• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

That’s fine, but that won’t pay for the utility bills for a new heated range. If they are really looking to spend $8M on an indoor range, then the utility cost will be non-trivial. How much will it cost to run the HVAC system in the winter?
🤷‍♀️

I agree there's not really a lot of info provided. Whether or not that's by design is anyone's guess.

75 yards of range space is probably like 100 yards of building
A 300x100 foot building is 30k sq feet
Average grocery store is about 30k sq feet
What is the closet 75 yard range to Pelham?

75 yards of range space is probably like 100 yards of building
A 300x100 foot building is 30k sq feet
Average grocery store is about 30k sq feet
What is the closet 75 yard range to Pelham?
It would be a 75 foot range, not 75 yard range.

I was at a USPSA match there some years back. I had the hatch of my SUV open and I was loading up a magazine. I wasn‘t putting the magazine into my holstered, empty pistol. I was just loading rounds into my magazine. Some self-important clown yelled at me to stop loading my magazine or he would throw me out. I’ve never heard of such a rule in any club and can’t understand why he thinks that is dangerous.

Do they let you actually draw from the holster in the action pits? Last I heard they ran off the USPSA folks.
Definitely some FUDDs there. Ya Rob L stopped running USPSA matches due to limited help and I believe he was getting heat from the FUDDs. A shame.

Others here will refute this, but I think I get attention from roving BOD/ club fudds when I'm shooting on the action ranges about 60% of the time. There are good people at the club, but there are also those that like to bust peoples' balls. I'm not doing anything unsafe, it's always just a comment by the guy or two that seem to be retired and have nothing better to do than drive around the club keeping an eye on what everyone is doing.

I get the same crap at my club in Gloucester. I try to avoid going on the busy days when ROs will be there. All old retired folks with nothing else to do. Last weekend I got scolded for not having an empty chamber flag in my pistol on the table. I literally stopped shooting to talk to another member just minutes before this RO rolled up and forgot to toss on my empty chamber flag. Just slipped my mind as it was just me and one other guy. Weekend before that another RO questioned me and a couple other guys asking if we signed in. I
Both ROs stated they’re not trying to bust our balls. In my head I’m like nope that’s exactly what you’re doing because you don’t have anything else to do and your pants get tight going on power trips.
Meanwhile one of the RO’s wife muzzle swept me and a group of other members a few years ago. But he’s worried about people signing in. JFC🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

Anyway, sorry for the tangent/hijack.

No way Pelham should do this

At Pelham? I bring guests there all the time to shoot.

Wife most recently.

Timeframe: Somewhere between Christmas 14 and early January 15.

We arrived and it was super cold. We went to one of the indoor ranges. We were going to shoot 22 pistol and/or 22 rifle. Maybe some 9mm handgun depending on what was allowed in the range. We went in the range and there was a sign indicating guests could not shoot. We were kind of thinking about what to do when some range Fud showed up and confirmed as a guest I could not shoot.

We left that range and went to an outdoor range. Looked to be maybe 25 to 50 yards. Forgive me, it was my only time at the club so I can't tell you specifically what range. Same thing again. A sign indicating that guests could not shoot. We left that range.

We finally ended up at the action pits and shot in one of the pits for a short amount of time.

Afterwards my friend asked me if I was still interested in joining. I said no and he asked why. I said first if it takes a minimum a 3 months to get the processing going after I pay my $ and submit an application that is beat and not cool at all. If I happen to not fill out the application as they expect it can take longer ... huh? Also I would not really be provided with a comprehensive list of ranges, the rules and procedures until after I was accepted. Once again not cool. Add to that I was trying to check out the club but couldn't really shoot and my first exposure was some guy telling me all the places I couldn't shoot as a guest. No thanks. Plenty of other places I can join where at least I feel like I am being welcomed to the club instead of being hassled like a noob.

Timeframe: Somewhere between Christmas 14 and early January 15.

We arrived and it was super cold. We went to one of the indoor ranges. We were going to shoot 22 pistol and/or 22 rifle. Maybe some 9mm handgun depending on what was allowed in the range. We went in the range and there was a sign indicating guests could not shoot. We were kind of thinking about what to do when some range Fud showed up and confirmed as a guest I could not shoot.

We left that range and went to an outdoor range. Looked to be maybe 25 to 50 yards. Forgive me, it was my only time at the club so I can't tell you specifically what range. Same thing again. A sign indicating that guests could not shoot. We left that range.

We finally ended up at the action pits and shot in one of the pits for a short amount of time.

Afterwards my friend asked me if I was still interested in joining. I said no and he asked why. I said first if it takes a minimum a 3 months to get the processing going after I pay my $ and submit an application that is beat and not cool at all. If I happen to not fill out the application as they expect it can take longer ... huh? Also I would not really be provided with a comprehensive list of ranges, the rules and procedures until after I was accepted. Once again not cool. Add to that I was trying to check out the club but couldn't really shoot and my first exposure was some guy telling me all the places I couldn't shoot as a guest. No thanks. Plenty of other places I can join where at least I feel like I am being welcomed to the club instead of being hassled like a noob.

That's news to me. I've only been a member there for 6-ish years and have never seen those signs, perhaps they were taken down. I've taken at least a dozen different people over that timeframe where they either fired my guns or their own without any issue. In fact I like to pat myself on the back for getting at least a half dozen of them to finally get off their ass & get their LTCs after I took them to Pelham to shoot.

Only interactions I've had have been positive. There are randos now and again, but they seem to mostly be brass hogs looking for spent casings.

There are plenty of dipshits there. Like the dildos who used rifles in the handgun only action ranges & blew apart a bunch of new steel frames that are now removed. Thanks dickheads.

That's news to me. I've only been a member there for 6-ish years and have never seen those signs, perhaps they were taken down.
For the indoor range he's 100% correct that guests cannot use it. It's the same with the 200 yd range, the 600 yd range, and I think one or two others (turning target, perhaps another I'm forgetting).

I'm sure there's people that flout the rules when no one's around, but by the laws of the club guests cannot use those ranges.

For the indoor range he's 100% correct that guests cannot use it. It's the same with the 200 yd range, the 600 yd range, and I think one or two others (turning target, perhaps another I'm forgetting).

I'm sure there's people that flout the rules when no one's around, but by the laws of the club guests cannot use those ranges.

Ah that makes sense, I’ve never stepped foot inside the indoor range or 600. But I suppose that’s logical since members need to qualify anyway.

The indoor range qualifications are retarded. Going to vote no on this sale too.

5.) 100% volunteer club, you pay extra money if you don't do work hours.
Range maintenance dollar costs cannot be eliminated completely with volunteer labor, especially if you have infrastructure like automated target carrier, dividers that can be destroyed by an errant round, electronic card key system, heating bill, etc. The more fancy the system, the higher the maintenance - and it gets even higher if you don't maintain the skills in-house to replace failed components of your camera, range equipment, access systems, etc. I remember hearing it cost WPR something like $3K when a lightening strike took out their access control system.

You may also need to budget for occasional lead removal (hard to do safely and effectively with volunteers); occasional cleaning, maintenance of ventilation system, replacing HEPA filters if you go non-grunge, etc.

Some systems eventually go obsolete. Eventually (10+ years down the road), you may find yourself either replacing the access system; upgrading it; or upgrading to a newer generation camera. Plus, you need to keep software up to date and replace the computers running these systems every 5 years or so.

Any established club or range selling off property is begging for future problems.

This is similar to the clubs that limited memberships by "sponsorship only" membership for many decades. Eventually their memberships declined, operating capital declined, and operating costs increased. Those clubs should have been accepting new members all along, building up their funds and purchasing any and all adjacent land parcels as they became available.
That is how you prevent Karens from moving in and building right near the range and then getting together, harassing the club/range and eventually petitioning the local or state government to get the range closed down.

The short sightedness of some fudd run clubs and ranges never ceases to amaze me.

Folks keep saying 75 yard.

That photographed note says 75 feet. 25 yards is cool, but not 40 acres of otherwise undeveloped wilderness cool.
I meant to type "feet" not "yards".

Indoor ranges are overrated, they are everywhere. Not worth the future of the club.

Build a small outdoor covered area with a way of heating it for winter if the people need it (like Pembroke has for Rifle at the 200 yard).

But, whatever, I am not a member there. I would just hate to see another club shut down.

Members are being asked to vote on the sale of 39.2 acres of land on Pelham Road. I think they mean Old Pelham Road but no matter.

I like the range idea but selling land around a club can cause issues with new neighbors who don't like noise.
As everyone else has pointed out, this will get turned into houses who will complain about the noise. This is a huge issue at Pioneer in Dunbarton. Look at all the houses they built next to Harvard, Worcester, Woburn etc. Heck, back in 2001-2005 timeframe, I remember them building those mansions less than 100 yards as the crow flies from the utility range. Look on this forum for the issues they had with neighbors at Monadnock. As a Pelham member, I am voting against this unless I can be convinced that what I am sure will happen will not happen.

As everyone else has pointed out, this will get turned into houses who will complain about the noise. This is a huge issue at Pioneer in Dunbarton. Look at all the houses they built next to Harvard, Worcester, Woburn etc. Heck, back in 2001-2005 timeframe, I remember them building those mansions less than 100 yards as the crow flies from the utility range. Look on this forum for the issues they had with neighbors at Monadnock. As a Pelham member, I am voting against this unless I can be convinced that what I am sure will happen will not happen.
Yup
Is Rob L. still active or heavily involved at the club? Hopefully he's well aware of this. Maybe I should shoot him a DM

at Pelham, you have to qualify for the indoor range, the 200 and the 600.

that's why guests are not allowed to use them

That’s fine, but that won’t pay for the utility bills for a new heated range. If they are really looking to spend $8M on an indoor range, then the utility cost will be non-trivial. How much will it cost to run the HVAC system in the winter?
Mansfield F&G had a clubhouse and concrete walls/ceiling for the indoor range. It still cost ~$400K to complete it (with state-of-the-art air filtration system). First full year of operations proved that the annual budget for the club (indoor range, clubhouse, 50 yd, 100 yd, training range and archery range went from ~$24K/year to almost $100K/year. A lot of work is done by a handful of volunteers, but filters, rubber block replacement, heating/cooling, etc. all increase exponentially.

Predicting the future: sell land the Club owns, and the Club WILL regret it. Guaranteed to come back and bite them in the ass...

No way I would sell anything to anyone. If the club really needs the money then how about keeping ownership and developing it yourselves. Although my vote is to keep it is a buffer, anything else just invites problems.

No way I would sell anything to anyone. If the club really needs the money then how about keeping ownership and developing it yourselves. Although my vote is to keep it is a buffer, anything else just invites problems.
Developing it yourself will take a lot of up front money first.
Any committee willing to take that on is just crazy.

The measure apparently needs a 2/3rds vote. That’s a pretty high bar to clear.
Depends on the language of the by laws…
2/3 of the meeting attendance, or of the membership?
I’ve been in clubs that are shady like that and make future altering decisions with club finances on a 10 person general meeting with 8 people on the Executive board.

Tl;dr: Read your by laws and show up to meetings once in a while.

I’ve been in clubs that are shady like that and make future altering decisions with club finances on a 10 person general meeting with 8 people on the Executive board.

There is no verification other than perhaps presenting the corporate resolution to make the transfer happen - and unwinding it afterwards if there was not really a 2/3 approval is going to be nearly impossible.

the posted letter says 2/3 of all voting members in good standing; this is a little unclear, but sounds like that's received votes, by mail.

the posted letter says 2/3 of all voting members in good standing; this is a little unclear, but sounds like that's received votes, by mail.
"Of all voting members" is a loophole they can drive a truck through. Easy enough to argue those not present are not voting members. Their board should change it to "all members eligible to vote" if that is the club's intention.

"Of all voting members" is a loophole they can drive a truck through. Easy enough to argue those not present are not voting members. Their board should change it to "all members eligible to vote" if that is the club's intention.
I agree with the first half.

Again, we now have a copy of the letter. It's not an in-person vote. It's mail-in (with all the attendant comments about mail-in votes).

Back
Top Bottom