sworn to protect and serve YOU. The very people YOUR tax dollars go to pay their salaries. They are complaining that the bill makes them “felons” should they choose to ignore the law and proceed to unlawfully disarm law-abiding citizens during a declared state of emergency. This would, poor babies, make it impossible for the departments to re-hire those violators!

If you’re as concerned about this behavior and the stalling of this bill by your licensing authorities, you’d better get on the phone with your Reps and Senator and make your voice heard. This bill is a good bill. It protects us from those who are supposed to be protecting us and the very fact that they are balking should make every one of us very, very nervous.

The Police Departments in this State need to get sent a very, very clear message. They work for US, not the other way around.

Let’s make some noise by getting those phones ringing again.

I just made phone calls to Senator Timilty's Office and Rep. Elizabeth Poirier's Office.

Their aids have taken clear, concise messages from me and I've left my mobile phone number with them to return my call.

It's time for the People to take control of their Government.

"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson

"As revolutionary instruments (when nothing but revolution will cure the evils of the State) are necessary and indispensable, and the right to use them is inalienable by the people." --Thomas Jefferson

Noontime Update

A Senator just called me back and was fully aware of the road block to the bill...and we're 100% correct in that it is the Massachusetts Chiefs Of Police causing the issue.

The Senator is on the road right now, but will be returning to the State House to handle this issue and get the bill enacted. I should be hearing back from them in next couple of days and will report back to you as soon as I hear something.

A Senator just called me back and was fully aware of the road block to the bill...and we're 100% correct in that it is the Massachusetts Chiefs Of Police causing the issue.

This is probably because the bill contains a meaningful penalty for intentional violation on the part of individual police officers.

He is a douche.

I can only conclude by this action that he does intend to keep the option open of robbing my house and stealing my firearms in the event of an emergency.

Several questions have come up with respect to where we are with this bill as it has not made its way to the Governor’s desk. Calling the Governor's Office at this point is moot.

The problem is that the wording of the bill is being screamed about by – your local licensing authorities! Yes, the Police Departments that are sworn to protect and serve YOU. The very people YOUR tax dollars go to pay their salaries. They are complaining that the bill makes them “felons” should they choose to ignore the law and proceed to unlawfully disarm law-abiding citizens during a declared state of emergency. This would, poor babies, make it impossible for the departments to re-hire those violators!

If you’re as concerned about this behavior and the stalling of this bill by your licensing authorities, you’d better get on the phone with your Reps and Senator and make your voice heard. This bill is a good bill. It protects us from those who are supposed to be protecting us and the very fact that they are balking should make every one of us very, very nervous.

The Police Departments in this State need to get sent a very, very clear message. They work for US, not the other way around.

Let’s make some noise by getting those phones ringing again.

This is probably because the bill contains a meaningful penalty for intentional violation on the part of individual police officers.

Why, I'm surprised there isn't an exemption in there for police. There is for pretty much every other law.

So, if we cal our representatives, what exactly do we say?

Gee they have no problem sending someone to jail for carrying an uncased long gun to their car parked in front of their house . . . somehow they have a problem if there is a penalty for illegally stealing other people's property? [rolleyes] I don't understand! [wink]

AN ACT prohibiting the confiscation of lawfully owned firearms during a state of emergency
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Chapter 140 of the Massachusetts General Laws shall be amended by adding the following section;

Section 129E. Prohibiting the confiscation of lawfully owned firearms.

No law enforcement officer, person acting as a law enforcement officer, or other public official shall confiscate or attempt to confiscate any lawfully carried or lawfully owned firearm, rifle or shotgun in this state during a declared state of emergency.

Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be subject to a civil fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 for each firearm, rifle or shotgun confiscated or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than ten years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years

It's just disgusting that we have to enact into law any law that includes the words: "Prohibiting The Confiscation Of Lawfully Owned Firearms". [angry]

Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be subject to a civil fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 for each firearm, rifle or shotgun confiscated or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than ten years or by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than two and one-half years

If ignorance of the law is no excuse, why would they have a problem with it?

It's Dead guys [angry]

I hope you MA residents raise hell with your local reps, this is complete and utter bullshit.

Why hasn't GOAL had something to say here about how this went down, and what votes or procedures were used to kill it?

Rob,

GOAL doesn't have the obligation to run to NES to post information as soon as something happens. It just happened and I know Jim is in the process of writing something up to let us know. I was going to keep my lips shut until Night Owl posted about it.

Since Deval didn't sign it, it went to a special session and apparently it only takes one vote of no from the house and senate to be killed, which it was. I am sure Jim will elaborate in the near future.

You Mass residents need to let people know what utter bullshit this is.

We send letters (some of us anyway). We are so outvoted by libs here that we pretty much have no voice whatsoever. I continue my letter sending even knowing it's an exercise in futility.

I don't need a Katrina law to KNOW that I'm NOT handing over my guns (if I owned guns, which of course i don't. They are bad and scary.)

My goal is to be NH bound within 5 years or less.

More appropriately, that should be reserved for the legislators that worked to kill this bill.

Don't forget to "DONATE" to MCOPA when they come looking for money! They are the ones who put the heat to the legislators to kill it . . . they don't like any penalties for those who violate citizens rights under "color of law".

My goal is to be NH bound within 5 years or less.

+1. I'll be turning 60 in a few days, and my 60th birthday gift to myself is to contact a realtor and have him/her look the house over and give me a punch list of things to do so I can get top dollar in about 2 years. At the same time, I'll be contacting a realtor in NH to start looking at properties.

I feel younger already.[grin]

Last edited:
The happiest day of my life was in Aug 07 when I officially declared NH residency
then in second place 9/07 when I married my lovely wife
then third place 4/08 sold my condo in MA and never looked back

Back
Top Bottom