Chilling Ring camera video shows man shoot and kill his daughter's ex-boyfriend, 22, after he tried to break into their home through the front door

Oh, so you mean there was still a barrier between them? Maybe the guy should have shot him when he was first walking up the driveway, huh?

It's interesting that the article itself makes the case that the title of the article was a journalistic sh*t move, but anyway, the soon-to-be-dead guy had breached the door, having broken the door jamb, but the door had not swung clear. The shots were fired through lites in the broken door, as I understand it, hence there was some visibility but probably limited. The last shot would not be lawful if taken deliberately with full knowledge of that the guy was fleeing at that time, but as has been previously pointed out for more than one reason, there is reasonable doubt that the shot was taken with the requisite knowledge to make it unlawful.

Oh, so you mean there was still a barrier between them? Maybe the guy should have shot him when he was first walking up the driveway, huh?
Would you convict the father? The next day he could come home to find her raped and dead. Good riddance. Raise your boys right so I won't have to shoot them.

Video doesn't tell the whole story.
I read that the door frame was splintering or had failed so the guy was gaining or had gained access. If that was true then the door was no longer a barrier and the home owner had ZERO requirement to wait until harm had occurred to protect the occupants from a threat of death/serious bodily injury.
Anyone disputing this should get Andrew Branca's book and listen to some of his podcasts.

Given the split times the guy likely made the determination to fire half a second before the shot broke so the perp was still bladed towards the door making him a danger.

The third shot is going to look suspicious to non-shooters but if I were on the jury I would find a reasonable person acting prudently in the same situation would very likely fired the third shot due to fear biasing the analysis of the instantaneous danger presented when the decision to fire was made.

Wisdom from Clint Smith:
”why did you shoot the intruder in the back?”
”I shot him into what was available to me at that time”.

It never would have made it to a GJ down here.

SECTION 16-11-440. Presumption of reasonable fear of imminent peril when using deadly force against another unlawfully entering residence, occupied vehicle or place of business.

(A) A person is presumed to have a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to himself or another person when using deadly force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury to another person if the person:

(1) against whom the deadly force is used is in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or has unlawfully and forcibly entered a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if he removes or is attempting to remove another person against his will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(2) who uses deadly force knows or has reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act is occurring or has occurred....

Jiggle my doorknob or touch my car door during some road rage or carjacking scenario and it is lights out. No questions asked.

Back
Top Bottom