• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

re: NES Life Memberships now available

I see I wasn't the only one to do some "How much longer can I reasonably expect to live" math! ;) Wait! How old is Derek! LOL

NES seems solid. But I was on another great forum for years then the owner disappeared for about a year, came back and shut it down with no warning.

The swag is nice. Maybe they could sweeten the pot by adding a free Get Out of Jail (banning) card. Or 1 free infraction every 6 months. That would be totally worth it for some people.[devil2]

Still thinking about it. It's my slow season at work so cash is low.

Think of the $395 as insurance from ever being banned.[pot]
The swag just sweetens the deal.
Seriously, it may not be for everyone but it can be a great deal for the right members.

See now you got my interest. Can we get a ruling on this?

Seriously, it may not be for everyone but it can be a great deal for the right members.

I wouldn't want to put a bet on that! I've known Derek for a number of years prior to NES and he's no nonsense. If you screw up, no matter what you paid, you'll be gone!

I see I wasn't the only one to do some "How much longer can I reasonably expect to live" math! ;) Wait! How old is Derek! LOL

NES seems solid. But I was on another great forum for years then the owner disappeared for about a year, came back and shut it down with no warning.

The swag is nice. Maybe they could sweeten the pot by adding a free Get Out of Jail (banning) card. Or 1 free infraction every 6 months. That would be totally worth it for some people.[devil2]

Still thinking about it. It's my slow season at work so cash is low.

Not at all. I did the math too, but in spite of that I jumped on it.

i've solved the old timer dilemma. ya feel lucky in the life lottery?

- everyone 65+ chip in to buy a lifetime membership (if they want in)
- they bestow it on the oldest member until death
- it then gets passed to the next oldest in the queue.
- same age, no problem. use join date to determine seniority.
- repeat until no one is left in the original list.

Haha, I was doing the math too, figured it was not worth it for me being in my 50's. Even if I lived to break even, it's not worth it to put the money up front unless you are pretty certain on a substantial savings.

Haha, I was doing the math too, figured it was not worth it for me being in my 50's. Even if I lived to break even, it's not worth it to put the money up front unless you are pretty certain on a substantial savings.

Isn't Life Membership good to get into all the NES shoots as well ?

If so,you would break even in 2 or 3 years.

I signed up.. maybe I spend way too much time surfing this board, but when I first discovered NES, it was priceless. I didn't know anything at all about shooting or the convoluted gun laws in MA. For the amount of time, effort, and $$ Derek puts in to keep this board going, well you can choose what you spend your hard earned cash for, but for me its a fair price.

When I first started on NES, there was a firearms lawyer and all around great guy, CrossX (RIP), he seemed knowledgeable, and I called him up to ask for advice and we talked for a long time, and he explained so many things to get me started in shooting, no charge of course. I kind of think of this as payback. An hour of a good lawyers time costs more than this...

Last edited:
I'm in my 60's as well and back into shooting after a long break (late '70s), but see the value of this forum beyond the ROI. I feel for those folks that would like to join, but don't have the $$$. Looking forward to meeting some of you at one of the get-togethers in the near future.

Doubt it.
The banning issue really has merit.

I would think someone banned soon after investing in a life membership would have a good argument for a refund given the subjectivity of the reasons for banning.

The banning issue really has merit.

I would think someone banned soon after investing in a life membership would have a good argument for a refund given the subjectivity of the reasons for banning.
I don't. There are rules/code of conduct, and by registering and/or signing on for a membership, you have agreed to abide by those rules.

i'm a member who pays yearly. i'm honestly not sure if i'll be a member for 18 more years. i would be interested in springing for a tumbler or stickers if they were made available outside of the life membership deal.

While I’m a big fan of lifetime memberships, I’m still mulling this one over. I’m not necessarily worried about the lifespan math. Even though I highly doubt I’ll be around in 19 years so I already don’t expect that part of the equation to work for me

I’ve been on a lot of forums that had huge daily visits and posts that just dried up and died.

At $200 it’d be an easier decision. That’s still almost 10 years of dues which is a long time in internet years.

I want to support this. It’s just a but if a tough financial commitment.

I can see this working for some. I just got done becoming a VFW Life Member and am contemplating whether I want to do Life Membership with GOAL or something with Comm2A. The forum is for fun, so thinking the money is better spent on the folks protecting our rights here in MA.

Works for me. Takes me out to my early 60's at the current membership rate if I paid annually, and then the rest is gravy.

Of course, that's assuming the membership fee stays the same for the next 16 years.

I don't. There are rules/code of conduct, and by registering and/or signing on for a membership, you have agreed to abide by those rules.
The interpretation of the rules is subjective. There was a post the other day by a member that was almost word for word a post by someone who was banned for saying the same thing a few years ago.

It’s Derek’s property and he can do whatever he wants on it and I’m OK with that.

The interpretation of the rules is subjective. There was a post the other day by a member that was almost word for word a post by someone who was banned for saying the same thing a few years ago.

It’s Derek’s property and he can do whatever he wants on it and I’m OK with that.

Yep. Exactly. I'm riding on three infractions Picked up the first one way back when this was a "family site" that is clearly not the case now. Next one was anti Trump moderation and the last most recent was from the same source. Quite the patient hunter I might add. So yeah kind of tough to gauge what flies around here atm...

So to bring it back on track how about a Parolee Membership where a $100 gets you a refraction removal and a Zippo. Now that would be a something worth sinking my teeth into....

Back
Top Bottom