Planet Fitness

I do to the Waltham PF now and then with my brother- that place has a high frequency of naked dudes socializing in the locker room [puke2]

And who the F gives a flying F if a gym serves pizza once an F'ng month.

I do to the Waltham PF now and then with my brother- that place has a high frequency of naked dudes socializing in the locker room [puke2]

And who the F gives a flying F if a gym serves pizza once an F'ng month.

I always thought the intent of going to the gym was to get healthy and avoid bad foods. If they did a fresh veggie bar or fruit instead of high carb/calorie bagels and pizza. They are targeting a specific demographic for their membership.

I was a member of golds which had old ass equipment that was frequently broken so I dumped them and joined LA fitness and couldn't be happier.

I have been going to gyms for years and since the 90's there has been a "health club" push. I can understand to a degree not wanting the place full of juice monkeys, but they go out of their way to make serious lifters feel unwanted. I have actually found body builders to be the most helpful people at the gym.

Gyms make most of their money off the "donators" which are the fat chicks (or guys) that sign up after new years and then never show up. They either pay up front for a year or set up a contract with automatic withdrawls so that they can't change their minds. Ever wonder why you have to sign a contract at a gym? If you didn't they would not make any money. I have a buddy that used to own a gym and he said the majority of their members were "donators".

I digress, but the point is that dedicated lifters (juice monkeys) will be at the gym 5 days a week for an hour or 2 religiously. They want people that are going to pay and never show up, not guys that are going to beat on the equipment every day.

That reminds me of another bonus to PF. There's never a wait for free weights. After the resolution crowd dies down it's often pretty dead, and when it is busy it's just the cardio machines.

I always thought the intent of going to the gym was to get healthy and avoid bad foods. If they did a fresh veggie bar or fruit instead of high carb/calorie bagels and pizza. They are targeting a specific demographic for their membership.

I was a member of golds which had old ass equipment that was frequently broken so I dumped them and joined LA fitness and couldn't be happier.

The one by the BB hall of fame?

I used to work out at a PF in North Dartmouth, their sales pitch was way too strong, and the training staff was extremely arrogant. They seem to have turned their business model around. If it were a viable option for me I'd give them another look but only based on there low fees.

I don't prefer franchise gyms at all, I prefer well equipped mom an pop set ups that aren't conducive to socializing because I go to the gym to work out not chat. I used to be in great shape and still have considerable size and strength, the new to the gym high school age kids always seem to find me and try to play million questions. I'm no jerk, I humor most people but I don't have time to offer my advice to someone I just met and know nothing about to help them reach their fitness goals which are probably unatainable because they only began working out as a compulsion or new years resolution. Rant over

haven't read through the entire thread but did you guys know the friggin place throws pizza parties???? at least the one in Milford does. I was a member for over a year and the lax environment, lax people, un-enthusiastic environment really disgusted me. I switched the Gold's a couple weeks ago and have gone like 6 times since. Everyone's serious, everyone's there to really work out. It inspires me and I really need inspiration lol.

edit: nm lol just saw everyone knows about the pizza. what a joke.

you know what my workout is?

pulling the trigger of my rifles.

i figured that every 10 shot or so i burn a calorie. So i shoot a lot. And using my black powder rifle burns even more calories, specially after 20 shots when it gets hard to load.

(i am just kidding)

Pizza party you say? Perhaps I'll look into this Planet Fitness place you guys speak of. Did I also hear you mention that it'll be full of unmotivated, out of shape individuals who will not make me feel threatened? Excellent. If I get a membership to this place...is the pizza party all you can eat? I want to get my money's worth?!?

I trained at Planet Fitness in Woburn for a while but quit because I thought the place sucked. They closed on a "snow emergency" day. There was a guy at the desk and the lights were on, but members were turned away because of the "snow emergency". The parking lot was plowed and about 30 members found their way to the club while I was there, despite the "emergency". I went down the road to Gold's, took a trial workout (free) and joined that gym. I am now at Workout World in Medford because it is five min from my house as opposed to 30 min for Gold's. Golds has a better free weight area but I just can't say no to a five min commute.

Each gym has its particular culture or vibe. You can avoid it and just get in do a work out and get out but you are still in the general environment. When I was younger I worked out at Golds in Everett. It was a serious gym with a number of professional body builders. These guys were giants and they had flocks of adoring fans who would watch them squat hundreds and hundreds of pounds with complete adoration. Definitely was roid factory. I lifted with a couple of guys and we were the get in and get out types but you could not avoid the "culture". Most people who went there were serious about working out and the gym was all machines and free weights. There was a squat pit with chalk and "look at me" grunts were heard through out the gym. Very little cardio equipment and barely any women. Some of the Body Builders were a$$ holes some were good guys.

Fast forward to the late 90's and the 2000's and I have been going to Boston Sports Club and the Manchester Athletic Club. These gyms are so much different than the Golds of my youth. Golds was filled with thick neck Guidos fired by roids benching 500 lbs. The Boston Sports Club in Downtown Crossing is filled with people just trying to get in shape and fight the battle of the bulge. They have plenty of free weights, machines, and good classes as well as plenty of hot women to look at. There is a good mix of people mostly professionals who workout at lunch and before or after work. Staff is helpful and it is a pretty well kept place. I like it and it is pretty nice for a chain. Work pays for my membership.

The Manchester Athletic Club is near my house and is a nice club. The culture there is more focused on tennis and there are plenty of MILFs working out on the machines and cardio equipment. The gym is well stocked but it is not focused on Body Building more on general fitness. Jay Severen and Dennis Eckersley work out there. This club is more laid back and people do go there to just hang out.

My point is every club is different and has its own culture but you can still get a good work out there. The question is what atmosphere do you want? I can now afford to be choosey and would not work out in a thick neck gym or a planet fitness where an alarm goes off if you work out to hard. That seem f'ing stupid to me. I chose my gym because I was a single parent and it has day care so I can drop off my daughter and get a workout in.

Last edited:
Before Joining Abington Athletic Club I called Planet fitness and just asked them some general questions. One of the questions that made me hang up was I asked them what do their dumbelss go up to, they told me 70lbs and I just hung up after that.

Back
Top Bottom