• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pocket pistols

Last I heard, the p938 was supposed to come in April. Don't know if this is accurate, read it on some forum and you know how reliable they are :)

I don't get the lasers that come with these pocket guns. My dad has the sig laser for his 238. It *works* ok, but you have to reach up to the front of the gun to turn it on. To me that pretty much eliminates the entire point of having the laser in the first place. It has to turn on when you grab the gun.

Im going to get the crimson trace one for mine.

I have the LCP with the side mounted laser. Works pretty good and is easily removable if you want

R1aa.jpg

I too am in the market for a pocket gun. Went to S&W to check out a BG380. While it looked & handled great, I didn't get a chance to demo one. Apparently it's not up to the task of a "range gun," so they pulled it.

^^^
Got it off Ebay of all places.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-380-L...545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256caf9259

His prices have gone up over the years. I paid significantly less when I got mine a couple of years ago.

For what he's charging now, I'd go with a Meco holster. (At the time I needed a wallet holster ASAP and this was one of the few that didn't have a 8-12 week backlog.)

One of the drawbacks of my holster is that the leather backing is a little thinner than I'd like it. The leather is starting to form around the pistol. (A problem friends with Meco's aren't seeing). Otherwise it's held up pretty well.

In my back pocket every day of the week and most weekends. Almost never leave home without it. [smile]

DSC_0147.jpg

Wow. Really nice! Can't believe how small that looks.

Anyone with a P238 have a rig like this and can post a pic? Really like the 238, but having trouble with a SA in pocket, maybe seeing it holstered would offer a new light to this for me.

I have a Keltec P3AT. Yeah, it's not the greatest, but it's never jammed on me and its better than carrying nothing when I need to run out somewhere quick. I bet I'll be the only one to admit I own one, let alone actually carry it [laugh]

ETA: I'll add that it's the only gun I've ever fired where I'm 99% sure the ejected brass is moving faster and travels farther then the bullet when fired [rofl]

Last edited:
Boy have I ever been here. About a year of research and buying and selling pistols... here my 02.

LCP- Wont shoot suitable BB or DP ammo, no slide lock, poor sites, uncomfortable to shoot.
P380- Unreliable- Jams, trigger broke, slide lock back issues
Bodyguard- Unreliable- laser blew apart, firing pin broke, known for light primer strikes
TCP- In testing, this one looks promising. Only downside is poor sites.
P238- Nice, but roughly the same size (width matters most in the pocket) next to a PM9- given the choice, no comparison.
Kahr PM9- Tad larger than the poly .380s but all the positives make it worth it- +P 9mm, real sites and gun controls, very reliable.

Recommendation at this point: Kahr PM9, Taurus TCP if you want to give it a go. Only $199 on Buds for the black stainless model- not much to loss.

I love my TCP. Never FTF, Never FTE, slide locks back on empty mag, weighs nothing. Perfect. Sights....who cares, its a pocket gun, point and shoot. Its for close range.

I love my TCP. Never FTF, Never FTE, slide locks back on empty mag, weighs nothing. Perfect. Sights....who cares, its a pocket gun, point and shoot. Its for close range.

+1

Put a couple hundred rounds down my buddies Taurus TCP the other day, worked flawlessly the entire time. Without a doubt the most reliable .380 I have shot.

Bodyguard has been a good carry gun for me. I've been thinking of upgrading to the LC9.

My buddy and I both had Bodyguards (late 2011 & 2012 manufacture date). Long story short: They packed too many features at too low of a price point to keep the quality up.

Both had light primer strikes, both fell apart. They fed everything, the ergos were top notch, the recoil was minimal, the sites were great along with accuracy. BUT, all the internals are MIM and having a built in laser (as it turned out, a useless laser- for me) is just a bad idea. They are in fact known for light primer strikes with no remedy. That in itself gives it the boot. If they could solve the light strike issue, replace a couple key pieces (striker, for example) with machined versions, and remove the laser, they would have a real winner on their hands. But right now, they don't.

My buddy and I both had Bodyguards (late 2011 & 2012 manufacture date). Long story short: They packed too many features at too low of a price point to keep the quality up.

Both had light primer strikes, both fell apart. They fed everything, the ergos were top notch, the recoil was minimal, the sites were great along with accuracy. BUT, all the internals are MIM and having a built in laser (as it turned out, a useless laser- for me) is just a bad idea. They are in fact known for light primer strikes with no remedy. That in itself gives it the boot. If they could solve the light strike issue, replace a couple key pieces (striker, for example) with machined versions, and remove the laser, they would have a real winner on their hands. But right now, they don't.

Very similar troubles here.... Striker/hammer (made of MIM) broke off (S&W fixed for free). It fails to fire every once in a while, which from reading your posts, i now know is a light primer strike. I love the gun in Crossbreed Minituck, but I've lost some faith in it. Recently picked up a G26, but don't have a Supertuck for it yet.

Good to know! I thought the light primer strikes were caused by my cheap ammo. Is it an issue if you send it back to S&W they can help out with?

Very similar troubles here.... Striker/hammer (made of MIM) broke off (S&W fixed for free). It fails to fire every once in a while, which from reading your posts, i now know is a light primer strike. I love the gun in Crossbreed Minituck, but I've lost some faith in it. Recently picked up a G26, but don't have a Supertuck for it yet.

You'll love the 26! I've carried a 27 for years. I bought the Bodyguard for situations where I had to be tucked in and could use something for my front pocket. It's great as far as size but the light primer strike worries me a little.

You'll love the 26!
It's my first Glock. I really like the gun except for how it fits my hand. The rear backstrap hump is in an awkward place when I hold the gun. That said, I'll take that uncomfort from a gun that will go bang every time over a comfy light-primer strike!

-JR

I know people bitch about the lc9 trigger but the gun i rock solid. I have never had a problem and the gun is accurate as i am. Estimate close to 900 rounds though it over the last 5 months.

It's my first Glock. I really like the gun except for how it fits my hand. The rear backstrap hump is in an awkward place when I hold the gun. That said, I'll take that uncomfort from a gun that will go bang every time over a comfy light-primer strike!

-JR

I own several glocks and I carry them often. I trust their reliability with my life! IMO they're fun range guns as well.

Back
Top Bottom