Rockport: EMT - Rocket Launcher - Drugs

Dude, haven't you ever been to Battleship Cove in Fall River? I'm with Gonzo, I wanted that baby at MY house!

My ex-father-in-law has an office on board the U.S.S. Massachusetts. He had a lot to do with getting those vessels into shape for the whole "museum" thing they've got going on there.[wink]

Not that anyone really cares...ROFL ;-)

My ex-father-in-law has an office on board the U.S.S. Massachusetts. He had a lot to do with getting those vessels into shape for the whole "museum" thing they've got going on there.[wink]

I do! Your ex-FIL then is responsibl for some of the best memories from my childhood.

From the definition of "infernal machine", it sounds like it could be a legit charge.

How so?

For the purposes of this section, the term “infernal machine” shall mean any device for endangering life or doing unusual damage to property, or both, by fire or explosion, whether or not contrived to ignite or explode automatically.

An empty launcher tube neither explodes nor causes fire. If he had rockets then maybe, but there's no report saying that was the case.

Doesn't matter if the items are legal or not, they aren't legal for him to possess since his LTC was suspended
Bringing up several issues.

From what I can tell the worst of the PSH items are legal without any goverment approval. The tube is just a tube -- I didn't see any rockets. I don't think the tear gas launcher is prohibited, either.

After the LTC is revoked, he can't have the handguns.

If he also had an FID, wouldn't he be allowed to keep the ammo until actually convicted?

A vindictive DA can get charges against almost anyone. If one only has an LTC, ieverything goes. If one has an FID, wouldn't long guns and ammo be okay, until charges are dismissed?

Of course and extra FID costs money every 6 years. Is it too high an "insurance policy"?

with the exception of the drugs, that doesn't look any worse than what i have in my own closet.....

and i must say, i would LOVE to have an M79 (40mm), or even something similar in 37mm. Need one? hell no. But i'm also pretty sure I didnt need the SxS 12ga i just bought either.

A battleship?
I've been to Battleship Cove, and I got a chance to board the Missouri during Fleet Week many years back. Damn right I want a battleship. That way when I pull into the outer harbor I can tell that punk Larry Ellison to weigh anchor and move that POS boat he calls "Rising Sun" before I change its name to "Sinking Sun."

Oh, I really do care. There are some things that are God's work, and what your FIL did was God's work. And cool. Really, really cool.

Are you serious? I've wanted anti-tank weaponry since I found out it existed, when I was about four years old.

Me too. Since I can't get the real thing, I've spent a lot of time trying to turn my S&W .500 into one. I'm almost there.

Me too. Since I can't get the real thing, I've spent a lot of time trying to turn my S&W .500 into one. I'm almost there.

That round of yours I fired at the Athol car shoot was pretty close. Probably stop at least one of those old german Panzer tanks. [laugh]

-Mike

It wasn't all that long ago that you could actually get the practice rounds for the M72 (and I am NOT referring to the sub caliber insert). It was designed to be installed, the launcher collapsed and then operated as 'normal'. Have not seen them in many years and the last ones I saw were $250 a pop.

Other than that, the tubes are just that. In fact, finding one with all the pieces intact is fairly difficult. Generally the sights are damaged or the seals are destroyed.

I'll be sure to thank him for you as well.[wink]
I'll probably go visit them over Christmas.

Please do. Preserving that history is important. Future generations need to understand that freedom isn't free, and seeing the damage to the battleship at battleship cove might help them understand that people have died (and will die) to protect us.

Alleged rocket man launches defense fund

By Jonathan L'Ecuyer
Staff Writer
http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_082224044.html

ROCKPORT — The former Rockport emergency medical technician facing an assortment of larceny and weapons-related charges, is pleading for the public to help cover the costs of his mounting legal expenses.

James M. Atkinson, who claims working ties to federal agencies and an extensive background in electrical engineering specializing in intelligence, sent a message from his personal e-mail address to the "technical surveillance counter measure (TSCM) community" that he had hired a Boston law firm and that its services come at a premium.

"I've had to hire a powerful Boston law firm — imagine them as 50 Ninjas armed with chain saws — to represent me so I don't get railroaded into jail for the rest of my life, but all of this cost money," Atkinson wrote in the March 12 message, which was posted to the 47-year-old's TSCM blog on a Google groups Web page. He is facing a bevy of weapons charges, including possession of a tear-gas launcher and M190 rocket launcher.

"Any assistance that you can provide that will help me get through this situation will be greatly appreciated," he said in the message. "I promise that 100 percent of all funds will be provided to the law firm that is representing me.

"I need to raise funds and I need to raise it fast, so please help if you can," he concluded.

In exchange for donations to the "James M. Atkinson Legal Defense Fund," Atkinson vowed to provide donors with telephone or e-mail consulting services commensurate with their pledge amounts at a rate of eight hours for a $5,000 donation.

Atkinson urges would-be financial supporters to consider their donations "an investment securing this out of control democracy, and of helping an innocent man find justice."

He offered several ways for people to donate, including mailing a check, cash or money order to his address; wiring the money directly into his bank account or to his Web-based PayPal account; or to give the money directly to the law firm, Denner Pellegrino, LLP.

Court records, meanwhile, show that a probable cause hearing scheduled for March 19 in Gloucester District Court was continued until April 23.

Atkinson pleaded not guilty to 16 weapons charges — 13 misdemeanors and three felonies — in January. The charges were spawned initially by his alleged bilking of an overseas company that sought to buy surveillance equipment from Granite Island Group, an Internet-based counter surveillance and technical security firm Atkinson heads.

In the same message seeking donations, Atkinson said the local police arrested him on "false charges" and that local media reports have been unfair.

"The charges being brought against me are so totally ridiculous that they charged me with not having stomach acid reducer medication in its proper container," he said. "As many of you have read, they stopped at nothing to destroy me in my community and they have worked diligently to ruin the reputations and goodwill I've earned over the years."

When contacted by the Times in the past, Atkinson has declined comment and advised the paper to speak with his lawyers.

He again declined to return phone messages or e-mails left yesterday, and a call to attorney Paul Andrews at Denner Pellegrino, LLP was also not returned.

Atkinson also took the opportunity in the message to rail against unnamed federal agencies who he claims want to silence him.

"Friend or foe, all of you who are reading this know me well and that my actions and intentions have always been honest, honorable and good," he wrote, "and I have made the government accountable for its actions, helped to keep our authorities in check and by doing so, we can assure a true democracy.

"But our government will tolerate only a certain amount of embarrassing close scrutiny especially when our true national security is at risk, huge defense contracts are involved, or politics come into play."

Various documentation indicates many of Atkinson's statements about his background and qualifications — as expressed on the Granite Island Group's Web site (www.tscm.com) — are valid. Atkinson claims to have been trained by the U.S. government in intelligence, covert operations, technical surveillance and cryptanalysis.

Police said some of Atkinson's claims have been verified by federal agencies, but they have not elaborated on which specific claims.

In 2007, Atkinson testified before a U.S. House committee for an investigation into the U.S. Coast Guard's Deepwater program to replace or upgrade virtually all of its ships, planes and helicopters.

More recently, Atkinson said, "I savaged the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) for lying about the H1N1 last year, and embarrassed them so badly that they had to keep modifying how they were reporting statistics.

"Considering my background, meeting and advising multiple sitting U.S. presidents, numerous foreign dignitaries, the Vatican, CIA directors, and countless three-letter agencies located around (Washington) D.C., it was only a matter of time that I would become expendable," Atkinson said. "Yes, much of what I have found over the past few decades was very embarrassing to the government, but rather than fix the problems they are attempting to destroy the messenger."

Atkinson was first arrested Dec. 1 on charges of larceny over $250 and obstruction of justice after he promised to deliver over $32,000 in surveillance equipment to a Switzerland-based turbine business but never delivered the goods after the money was deposited into his account.

According to a written affidavit from Atkinson filed on Jan. 4, an end-user certificate provided by Gaz Turbine Services for the equipment failed to meet exportation requirements, preventing him from shipping the equipment.

As a result of the original charges, Atkinson's license to carry firearms was suspended and he was required to turn over his guns. Police said he turned in three guns — two of them unregistered — along with over 2,000 rounds of more than 16 types of ammunition.

But police noticed he handed in ammunition for guns he hadn't turned over, and obtained a "no-knock" search warrant for his apartment where, after kicking down his door, officers discovered several firearms; Mace; yellow smoke bombs; more than 1,000 pills without corresponding prescriptions; a tear gas launcher; a "U.S. Army" M190 rocket launcher; and "millions of dollars" worth of surveillance equipment.

It appears he was deemed unsuitable and had his LTC revoked over a report of an alledged CIVIL matter.
An overseas Co. claimed he had'nt delivered a business obligation so police went to seize his firearms?

Last edited:
BTW....side note....why should a charge of fraud (which is pretty much civil) result in the loss of his Constitutional rights? He was charged, not convicted, and the charges were not of any violent nature.
Welcome to the land of suitability and the LTC...

BTW - after convicted of the fraud, I bet if you rephrased it a bit, you'd get support for that policy even here on NES:

"Should a convicted felon be permitted to own firearms?"

[wink]

Considering what police and media did to that guy in Manchester by the sea ("silencers" were flash suppressors, "grenades" were not grenades, a "cache" of "weapons" was less than what many people on this forum own, and a "firing range" in his own home turned out to be him shooting in the attic of his own home (which may be completely legal), and it just so happens that his wife called him while filing for a divorce and restraining order...I have my doubts that this guy is actually a hazard to the community.

I'd consider helping him. He could be any one of us.

Remember the Stram case in Camrbidge where a "rocket launcher" was confiscated? If the Globe had done a bit of investigative journalism, they could have rotated the photo they printed 180 degrees and read the 3" high lettering "INERT" printed on the dummy device.

BTW....side note....why should a charge of fraud (which is pretty much civil) result in the loss of his Constitutional rights? He was charged, not convicted, and the charges were not of any violent nature.

Breech of contract is civil. Fraud is criminal, and almost certainly a felony at that $$ level.

this guy's a fruit loop
I agree. If he had to surrender his LTC, he should have moved all of his firearms, ammunition and accessories over the border into NH immediately. All of the other stuff should have been cached underground. If he had done this, the cops would have left empty-handed after serving their "no-knock" warrant. This fool got what he deserved.

I suspect that his legal woes are the work of spies that he had previously exposed or thwarted in some way. That's the only rational explanation.

Does anyone with more legal background than I have, care to explain how a Judge would issue a no-knock warrant in this case?

The guy was co-operating (he turned over stuff when asked), and there was no violence involved in the alleged theft/fraud. You can't flush guns down the toilet, so there was no chance of destroying evidence. Do judges issue "no-knocks" at the whim of the requester?

I can't even see a warrant issued based on mis-matched ammunition calibers. This is not evidence of a crime.

Aside, Massachusetts law prohibits the transfer of ammuntion without an ammunition sellers licence (really!). If you sell your last gun of a particular caliber before you use up all the ammuntion for it, you cannot sell the ammunition with the gun. You can discard it, or keep it. Now we know that keeping it could be part of a situation that would end up with a no-knock search warrant.

We haven't seen the affadavit, so perhaps it didn't mention the ammunition (and the newspaper was wrong), and the search was persuant to the theft/fraud. If that was so, the no-knock doesn't seems dumber.

...Massachusetts law prohibits the transfer of ammuntion without an ammunition sellers licence (really!)...

It doesn't prohibit the "transfer" of ammunition, it prohibits the "sale" of ammunition.

M.G.L. c.140 s.122B

No person shall sell ammunition in the Commonwealth unless duly licensed...

You could legally give it away to a properly licensed or otherwise exempt individual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom