• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optics Planet and ShotLock/TruckVault both suck

CrackPot

NES Member
So maybe I am not telling anyone something they don't already know.

Purchased a shotgun wall mount from optics planet. Product is from ShotLock (same company as TruckVault). Product arrives. Step one is you open the manual lock override to install batteries. Unfortunately the manual lock is rattling around inside the mechanism. Easy enough to manually push up the release bar with a screw driver and open the device. 4 screws later the problem is clear. The posts that the lock mounts to were not affixed to the frame of the device. Not sure how they are supposed to be adhered, press fit, adhesive (I hope not), spot weld. But they are not attached to the lock went rogue.

I reach out to ShotLock support. They say to return to optics planet for exchange or refund. I contact optics planet. They say fill out an RMA form. You may know that optics planet has a 30 day return policy FOR ANY REASON with free return label "on qualifying items". Apparently this is not a qualifying item. I can return for a refund if I pay return shipping. So to be clear, I get shipped a clearly broken/defective product and they want me to pay to get my money back.

ShotLock also contacted to let them know that Optics Planet is not going to be a good path here. Optics Planet contacted to make it clear I am not paying for shipping for a defective product.

Let's see if either steps up to stand behind their product. Otherwise I will be doing a charge back.

What happened to good customer service?

Purchased a shotgun wall mount from optics planet. Product is from ShotLock (same company as TruckVault). Product arrives. Step one is you open the manual lock override to install batteries. Unfortunately the manual lock is rattling around inside the mechanism. Easy enough to manually push up the release bar with a screw driver and open the device. 4 screws later the problem is clear. The posts that the lock mounts to were not affixed to the frame of the device. Not sure how they are supposed to be adhered, press fit, adhesive (I hope not), spot weld. But they are not attached to the lock went rogue.

I reach out to ShotLock support. They say to return to optics planet for exchange or refund. I contact optics planet. They say fill out an RMA form. You may know that optics planet has a 30 day return policy FOR ANY REASON with free return label "on qualifying items". Apparently this is not a qualifying item. I can return for a refund if I pay return shipping. So to be clear, I get shipped a clearly broken/defective product and they want me to pay to get my money back.

ShotLock also contacted to let them know that Optics Planet is not going to be a good path here. Optics Planet contacted to make it clear I am not paying for shipping for a defective product.

Let's see if either steps up to stand behind their product. Otherwise I will be doing a charge back.

Seems to be more and more, a thing of the past unfortunately.
Yeah, that would piss me off also.
Boycott???

I've always had good luck with OP's support. You may want to give that a shot. I usually use chat, but that option isn't available due to marshall law, but they got back to me via email pretty quickly went I needed support last week. Whatever you do don't try calling them now, you'll never get through.

Optics planet was pretty good for me 8 years or so ago. Since then I have found better outlets.
I use Brownells a lot , they stand behind everything they sell.
If its broke they will exchange it. If its so old they dont have it they give you store credit.

its not un heard of to pay return shipping for warranty. Im sure if you read OP or any vendors policies , consumer pays return shipping a lot of times.

I was burned once by OP and will never use them again. Their site will say an item is in stock, charge your credit card and then will send you an email that the product is on back order and I'll have to wait for delivery. Then the fight begins to get your money back. Never again. Plenty of other vendors to use besides them.

Sometimes I wonder if companies are pushing people to use Amazon on purpose or they are just f*cking stupid.

I ordered a ShotLock from Amazon. It didn't fit my shotgun properly so, as expected, the return process was simple and it cost me nothing. I realize smaller shops don't have the economy of scale to compete directly but, they could try to at least not suck so much.

I was burned once by OP and will never use them again. Their site will say an item is in stock, charge your credit card and then will send you an email that the product is on back order and I'll have to wait for delivery. Then the fight begins to get your money back. Never again. Plenty of other vendors to use besides them.
I had a Pro Melt 2 on back order for 1 year.
The only reason I didnt cancel is because it was still around $100 cheaper than anywhere else. And my other furnace worked fine. The Pro Melt was just a nice upgrade.

But, they also had a rebate for an additional $50 off ... which I couldn't use because the purchase was a year late.

I use and love the Mossberg Loc-Box. No Batteries Required...

1587138294280.png

1587138525699.png
Not my photo/shotgun

Hmm good to know. I was looking to pick up a ShotLock, however the non-battery one. Hope your issues are just a fluke.

I had a defective Aero bcg via OP. Was easily resolved via Aero RMA, who I know has great support (ie small parts I can even just send them a ticket saying part from purchase xyz is bad w/ my shipping info, with no further questions they ship a new one)..

We have been through this about OP - I question if people notice when something is not in stock because they don't make it obvious, but if you want it fast they are a bad option generally. If you want it cheap and easy without shopping around, pretty much OP has the market cornered - nobody has the selection and about a constant 20% off across the board, free shipping > $50 etc etc...

I also get their VIP pricing so get a little more $$ off than advertised prices at OP. I do 90% of my parts shopping with them.

If you paid by credit card I would call them to dispute the charge. Let them filigree it out for you.

Hmm good to know. I was looking to pick up a ShotLock, however the non-battery one. Hope your issues are just a fluke.

Let me know if you find anyone with the manual version in stock. They seem to be vaporware at this point.

Just pay the return shipping and move along

My only grip with OP is that they take orders on A LOT of items that are out of stock and then you have to wait weeks until they ship

The one I got is ALSO manual but also has battery and combo. You can always used it in dumb mode. Well, except when the lock just falls off.

No response from OP or SL today. Disputing the charge. They can EABOD

I ordered a ShotLock from Amazon. It didn't fit my shotgun properly so, as expected, the return process was simple and it cost me nothing. I realize smaller shops don't have the economy of scale to compete directly but, they could try to at least not suck so much.
I worry about the authenticity of anything from Amazon. Way too many sellers on there from China. Not that I have anything againt China, per se, but they are notorious for stealing IP.

Another +1 for Brownells

Just pay the return shipping and move along
Seriously? You like being bent over? The companies that do this, count on a decent percentage of spaghetti spined customers. A quick call to the CC company= chargeback!

I’ve had good experiences with OP, but their shipping and delays have driven me away. I can almost always find what I want other places at the same price and with better delivery.
I agree that their chat with customer service was always good and resulted in additional discounts more often than not.
I only use OP now to price check things when I’m shopping around.

Their return policy can be found in about 2 seconds. OP could have checked before buying. Consider it a lesson learned, not getting bent over.

Seriously? You like being bent over? The companies that do this, count on a decent percentage of spaghetti spined customers. A quick call to the CC company= chargeback!

Their return policy can be found in about 2 seconds. OP could have checked before buying. Consider it a lesson learned, not getting bent over.
The return policy is return for free for any reason for up to 30 days on qualifying items. I am not returning "for any reason" but defective product. Very different. They can fight the CC company now...

Most companies are moving to a return policy like this. By "free return" they mean they're not going to charge you a bullshit restocking fee, but they're going to either send you a prepaid label and deduct it from the return or you ship it back yourself.

I bought a pair of DC snowboard boots and the boa lacing knob broke on day 8. Contact DC, send pictures etc to them. They say great, your under warranty and we'll fix it. Just ship it back to us and we'll fix it and ship it back to you for free! But I pay shipping to send them to California. Contact boa themselves and they sent me a free repair kit.

I worry about the authenticity of anything from Amazon. Way too many sellers on there from China. Not that I have anything against China, per se, but they are notorious for stealing IP.

Another +1 for Brownells

Having sung my praises for some of the benefits of Amazon I enjoy, I have been weening myself off of purchasing from them for many of my needs. I have been making more use of B&H Photo in NYC for purchases when I can source from them. They offer free UPS ground shipping for many items which ends up being next day delivery from NY. I was quite surprised to learn I could purchase Streamlight and Surefire weapons light from them along with some models of Trijicon iron sights and a decent selection of optics. Their return policy is pretty no-hassle as well.

I agree with the concerns about Amazon. I have not personally received anything through Amazon which I expected to be brand-name and could readily identify as a Chinese knockoff -- doesn't mean I haven't -- I just couldn't tell.

A better example of the crap you are talking about is the Amazon Basic stuff. To me, these products are a thoroughly corrupt practice with Amazon being knowingly complicit in the Chinese IP theft/counterfeiting practice and selling these goods with the intent of cornering certain product markets with cheap inferior goods. One must also be careful about product listings with funky looking product brands as many of these carry rather small print disclaimers that it is an "Amazon Brand".

Not to mention, ridiculous price gouging continues unabated with Amazon marketplace sellers and Amazon happily taking their large "commission on those sales. I went looking for a particular pizza flour I use. If I find it in 1 Kilo bags, it normally runs around $3 or so per bag with free shipping. I came across one Market Place seller selling individual 1 Kilo bags for $28 (product + shipping).

If Trump is able to win another term, I will be greatly surprised if, in four years, Amazon greatly resembles the company it is today -- once Trump's Justice Department and FTC are done with them.

Back
Top Bottom