Red dot on a carry pistol - worth it to mill a slide or nah?

that new holosun scs is supposed to work fine with the stock iron sights, it seems, the way it fits into the MOS slide. i keep looking online about it, and it is so far 50/50 responses on it.
it seems there are indeed some failures, not clear if it was all on the initial batch of them or a persistent design level thing. but conceptually i like it, as it seems to sit deep enough in the slide as is.

I know that if I go down that road its going to cost me a shitload of money because I'd probably end up converting a lot of guns. [laugh]
Lol this is one of the reasons I haven’t gone down that road either.
Though I do play around with a vortex venom dot on my Dan Wesson 357 mag. I will say when I’m shooting my 8" plate at 50+ yards, the dot makes it easier than with irons. I think part of it is that it’s only the tiny 3 MOA dot covering the plate versus my fiber optic front and rear notch etc.

Also have a dot on my Ruger MKIII Hunter 22 pistol.

It seems I’m one of the few still shooting SSP in IDPA and Production in USPSA lol. Carry Optics has exploded over the last few years.

I think they’re great especially for aging eyes - I’m not there yet 😂
As with anything it takes some practice getting the right presentation and finding the dot after drawing etc.

Last edited:
the tiny 3 MOA dot covering the plate versus my fiber optic front and rear notch etc.
2 MOA dot is the way for 50-100. with that you can hit 10" plate at a 100, with fiber sights - it is more difficult.
except if you are @gerrycaruso who did it fine next to me from his big ass revolvers with no stinking red dots on 'em, while i struggled to hit it from my shadow 2. :)

I have astigmatisms in both eyes. I started shooting a dot a year or two ago, and initially had a LOT of trouble with it. The trouble that everyone has - finding the damn dot when you go from holster or low ready to getting a sight picture.

I did a bit of research and a bunch of dryfire. Problem gone. I can close my eyes, draw from my holster, present the gun and when I open my eyes - I see the dot. The gun is in the correct place relative to my eyes. That comes from practice, lots of practice.

I was shooting bowling pins the other day, over at Ledyard, and realized that of the five guns on the table - ALL of them had dots.
Browning Buckmark - Burris FastFire III
GP100 - Burris FastFire III
G34 - Trijicon SRO
G31 - Trijicon RMR
G41 - Trijicon SRO

The Burris FastFire's aren't horrendously expensive, but I think of them as more fragile than the Trijicons. The guns they're on are range toys - so I'm not concerned if they fail.

The Trijisons ARE horrendously expensive - but it's a "buy once - cry once" situation. The G31 is a carry gun for me, which is why it has the RMR on it. The two with SROs are for competition and pins. The SRO doesn't feel as "rugged" as the RMR - but it's wicked fast to acquire the dot through the glass.

I leave the Trijicons on all the time, swap the batteries out every six months, (it's on my calendar).

I still like shooting irons - but the reality is that I can shoot dots faster and more accurately.
💴 💰 💵 😂
Main reason why I haven’t gone to dots. I’d rather spend that money on other gun things lol

Steady aim is just one factor. Trigger squeeze another. But then you have sight picture, and inconsistent sight picture of pistol iron sights at distance can be a HUGE factor in poor accuracy. And those factors are additive.

Also, here are some data aggregated gathered from force on force training. It doesn’t lie. Red dot hits are more likely to be incapacitating shots. I cropped out the rear view because neither had hits there and I couldn’t frame it on my screen well.
View attachment 661687
View attachment 661688
These charts don't mean anything without context.

How was the study conducted?
Distances, obstacles between shooter and target?
How much time did they have to aim?
How many shots did each person take?
How much time between follow up shots?
How proficient was each person with the specific gun?

The chart means nothing because having a red dot without adequate practice (which most gun owners don't get) means nothing. And if those people have adequate practice, why are there so many red dot shots on the hand?

Last night at Dean Safety I picked up a 365 with a dot for the first time (my CCW is a 365 with iron sights). While the dot was nice and the co-witness was nice, I still had a little bit of a hard time finding the dot (and I shoot other guns with dots in competition). It would require some getting used to and practice every week at the range and a lot of drawing.

The chart means nothing because having a red dot without adequate practice (which most gun owners don't get) means nothing. And if those people have adequate practice, why are there so many red dot shots on the hand?

Last night at Dean Safety I picked up a 365 with a dot for the first time (my CCW is a 365 with iron sights). While the dot was nice and the co-witness was nice, I still had a little bit of a hard time finding the dot (and I shoot other guns with dots in competition). It would require some getting used to and practice every week at the range and a lot of drawing.
Read the report.

I’ve linked to it a couple times and pasted how it was conducted and details about the participants in another comment.

Red dot on a carry pistol - worth it to mill a slide or nah?

Yes. The X, same one I have. They have a few if you want to check them out.
no, i saw it. be careful with the zero. i do not agree 100% with what is below - but it does seem to have sporadic QC issues, from what people say online. optics choice is a bitch, as most cost almost as a gun itself, and some are just plain garbage.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr41Gd8JmwQ

the sig made optic X issue there, again, is the slide cut that is made for the zero, and this locks it for this sight. works for some, breaks for some. kinda goes back to my original gripe of what does not work well for a carry gun, as with time it may be fine, or may be not.

For those that are interested, these two pistols are excellent if you are new to the RDS on a pistol game. Both of these co-witness the sights with the red dot, this will dramatically reduce the learning curve. The Springfield is now shipped with the Shield Sight RMSc instead of the Hex, I think the Shield is a little better although they get the long battery life by lowering the refresh rate. The FN 509c Tactical is a very nice pistol, I added the Trijicon RMR, to me its the top of the line open emitter RDS but I have not tried them all.

If you shoot silenced the compensator is threaded on the Springfield 1/2x28, you can take that off and add a silencer.

tempImage0AffCo.png

no, i saw it. be careful with the zero. i do not agree 100% with what is below - but it does seem to have sporadic QC issues, from what people say online. optics choice is a bitch, as most cost almost as a gun itself, and some are just plain garbage.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr41Gd8JmwQ

the sig made optic X issue there, again, is the slide cut that is made for the zero, and this locks it for this sight. works for some, breaks for some. kinda goes back to my original gripe of what does not work well for a carry gun, as with time it may be fine, or may be not.

The Romeo Zero is a POS. The holosun 507K and EPS are excellent sights.

1663248852709.png

The holosun 507K and EPS are excellent sights.
you all will keep busting my balls here for an eternity, but i still gonna be in a stubborn mode - none of that shit is excellent. RMR seems to be quite good indeed and take abuse well, from what people say, the holosuns - meh, seems, again, to be a hit and miss. mostly good for most, but you see people talking about emitters issues here and there.

i have DPP on the glock now for, like, a couple of years, with zero precautions - it is my favorite old range toy and it means the gun was not handled with cotton gloves, it got now some scuffs and marks, and it all works optics wise. but it stopped waking up by itself, if it goes to sleep mode i need to turn it off and turn it on.
SRO so far was flawless, but i care for it (and hate it for it, as i have to care for this $600 piece of shit now). RMR on the other gun is also so far so good. and also expensive.

i will get probably a holosun scs now for the g34 MOS, will see how well will that go, as it has that not waky DPP and i am getting a DPP plate for a ruger.

so, i will remain rather skeptical, mostly, for now. keep your enthusiasm, while your optics work well. :)

you all will keep busting my balls here for an eternity, but i still gonna be in a stubborn mode - none of that shit is excellent. RMR seems to be quite good indeed and take abuse well, from what people say, the holosuns - meh, seems, again, to be a hit and miss. mostly good for most, but you see people talking about emitters issues here and there.

i have DPP on the glock now for, like, a couple of years, with zero precautions - it is my favorite old range toy and it means the gun was not handled with cotton gloves, it got now some scuffs and marks, and it all works optics wise. but it stopped waking up by itself, if it goes to sleep mode i need to turn it off and turn it on.
SRO so far was flawless, but i care for it (and hate it for it, as i have to care for this $600 piece of shit now). RMR on the other gun is also so far so good.

i will get probably a holosun for the g34 MOS, will see how will that go, as it has DPP now and i am getting a DPP plate for a ruger.

so, i will remain rather skeptical, mostly, for now. keep your enthusiasm, while your optics work well. :)
You do you. I've run the shit out three 507K's and have had zero problems. Batteries have lasted two years on the ones that I don't carry.
I have two dozen RMR's and have only had one die around 25K. I have an SRO that is going on 20K now.
The DPP is known to be a fragile optic also it's tall as hell and has terrible controls.

Back
Top Bottom