"red dot" sight differences?

I am looking into getting a red dot sight to use on a Ruger MKiii and a Smith and Wesson 15-22 that I plan on acquiring in May. Once I get into larger caliber guns I'll most likely use it on them as well. My question is what qualities should I be looking for in a red dot style scope? I see them ranging in price from $29 to over $700; what justifies such a difference?

Clearly the $29 ones are plastic and the $700 are metal, and I'm sure the more expensive ones have better quality lenses and most likely longer battery life as well. But what key characteristics should I be looking for in a red dot sight? Why are some open on top (http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-electro-sight-red-dot-sight-ac10632.html) and others are closed (http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-2x30-red-dot-scope-ac11090.html)?

I don't want to spend more than $120 and I want a 2x red dot sight.

Thanks

If you want a good magnified 2x red dot, the cheapest you should consider is a low-end Aimpoint. $120 will get you a steaming pile of carp.

My SIG556 came with a "free" reticle (valued at about $125 I believe). COMPLETE piece of crap! Just handling the weapon caused it to stray, nevermind firing it. If you're going to the $700 price range, you might want to consider the Trijicon ACOG 1.5x. It provides magnification and very low light visibility for a little more than the Eotech. I saw some recently on eBay for $500 - $600 in great shape.

The added cost gets you a brighter crisper dot with electronics that can handle recoil better, you also get glass lenses instead of plastic. plus the bodies will be made out of metal instead of plastic, so it will hold zero better. For a rugged red dot sight that is very bright and has multiple size dot, I would look at a C-more

I don't believe any of the ACOG allows you to dial up the magnification. Do you mean the Elcan that was posted. Its $1700 with hash marks out to 1000m. not exactly useful on a .22,

A good 1-4x would be a Millet DMS, the are inexpensive and will hold zero, but they are not put together very well

While an awesome red dot, it's entirely inappropriate for this use. But it looks great on my AR:

IMG_2966.jpg

I don't believe any of the ACOG allows you to dial up the magnification. Do you mean the Elcan that was posted. Its $1700 with hash marks out to 1000m. not exactly useful on a .22,

A good 1-4x would be a Millet DMS, the are inexpensive and will hold zero, but they are not put together very well

I was not aware of that Moto. Thought the 1.5x16 meant up to 16 magnification? Now I'll admit, I don't know too much about optics, but I tried the ACOG (didn't check if I could increase magnification because it was close range) and loved it over my reticle and Nikon Monarch scope.

I think the 2X is sorta unnecessary but the Aimpoint 9000L should be a good choice if you really must have it. Otherwise go with an Aimpoint CompC.

First there is no reason to have a 2x or any magnified red dot on a 22 pistil IMO. When using a red dot in competition you want fast target recognition and a 2X or up will make this difficult at the range you will mostly use a handgun at. I use C-more red dots on my .45's and my Smith .22 model 41, they offer changeable dot size and adjustable brightness ( something you would find quite important when shooting in bright sun light). They hold up well under harsh recoil. Cost around 200 dollars. The doctor, Burris, ultra dots are great also but you want adjustable brightness. Most of these if not all have a life time warranty but they all are 200 and less.

Check out Vortex StrikeFire. I have on on my SR-22and it is pretty good. Has received good reviews on AR15 and other sites.

I threw one of TRU-GLO's Cheapys on my MP15-22 and have found it more than suitable for plinking inside 100yards. The dot is 5MOA, a bit big for my liking when shooting at distance, but great inside 60 yards. I have the 40mm, 1x model. Nice and easy to shoot with both eyes open, bright adjustable dot and a relatively sturdy housing given the low price. I picked mine up on sale for $54 bucks, I think they are normally around $75. Link below:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=385470

Looks like the 30mm version is only $50 bucks.

Like you said red dot sights have a great range in price and inturn, quality. IMO buy only what you need for your application. You may never realize the benefits of $700+ sight on your .22

Let us know what you end up with

priamaryarms.com. hes got the best low end optics made. I have the M4 rep and have beat the hell out of it. It still works and holds zero.

+1 here. I have one from Primary on a 12ga and have beat the hell out of it. Even had it out in the rain and it still works great.

I just put a Burris Fastfire II on my Ruger Single-Six Hunter.
It is very small and not too expensive.
I cut my best groups in half with this thing.
I'm seriously considering buying a couple more.

fastfire2-vi.jpg

Jack

I just put a Burris Fastfire II on my Ruger Single-Six Hunter.
It is very small and not too expensive.
I cut my best groups in half with this thing.
I'm seriously considering buying a couple more.

Jack

They do make shooting easier, I run the JPoint version on my modified gun.

I threw one of TRU-GLO's Cheapys on my MP15-22 and have found it more than suitable for plinking inside 100yards. The dot is 5MOA, a bit big for my liking when shooting at distance, but great inside 60 yards. I have the 40mm, 1x model. Nice and easy to shoot with both eyes open, bright adjustable dot and a relatively sturdy housing given the low price. I picked mine up on sale for $54 bucks, I think they are normally around $75. Link below:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=385470

Looks like the 30mm version is only $50 bucks.

Like you said red dot sights have a great range in price and inturn, quality. IMO buy only what you need for your application. You may never realize the benefits of $700+ sight on your .22

Let us know what you end up with

My dad and I have both run them on 10/22's, not a bad little sight for the money.

if these guns are going to be fun plinkers, buy the $30 BSA red dot have fun, and if it gives you trouble toss it out.

Back
Top Bottom