• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

re: NES Life Memberships now available

What happens if you get an infraction for rhyming a word with a swear word and get kicked out? Do you get a refund? There was no recourse when I got my last infraction for "inappropriate language" for typing "rhymes with bunt".....

What happens if you get an infraction for rhyming a word with a swear word and get kicked out? Do you get a refund? There was no recourse when I got my last infraction for "inappropriate language" for typing "rhymes with bunt".....
remember case hardened? he lived on the knife edge too.

Lol! Quoted for the rediculousness factor. Surely there must be some moderating common denominator going on there...

Stunt, runt...... shunt, brunt, affront.... grunt, punt..... munt.... I could have been calling Maura Healey a grunt...or a runt... The mods had their minds in the gutter and I suffer the consequences!
You got an infraction, a.k.a. a warning. The mod didn't just throw you out. He warned you to stop behavior he felt was unacceptable. We all face similar choices every day. Heed the warning or don't. Stay or leave and start your own forum. It's your choice and no one is sneaking up on you and throwing you out. If you're concerned about being thrown out after paying for a life membership, then don't buy one. It's obvious you didn't get the message so it's probably best not to spend the money.We all play by the same rules, make your choice, but don't whine about it.

Are those are Eddie Coyle’s rules we’re all playing by?
Actually I think they are Derek's
I don't have a problem with a private organization having rules as long as they are spelled out in advance and applied equally, then I make my choice. Remember, this is not Gov.

If youre the kind of person unable to exercise restraint maybe life membership isn't for you. At least learn some subtlety, provocative insults get way more rep than ugly ones.

You guys sound like Serena Williams the tennis player. You get a warning, you get a second warning and don’t take appropriate action, rules are applied and then you bitch and portray yourself as the victim. You play the game, you need to play by the rules and accept the penalties

exactly. I understand the need for moderation and delegation but your a fool if you think every infraction issued is blessed by the man himself. If it was I would not be here now. seriously....
I don't think anyone is saying that

See post #248.
Are you seriously saying that by stating that they are Derek's rules I am also saying that he personally authorises ever infraction issued by those he delegated that capability to? What would be the point of delegation. This is basic business management.

42!, Do you believe the rules are applied equally on this forum?
I can't say, I haven't looked into it. And while my discussion with Moderators and Derek have occasionally gotten heated, I don't lower myself to personal insults and over the top language, and have never received an infraction.

But generally speaking, I would expect some variation as different people see things differently. If I had a problem with this, and again I never have and this is general and theoretical, i would take my issue up the line. I would expect that in that case the higher-up would look at the issue and make a decision, but I would understand that the official decision is likely weighted against me since the person issuing the infraction was delegated the authority to do so. This is to maintain that persons credibility as a delegated authority. But this would not prevent the higher-up from privately saying "chill out". This is really just how multi-level authority works.

You got an infraction, a.k.a. a warning. The mod didn't just throw you out. He warned you to stop behavior he felt was unacceptable. We all face similar choices every day. Heed the warning or don't. Stay or leave and start your own forum. It's your choice and no one is sneaking up on you and throwing you out. If you're concerned about being thrown out after paying for a life membership, then don't buy one. It's obvious you didn't get the message so it's probably best not to spend the money.We all play by the same rules, make your choice, but don't whine about it.

Doesn't work.

Back in the early days of the innerweb I was on this Citadel BBS at FDU and some frosh clown decided to bitch at me for criticizing his choice of sexual partners (a sheep). In fact, I had no clue who he was or who/what he liked to sleep with and had never made any such critical comments to anyone / ever (at that point in my life). I think he was just shopping for an opportunity to advertise that he like to bone sheep.

Anyway, I lost my faith in humanity and setup a BBS (Pipedream) that attracted like two other users:

Some dude from Australia and an Asian chica from Connecticut. (Not @minininjer, she wasn't even born at that point. Her name was beaner. Well, not her NAME, but her handle)

It was a rocking good time, but it was more like a group chat than a forum. Although it didn't have the FBI (FaceBook, Inc) monitoring everything we said.

Side note, I used a dusty server at work and had occasion to find out YEARS later that it was still humming away, parked in a rack someplace. I guess since nobody knew what it did, they were afraid to turn it off.

I don't even remember for sure but I believe I've only gotten one since I've been a member and that was in a discussion with Martlett.

Thank you for telling me that I have the choice! Very profound advice. I know I came across as super concerned! Switch to decaf dude. I was merely joking around about it, not looking for any real advice.

Actually I think they are Derek's
I don't have a problem with a private organization having rules as long as they are spelled out in advance and applied equally, then I make my choice. Remember, this is not Gov.
Are you seriously saying that by stating that they are Derek's rules I am also saying that he personally authorises ever infraction issued by those he delegated that capability to? What would be the point of delegation. This is basic business management.
Look at post 248 above.

You have no problem provided the rules are spelled out and applied equally.

Now you can’t say whether the rules are applied equally which is interesting. Does this mean you’d have a problem with NES if the rules were not applied equally?

I can't say, I haven't looked into it. And while my discussion with Moderators and Derek have occasionally gotten heated, I don't lower myself to personal insults and over the top language, and have never received an infraction.

But generally speaking, I would expect some variation as different people see things differently. If I had a problem with this, and again I never have and this is general and theoretical, i would take my issue up the line. I would expect that in that case the higher-up would look at the issue and make a decision, but I would understand that the official decision is likely weighted against me since the person issuing the infraction was delegated the authority to do so. This is to maintain that persons credibility as a delegated authority. But this would not prevent the higher-up from privately saying "chill out". This is really just how multi-level authority works.

Look at post 248 above.

You have no problem provided the rules are spelled out and applied equally.

Now you can’t say whether the rules are applied equally which is interesting. Does this mean you’d have a problem with NES if the rules were not applied equally?
Yes I would. Just as I would anywhere.
Of course I'd be sure of the facts, and not just side with someone whining about a warning. And I'd expect the wronged party to appropriately appeal to Derek and not try to turn it into a public pissing contest. Basically to behave in a reasonable manner......,..then again, if they were reasonable they probably wouldn't have gotten into the situation in the first place. Or would have accepted the warning when they went to far.

Yes I would. Just as I would anywhere.
Of course I'd be sure of the facts, and not just side with someone whining about a warning. And I'd expect the wronged party to appropriately appeal to Derek and not try to turn it into a public pissing contest. Basically to behave in a reasonable manner......,..then again, if they were reasonable they probably wouldn't have gotten into the situation in the first place. Or would have accepted the warning when they went to far.

Derek isn't Derek anymore. The new Derek is just somebody that picked that as a user name.

Wherever he is, I wish Derek well. When I first met him, he gave me this sideways look, sized me up, and shook my hand. A proper handshake. Left quite an impression on me.

Back
Top Bottom