Planet Fitness

Do they have a lame contract like most of the other gyms? Most gyms operate on a scam artist sort of model, much in the way AOL used to oeprate, the only way to get rid of them is by canceling a credit card.

-Mike

You have to cancel via certified mail. You can't cancel in person or online. It's irritating, but it's not a challenging process in the slightest. I canceled my contract when I joined the MAARNG and I just use the base gym at Westover now. No problems.

Do they have a lame contract like most of the other gyms? Most gyms operate on a scam artist sort of model, much in the way AOL used to oeprate, the only way to get rid of them is by canceling a credit card.

-Mike

I have no contract at my gym, but I do have an EBT account set up. The normal monthly rate is @$45, the EBT rate is @$35 per month. I haven't tried to cancel it, but I'm sure it would be no problem.

Completely agree. My Gym (Golds: Milford, Ma.) there are all types of people. They come in all different shapes, sizes and colors. The people are friendly and willing to help those that need it. The gym encourages it's members to live a healthy lifestyle and the only time you will find junk food is on Halloween(Candy for the kids in daycare)

I never understood the "I'm too out of shape to join a gym" mentality. Planet Fitness is capitalizing on the weakness of others in their advertising campaign.

Might be more of a "Im too overweight, soft, doughy and feel embarassed going to a gym where everyone is a musclehead"

Gyms are for some people, and for some people a gym is not for them. Its all about picking and choosing the right method of getting fit is right for you. Same applies to picking a gym if going to the gym is your thing.

I got to PF in NY, There is some good talent there. I go during the day with the Milfs, strippers and college chics. I spend about 40 min on the Elliptical, (Wife calls it the homotron). I tell her running hurts my knee, But really its because its across from the doggy style and gyno machines.

I have no contract at my gym, but I do have an EBT account set up. The normal monthly rate is @$45, the EBT rate is @$35 per month. I haven't tried to cancel it, but I'm sure it would be no problem.

Interestingly enough, it is against MGL to offer preferential pricing or terms based on the condition of a electronic or credit card auto-debit. Of course, getting the AG to enforce this provision of law is a challenge.

Interestingly enough, it is against MGL to offer preferential pricing or terms based on the condition of a electronic or credit card auto-debit. Of course, getting the AG to enforce this provision of law is a challenge.

Really? I know a gun shop that does it all the time.

Last edited:
Good luck! I went into a rock climbing gym in Woburn once--checking it out for my son. It was like walking into the wild west saloon, where everyone shuts up and looks at the newcomer walking in! 250lb guy surrounded by 120 lb dripping wet "rock spiders" scurrying up and down. Was pretty funny!

As far as the ad, I heard it, and admit I thought they were talking about shooting gun show tickets. I did feel offended. Now...not so sure. They should be more P.C. though...should not say things like that to offend the true gun community!

but you had a gun. they didnt.

Might be more of a "Im too overweight, soft, doughy and feel embarassed going to a gym where everyone is a musclehead"

its like the fat women and dudes that complain at the airport because they get scanned and someone can see them naked.

who cares. you wanna stare at my balls, go ahead, you dont want to, thats fine too.

you are skinny and cant lift more than 130lbs, who cares. do you think this dudes where always that big?

Just blew coffee out my nose watching this one. Damn that hurts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMI9_...1&feature=fvwp

Can you say Michelin Man?
HAHAHAHAHAHA, some of those are photo shopped. the dude at 0:55, WTF is that?

Last edited:
Really? (gun shop) does it all the time.

I realize that this is splitting hairs, and IANAL, but my recollection is that what (gun shop) does is offer a discount for paying with cash, rather than additional cost for paying with credit. The end result is the same, but I believe this successfully circumvents the issue.

Last edited:
Really? Four Seasons does it all the time.

Nearly every gun store does it. Whether they advertise it or not is another story, and also how they do it.

Typically, the vendor agreements with the credit cards prohibit allowing surcharges for credit card use.

So, most of the time, a store only advertises the card price, and a discount is given for cash, so in this way, it's not a "surcharge" per se. It's all just semantics.

-Mike

I think that they charge the Yearly Rate divided into 12 payments for EBT. Might be a loop-hole to MGL?

I think the commercials are funny as hell but I think the gym is a complete joke. One of my other hobbies is weight lifting. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and lift. I'm no muscle head and I'm far from a stick figure. I sit at my desk 8 hours a day 5 days a week so I got to do something.

I really dislike PT for a couple of reasons:
1) They offer members junk food once a month. I dont understand the logic in that other than keeping members fat so they continue to go to the gym.
2) They dislike people with muscle definition. They haven't come out and said this but their commericals and radio adds pretty much say it without actually saying it.
3) They lunk alarm is designed to humiliate people. Why would a business want to humiliate paying customers?
4) The rules they have are kind of retarted. Grunting has been a proven method to lifting heavier. As long as people aren't screaming grunting doesn't bother me if other people do it. Slaming weights, what's the big deal? They are pieces of solid metal, they are not going to break. The floor is padded so it's not going to damage it in any way.
5) The Judgement free zone? I don't understand what they mean by that. In all the years I've been going to the gym (mid 90's) no one has ever judged me and I have never judged anyone else.

Personally I would love to go to a gym that had a bunch of people in shape with great muscle defintion. It's a form of motivation. With all this said I'll never be a member of PT. To each their own.

Why does offering pizza 1 day a month make them a joke? They don't force anybody to eat it.

I can't imagine eating a couple slices of pizza 1 day out of the month is going to bust anybody's diet.

Why would this ruin their credibility as a gym? They still have plenty of cardio and weight lifting machines as well as free weights, do they lose their effectiveness simply because there are pizzas on the table near by?

Why does offering pizza 1 day a month make them a joke? They don't force anybody to eat it.

I can't imagine eating a couple slices of pizza 1 day out of the month is going to bust anybody's diet.

Why would this ruin their credibility as a gym? They still have plenty of cardio and weight lifting machines as well as free weights, do they lose their effectiveness simply because there are pizzas on the table near by?

That's my take as well. The laws of physics apply equally to Planet Fitness and Golds Gym. Regardless of the commercials, the pizza, and the hideous purple color scheme, lifting things up and putting them down works equally well at any gym. Unless PF is doing something shady like stocking weights that are lighter than marked to make you feel better about yourself, it functions equally well as any other basic gym as far as I'm concerned. Sure, they don't have classes and rock walls and such, but if you just want to lift things up and put them down, why pay more than $10 a month to do so?

I think the commercials are funny as hell but I think the gym is a complete joke. One of my other hobbies is weight lifting. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and lift. I'm no muscle head and I'm far from a stick figure. I sit at my desk 8 hours a day 5 days a week so I got to do something.

I really dislike PT for a couple of reasons:
1) They offer members junk food once a month. I dont understand the logic in that other than keeping members fat so they continue to go to the gym.
2) They dislike people with muscle definition. They haven't come out and said this but their commericals and radio adds pretty much say it without actually saying it.
3) They lunk alarm is designed to humiliate people. Why would a business want to humiliate paying customers?
4) The rules they have are kind of retarted. Grunting has been a proven method to lifting heavier. As long as people aren't screaming grunting doesn't bother me if other people do it. Slaming weights, what's the big deal? They are pieces of solid metal, they are not going to break. The floor is padded so it's not going to damage it in any way.
5) The Judgement free zone? I don't understand what they mean by that. In all the years I've been going to the gym (mid 90's) no one has ever judged me and I have never judged anyone else.

Personally I would love to go to a gym that had a bunch of people in shape with great muscle defintion. It's a form of motivation. With all this said I'll never be a member of PT. To each their own.

I agree with everything but this:

Slaming weights, what's the big deal? They are pieces of solid metal, they are not going to break. The floor is padded so it's not going to damage it in any way.

Most gyms with dumbells over 120lbs are bent due to people dropping or slamming them on the floor.

I did the gym thing for 2 years during the 90's...I went in did my rotation and left.The gym is full of stereotypes there is no doubt there and to be honest just about every gym I was a member of they were all the same atmosphere.

Only one place that was really bad was Golds Gym on Amherst street in Nashua NH...it was empty for the first few months it was open a lot of very attractive women and casual atmosphere it was actually fun because the same people were there the same time you were so you get to know them.It all changed when Super H or whatever the WWF wrestlers name was went there a few times,every wannabe WWF dudes started going which turned into a total testosterone picklefest as it seemed most of the women moved on along with the slightly more rounded people and the smaller guys like myself.

When I first saw that PF commercial "I pick things up then put them down" I instantly thought of that golds gym lol.

I'm sure it's changed now but that was 10+ years ago.

FWIW, I lost 40 lbs @ the PF in Fitchburg...went in, did what i had to, minded my own damn business, and left...I see plenty of people at a "real gym" never lose a pound. They sit around and talk...it's just a meat market.

I have been going to gyms for years and since the 90's there has been a "health club" push. I can understand to a degree not wanting the place full of juice monkeys, but they go out of their way to make serious lifters feel unwanted. I have actually found body builders to be the most helpful people at the gym.

Gyms make most of their money off the "donators" which are the fat chicks (or guys) that sign up after new years and then never show up. They either pay up front for a year or set up a contract with automatic withdrawls so that they can't change their minds. Ever wonder why you have to sign a contract at a gym? If you didn't they would not make any money. I have a buddy that used to own a gym and he said the majority of their members were "donators".

I digress, but the point is that dedicated lifters (juice monkeys) will be at the gym 5 days a week for an hour or 2 religiously. They want people that are going to pay and never show up, not guys that are going to beat on the equipment every day.

I did the gym thing for 2 years during the 90's...I went in did my rotation and left.The gym is full of stereotypes there is no doubt there and to be honest just about every gym I was a member of they were all the same atmosphere.

Only one place that was really bad was Golds Gym on Amherst street in Nashua NH...it was empty for the first few months it was open a lot of very attractive women and casual atmosphere it was actually fun because the same people were there the same time you were so you get to know them.It all changed when Super H or whatever the WWF wrestlers name was went there a few times,every wannabe WWF dudes started going which turned into a total testosterone picklefest as it seemed most of the women moved on along with the slightly more rounded people and the smaller guys like myself.

When I first saw that PF commercial "I pick things up then put them down" I instantly thought of that golds gym lol.

I'm sure it's changed now but that was 10+ years ago.

That would be triple H, I worked right next door to the place. it was the epitome of muscle head place when he started going there

That would be triple H, I worked right next door to the place. it was the epitome of muscle head place when he started going there

Yeah that was it..I just looked him up.I don't follow wrestling..but yeah that PF commercial is what that Golds Gym was like when I left.

Back
Top Bottom