• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red dot on a carry pistol - worth it to mill a slide or nah?

On zeroing:

I do initial zero at 10.
Go to 25 and confirm and refine (mostly focusing on windage)
After thats done im usually good to 50.

If im feeling super analytical after that ill do a walkback in 10 yard increments to 100 yards holding the same point of aim on target and figure out my holds.

Im partial to the Trijicon RMR, i put 1 MOA dots on pretty much everything but im weird.
Some of the cool kids in USPSA seem to be gravitating to 6 MOA, FWIW. The Holosun circle dot has the advantage that if you have a bad presentation and can’t see the dot, you might still be able to see the circle and that would tell you where the dot is. The circle dot is certainly more busy. Reticle choice does seem to be a personal taste thing.

Some of the cool kids in USPSA seem to be gravitating to 6 MOA, FWIW. The Holosun circle dot has the advantage that if you have a bad presentation and can’t see the dot, you might still be able to see the circle and that would tell you where the dot is. The circle dot is certainly more busy. Reticle choice does seem to be a personal taste thing.

Yeah. I like the 1 because i like shooting small targets at distance. B8s a 50 are therapeutic for me lololol

Yeah. I like the 1 because i like shooting small targets at distance. B8s a 50 are therapeutic for me lololol
The two SROs that I just bought for game guns are supposedly 5 MOA, though they look pretty small to me. I figure bigger will be easier for me to see quickly.

Too bad no one's willing to touch a P30V3 with safety for milling work, even Langdon Tactical. Would you guys recommend carrying a subcompact with an optic?

IMG_20160321_073619501.jpg
IMG_20160321_073628586.jpg

So it’s settled then…
Red Dot Users…
1663196176619.jpeg

Iron sight users…

1663196247499.jpeg

just having fun…we’re all on the same team…except the RD users, some of them might be switch hitters.[rofl]

What do you think about the new reticle with the chevron and the outer ring? Gimmick or useful? Thinking about this one to pop the RDO cherry.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOn4QQ4rrA

I can tell from scopes I have - I like a small central dot better than a chevron.
Dunno, would be nice to try it somewhere first, how my astigmatism will react to it.

What do you think about the new reticle with the chevron and the outer ring? Gimmick or useful? Thinking about this one to pop the RDO cherry.

I have one because I was curious. I’m not a fan. Aside from liking dots and crosshairs over chevrons, the ring also causes a lot of red blooming in the lens as you go through your presentation. Basically, there will be parts of your presentation where you don’t yet see either the chevron or the ring, but the entire lens gets a flash of red. It is distracting.

Last edited:
I can tell from scopes I have - I like a small central dot better than a chevron.
Dunno, would be nice to try it somewhere first, how my astigmatism will react to it.

I have slight astigmatism. Red dots don’t usually bother me, but the chevron is a little fuzzy. I think it’s due to how tiny and thin it is. The point is still pretty crisp for me, but the rest of the shape is nebulous.

Last edited:
It’s not about the homo rounds touching tips, it’s about how fast can you place the shots in proximity to eachother.

I see nerds at the range taking selfies with their targets after spending 10 min on one mag and still look like shit. 10 min is like an eternity for me.
If your referring to my post above yours, I thought we were discussing zeroing the dot.
For zeroing, you do in fact want the smallest tightest group possible.

Last edited:

I can see the big outer circle helping you learn how to find the dot (or in this case the chevron) when starting out, but you would probably be better served perfecting your presentation through dry practice drawing till the dot is in the window every time.

I can see the big outer circle helping you learn how to find the dot (or in this case the chevron) when starting out, but you would probably be better served perfecting your presentation through dry practice drawing till the dot is in the window every time.
i`ve zeroed my ruger irons today (as i got optics off it, waiting for new mount plate for DPP) , at 25yds, got in the end a 1.5-2inch groups shooting from the rest. several shots got in the half inch, but, not too consistent.
then shot my g34 into same target, from same rest, got same groups. not exactly a same thing, but, whatever. the sight type by itself is not a remedy for anything.

it was nice to feel it again, anyway, the old sense of getting under the target with the irons, i did not do this distance in a long time without optics.

so, as my curiosity got the best of me - i got myself a holosun scs.
Holosun SCS-MOS Multi-Reticle 32MOA Green Circle & 2MOA Dot MOS Pistol Cut Solar-Charging

a $350, plus tax, free shipping - a $371 toy. Here below is a picture of how it compares to the SRO. yes, it is very small. may be good for a carry gun, though, as it indeed can be left turned on forever. no clue for how long the charge will last, but, it works, adjusts to external light brightness, so, it is ok.

also, looks relatively neat on the MOS slide, as it sits there flush instead of the MOS plate. also it made to take off good sights and put back set of stock ones, for now, as they were the lowest ones i had.

the 32MOA circle is bullshit. the 2moa dot is ok. but, green - well, go figure.
an interesting thing - they got a coating on the sight that filters out most of the red. i tried to zero it using red barrel laser - had to turn off the light in the basement completely to be able to see that red dot, it was almost completely subdued. my prescription glasses with the sun-reactive coating reduce the halos caused by astigmatism, so, it will do, for now.

so, i cannot say i am extremely happy about what i did, but, hell with it, it will do, for now. a usual old solar 407C $260 holosun would be still a better buy, i think. other than a sleek exterior this SCS thing is not that great, really.

C8DD30A8-E082-490D-90A5-0D4B79C9AE8C.jpeg

I guess I can see the logic in it, though, assuming bigger is better for some reason. 32 moa is about 2 1/3" at 7 yards, good enough for typical rapid-fire SD work. Probably not going to be hitting clays on the berm at 25 yards, though.

The 32 MOA has some merit. If you present the gun but don't see the dot (because your presentation was bad), you might still see the 32 MOA circle and that will tell you where the dot is. Also, in close range, center the 32 moa circle on the chest and fire away. Some folks like the 32 MOA circle, others don't. You can turn it off, so to each his own.

Green is reported to be easier to see than red and is also apparently better for those with astigmatism.

an interesting thing - they got a coating on the sight that filters out most of the red. i tried to zero it using red barrel laser - had to turn off the light in the basement completely to be able to see that red dot, it was almost completely subdued. my prescription glasses with the sun-reactive coating reduce the halos caused by astigmatism, so, it will do, for now.

Yeah, the 32 MOA circle doesn’t do anything for me. And the red filter is a notch filter to make dots more observable at lower power to extend battery life. Pretty much all pistol red dots have them to some degree. Some are more apparent than others.

Sorry to hear the SCS is lackluster. I’ve been waiting to order one until I heard more feedback about them. They’re pretty bleeding edge at the moment.

The 32 MOA has some merit. If you present the gun but don't see the dot (because your presentation was bad), you might still see the 32 MOA circle and that will tell you where the dot is. Also, in close range, center the 32 moa circle on the chest and fire away. Some folks like the 32 MOA circle, others don't. You can turn it off, so to each his own.

Green is reported to be easier to see than red and is also apparently better for those with astigmatism.
With astigmatism this 32moa crap looks like a solid green blob obstructing half of view of that small window.
Some may like it, perhaps. To each his own.

so, i went today to pick up some stuff at harvard, and stopped to zero that holosun scs thing on my g34. it began thunderstorming, so i could not spend sufficient time there to sniff all of it, but, here are my top observations.

first of all - by design, this unit has only 2 levels of brightness - standard automatic, and a short press on the button increases the brightness up. no way to lower it.
i was zeroing at a standard splash target with a 1" grid at 25yds, so a red section there is supposed to be 4MOA in size. when i zeroed ruger with a leupold DPP other day with the 2MOA dot - sure, i was fitting dot into that red sector fine.
on a cloudy darker day today this holosun dot was so bright - it was not easy to work with. the dot size was way bigger than the red sector - 5 to 6 MOA at least, effectively. may be on a sunny day it will not be an issue, but today it was.

it would not prevent hitting 6" (or 8" - dunno) steel plates at 25yds, it worked fine. to aim with a red dot sitting this low is also - for me - was somewhat more intuitive, as it brough my natural point of aim back to red dot window, on SRO that sits higher i am consistently lower, here it was actually beneficial, the way how they made it sit so low.

window size is small but it works fine. did 10 mags with it, zero seems to stay where it was set. will need to shoot more with it.

overall, it is a device that should be at same $240 price tag. $370 is not truly justifiable, but, heck with it. an inability to lower brightness is a bitch. and, it is not a 2MOA dot, no way. 4 the smallest.

Last edited:
So china made dots = bad? What about china made lights like the Streamlight TLR series? Do you run Surefire only?

It’s a meme bro, don’t take it too serious.

To answer your question though, yes I only use Surefire. I bought one Streamlight TLR-7 and it flickered under recoil, useless.

Back
Top Bottom