• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pocket pistols

I put a Hogue J-Frame aftermarket grip on to distribute the recoil a little, but I've never found them that uncomfortable.
Yes, you can put a padded bootgrip on an airweight, making it easier to shoot. But once I did that, I could no longer fit the gun in my pocket, which defeats the purpose -- if I was going to carry a gun in a belt holster, I can carry and conceal a gun that is a lot bigger and easier to shoot than an airweight.

Yes, you can put a padded bootgrip on an airweight, making it easier to shoot. But once I did that, I could no longer fit the gun in my pocket, which defeats the purpose --

Actually it wasn't a padded grip, it was the Hogue bantam J-Frame grip which doesn't change the overall size too much. The backstrap is still exposed. The grip is just a wee fatter, which distributes the recoil over a larger surface area on the fat of the hand. It does not "absorb" any recoil.

... if I was going to carry a gun in a belt holster, I can carry and conceal a gun that is a lot bigger and easier to shoot than an airweight.

True this.

Last edited:
What part blew up? The cylinder is made of steel, just like any other all steel J-Frame. Are you saying the frame cracked? I've put 1000's through mine including several boxes of full power 158's.

The cylinder is never the problem, it's always the frame. It usually cracks up around where the forcing cone is.

There is either a design flaw with these guns or there are a shitload of them with bad metallurgy in the frames.

The problems with these guns are the stuff of legends. I treat all of them as time bombs. If I came into one as in inheritance or a cheap
pickup, I'd clean it up and sell it without firing a shot.

-Mike

Last edited:
Actually it wasn't a padded grip, it was the Hogue bantam J-Frame grip which doesn't change the overall size too much. The backstrap is still exposed. The grip is just a wee fatter, which distributes the recoil over a larger surface area on the fat of the hand. It does not "absorb" any recoil.

Ah, gotcha. I'd tried one of these:

item_1711024.jpg

But gave up on it for the reason described above.

Nobody mentioned it because it sucks. It's a gun meant to be carried a lot and shot very little. I know at least 2 people who have blown theirs up using factory ammunition. There are at least one or two other ones on NES that have done this, as well. The guy I learned how to reload from, his is still working OK, but he still more or less blew it up once (and not from bad reloads, this guy is stupidly cautious). It's been OK since he got it back from S&W.

That said, If offered to shoot one I'd politely decline the offer. The guns are just pain all the way around.

-Mike

I was seriously considering an airweight when I was looking at model 60's. I just read too many reports of them blowing up. I wasn't sure just how prevalent it was, but hearing this makes me think....its...umm...really kinda prevalent.

I think if you're gonna shoot .357 or .44 you really can't do scandium. I suppose if you JUST wanted to carry it, but I wanna make sure I shoot my carry guns for many reasons. The Model 60 really isn't that heavy and honestly I don't know that I'd want to fire .357's out of anything lighter than that already is.

I was seriously considering an airweight when I was looking at model 60's. I just read too many reports of them blowing up. I wasn't sure just how prevalent it was, but hearing this makes me think....its...umm...really kinda prevalent.

I feel lucky to be alive after reading this thread.

Light guns that shoot magnum loads will be more susceptible to failure than the same load in a heavier gun, no doubt. But this is starting to sound like the Glock = "hand grenade in waiting" mythos.

I compared the bodyguard, the lc9, and the 238. I went with the bodyguard and my friend went with the lc9. I've fired hundreds of rounds through both and they're both amazing guns. The trigger pull on the bodyguard probably exceeds ten pounds. IMHO the 238 for what you get just seemed to expensive and I love sigs. It is an amazing gun though!

I also used a AMT .380 (single action) for awhile. I liked that little POS. Great balance of size and weight. Unfortunately the trigger and spring fell out and I lost it somehow! [shocked]

If anyone has a lead on a trigger and trigger spring please let me know.

PM sent for Bob's gun parts http://www.gun-parts.com/rigarmi/

I have had a 380 backup single action for over 30 years never had a FTF I think the DAO are the problem Mike

I'm looking for a pocket gun myself, when attire / situation promotes carrying one.

I have shot quite a few just by asking around and friends "carry guns" and so far I am really a fan of the Kahr PM9. (lightweight, so damn small, 9mm, and easy to shoot)

I'm ready to buy, but I still have not had the chance to compare it to its all steel brother the MK9. Has anyone shot both? Does the weight gain generate a *NOTICEABLE* recoil reduction? I know there will be less but can anyone quantify it?

Thanks in advance. New to the forum and really appreciate all the help. One great thing after the next.

I haven't seen the P3AT mentioned, nor the PF9.

For pocket carry, I can't imagine anything lighter than the P3AT, and isn't weight pretty important on pocketability?

These can be had for less than $250 new, if I remember right.

I have both the MK9 and the PM9. Yes, the MK9 has significantly less felt recoil. But the MK9 is just too heavy for me to carry comfortably. I carry the PM9 instead. Neither is a range gun that you are going to want to put several hundred rounds through at a time.

botticelli;2226031 I have shot quite a few just by asking around and friends "carry guns" and so far I am really a fan of the Kahr PM9. (lightweight said:
I have not fired the MK9 but will tell you that I can reliably hit a paper plate with every round in the magazine at 50' with my PM9. I have pretty big hands and do not find the recoil to be unpleasant. I would say the PM9 is hard to beat when all things are considered.
It is a bit pricey for a pocket gun, but it is very reliable, very accurate and exceptionally concealable. And when you consider that it is 9mm instead of 380 or smaller, it makes it a no brainer for me

Even though I've switched to the G33, the previous pocket gun was a 442 with CT 405 grips. Helps reduce felt recoil and the red dot makes close range target acquisition a breeze

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, I too have been comparing these. Specifically, looking at 380 since I wanted to go with the smallest and lightest at least to start with.

Wanting to try before I buy, looking at Sigp238, Kahr 380, Ruger, and S&W BG.

Bobs in salisbury had a Bodyguard, which i rented this weekend.

Was very surprised with the accuracy. The laser wasn't working, but at 25', which is prob max for this type of gun, 5 shots in quick succession on target. Shooting one handed using the sights, very accurate; without the sights, just pointing up and shooting reflexively, still on target, but you are not getting accuracy, rather hitting center of mass. Went thru 50 rds in about 10-15 min. My hand was ringing a bit at the end.

If I was blindfolded and handed the gun, I would swear that is was a DA revolver based on the trigger. This trigger is nothing like my S&W 9 or Sig. It is a very long, hard pull, but very consistent. Definitely no mush in it at all. Once you realize what it is, no problem to use.

I really like the Sig Mosquito and 229 that I have used, I am hoping to try out a 238, hear great things about it. If anyone knows where to rent one, please let me know.

I really like the Sig Mosquito and 229 that I have used, I am hoping to try out a 238, hear great things about it. If anyone knows where to rent one, please let me know.

My fiancee has a 238 and its now one of my favorites to shoot. Feels great in the hand despite the size.

Kahr PM9 fits all those features very well. It disappears either in my pocket, in a Crossbreed supertuck, or in an ankle holster very nicely.

+1 on the pm9. in my front pocket now and is most every day. its a great shooter and has all the features you are looking for. its a little on the big side if you wear skinny jeans or nut-huggers but if you wear normal pants & jeans its great. selling fact for me was 9mm in my pocket.

The BG 380 is one of the best pocket guns around for the money if you can live with .380 auto.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom