• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Planet Fitness

Interesting marketing campaign. The commercials are funny but there is a lot of push back from the Body Building community. Planet Fitness states they are a "Judgement Free Zone" yet they are discriminating against Body Builders and even gun owners.

A recent radio commercial says "Planet Fitness isn't the gym for anyone who has offered someone tickets to the gun show". What does that mean? Are they anti? [rolleyes]

Their Lunk Head alarm is pretty stupid but why was that thread locked? Just curious.

Interesting marketing campaign. The commercials are funny but there is a lot of push back from the Body Building community.

Eff 'em if they can't take a joke, it's a hilarious ad.

Planet Fitness states they are a "Judgement Free Zone" yet they are discriminating against Body Builders and even gun owners.

A recent radio commercial says "Planet Fitness isn't the gym for anyone who has offered someone tickets to the gun show". What does that mean? Are they anti? [rolleyes]

Their Lunk Head alarm is pretty stupid but why was that thread locked? Just curious.

Really dude? You've NEVER heard that expression before? Like Twinbrook said, it's a sarcastic term referring someone flexing their arms...wow [rolleyes]

Interesting marketing campaign. The commercials are funny but there is a lot of push back from the Body Building community. Planet Fitness states they are a "Judgement Free Zone" yet they are discriminating against Body Builders and even gun owners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1gouAQVFaE

Never heard that before...LOL. That makes much more sense. I am a little out of it. I ruptured a tendon in my arm and had surgery. Percs are good but they make things a little fuzzy.

I used to work out at the Golds in Everett. That was Juice Head central in the '80s. Now I go to Boston Sports Club. I liked Golds when I was in High School but like BSC much better now.

Last edited:
I like to bench, and my local PF only has the bench machine (Smith machine I think). I once belonged to the Woburn gym- and asked why they didnt have a preacher curl bench...

The guy said "we're not that kind of gym"

I dunno about you folks but I'm pretty excited about the new rock climbing gym that's opening in Hadley on 3/1. This is their 2nd gym, they opened their first one in Worcester a couple years ago; Central Rock Climbing Center.

My brother's big into lifting, me far less so. He and I text "I LIFT THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN" back and forth all the time. You've gotta have a sense of humor about these things. [wink]

I go to the PF in Plymouth, its really cheap and they have everything that I need. The commercials are funny, the thing that bothers me more is the ignorant people that think the rules don't apply to them. Sitting on the bike next to an old lady that thinks the "no cell phones outside of the lobby" rule doesn't mean HER, blathering on about going to compare prices on a coffee maker at Wal Mart vs. Target or their grandkid's deviated septum is not something I want to hear when I am working out. HANG UP YOUR PHONE OR GO OUTSIDE!

I dunno about you folks but I'm pretty excited about the new rock climbing gym that's opening in Hadley on 3/1. This is their 2nd gym, they opened their first one in Worcester a couple years ago; Central Rock Climbing Center.

Good luck! I went into a rock climbing gym in Woburn once--checking it out for my son. It was like walking into the wild west saloon, where everyone shuts up and looks at the newcomer walking in! 250lb guy surrounded by 120 lb dripping wet "rock spiders" scurrying up and down. Was pretty funny!

As far as the ad, I heard it, and admit I thought they were talking about shooting gun show tickets. I did feel offended. Now...not so sure. They should be more P.C. though...should not say things like that to offend the true gun community!

The ads are funny. The one with Jerome "Hollywood" Ferguson is good also.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ads are pretty funny. I just hate how this is what it has come to. Small dudes cant lift in a gym with guys who can lift more or wear tank tops. Big deal get over it. Its life. No we have to open gyms that don't have dumbbells over 50lbs because someone's feelings might be hurt.

I like to bench, and my local PF only has the bench machine (Smith machine I think). I once belonged to the Woburn gym- and asked why they didnt have a preacher curl bench...

The guy said "we're not that kind of gym"

I go to the PF in Waltham and they have a pretty large area dedicated to free weights (equally as large at the area with cardio and weight machines). It used to be a World's Gym, and when PF bought it, they got rid of the dumbells larger than 80lbs and a few other random pieces of equipment - maybe to deter the bodybuilder types? Who knows.

Good luck! I went into a rock climbing gym in Woburn once--checking it out for my son. It was like walking into the wild west saloon, where everyone shuts up and looks at the newcomer walking in! 250lb guy surrounded by 120 lb dripping wet "rock spiders" scurrying up and down. Was pretty funny!

As far as the ad, I heard it, and admit I thought they were talking about shooting gun show tickets. I did feel offended. Now...not so sure. They should be more P.C. though...should not say things like that to offend the true gun community!

Yeah, I hear the Boston rock gym(s) can be a picky, that's sh1tty.
I've been going to a sm rock gym in NoHo for a few years and can count on one had the few folks I've met that are pricks. I've found that opposed to a regular gym where most people want to do their own thing and not be bothered (me) in climbing, you're all there to do the same thing so people are friendly and have no problem shooting the sh1t and or offering some tips to help you on routes that you're working on.
Also, I've seen some big folks that climb like animals so don't be too discouraged if you want to give it another shot, somewhere else.

As far as the gun sho tickets comment, I haven't seen or heard any of the ads but I thought that was hilarious.

The ads are pretty funny, but so is their so-called gym.

The place is a joke...They have friggin pizza parties and supply donuts in the morning. They're setting their customers up for failure. They pay to work out then eat shitty food afterwards so they'll stay fat and keep coming back.

Planet Fitness is for low self esteem fatties who just want to say "I'm overweight but working on it" on internet dating sites.......[rofl][rofl]

The ads are pretty funny, but so is their so-called gym.

The place is a joke...They have friggin pizza parties and supply donuts in the morning. They're setting their customers up for failure. They pay to work out then eat shitty food afterwards so they'll stay fat and keep coming back.

Planet Fitness is for low self esteem fatties who just want to say "I'm overweight but working on it" on internet dating sites.......[rofl][rofl]

This is a gross generalization and largely untrue. They do have pizza, but only the first monday of every month, no donuts, only bagels on one tuesday morning a month. The majority of the people in the Plymouth facility are in great shape and work out to keep in shape.

If you want to set some personal goals its a joke in a box gym. Yea its funny but you wil not find me in that place. I would rather be at a real gym intimidating smaller weak people and kicking sand in the faces of old people.

At what gym does that happen?

PF has free weights, machines, cardio equipment, and an extremely low monthly rate. Who cares if a bunch of fatbodies go there?

That is a brilliant business model. [smile]

Living in MA, if my [STRIKE]biceps[/STRIKE] guns get too big, will I need a special license to "carry"? [wink]

That is a brilliant business model. [smile]

Living in MA, if my [STRIKE]biceps[/STRIKE] guns get too big, will I need a special license to "carry"? [wink]

haha
You'll prob need to register them and have pics taken at you're local station.
Gun guns are dangerous.

PF has free weights, machines, cardio equipment, and an extremely low monthly rate. Who cares if a bunch of fatbodies go there?

Do they have a lame contract like most of the other gyms? Most gyms operate on a scam artist sort of model, much in the way AOL used to operate, the only way to get rid of them is by canceling a credit card.

-Mike

Last edited:
If you want to set some personal goals its a joke in a box gym. Yea its funny but you wil not find me in that place. I would rather be at a real gym intimidating smaller weak people and kicking sand in the faces of old people.

At what gym does that happen?

Completely agree. My Gym (Golds: Milford, Ma.) there are all types of people. They come in all different shapes, sizes and colors. The people are friendly and willing to help those that need it. The gym encourages it's members to live a healthy lifestyle and the only time you will find junk food is on Halloween(Candy for the kids in daycare)

I never understood the "I'm too out of shape to join a gym" mentality. Planet Fitness is capitalizing on the weakness of others in their advertising campaign.

Back
Top Bottom