• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ring height

Getting a scope as low as possible is outdated thinking. Spot on with natural eye alignment. I run highs, makes a big difference.

Fit the gun to the shooter first, scope second.
Depends on your cheek weld/comb to eye ball distance. Most scoped rifles even low rings are still to high for me. So I need adjustable combs or some sort of comb riser.

Came across a great idea for setting height. Stack pennies where the mounts go. Place your scope on them. Keep stacking until you have enough clearance and it lines up with your eyes. Obviously, get a second set of hands to hold the scope in place.
Clay works well also

11 in-lbs on a lubricated #6 bolt produces almost 500 lbs of clamping force

18 in-lbs dry is about 640 but that assumes steel on steel and would have more stretch to resist the recoil impulse loosening the bolt.

In other words - screws don't need to be twisted like a gorilla to work properly, especially with thread locker resisting loosening forces.
My dad used to try and explain this to people using pliers on thumb screws.
My dad also taught me clean and dry and before torque wrenches pinching the allen wrench at the 90’ bend was plenty good enough to tighten rings.
If your worried about rust. My dad dripped bees wax on the screw heads and any exposed ends and wiped off excess.

Back
Top Bottom