• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

Unless things have changed being a guest is pretty equivalent to watching others shoot. I was brought as a guest in late 14 early 15 and almost every range did not allow guests to actually shoot on it. I walked away thinking it was pretty much a waste of my time trying to shoot as a guest.

At Pelham? I bring guests there all the time to shoot.

Wife most recently.

If the land is contiguous to the club property I would never sell it. You're just asking for trouble. If the club is just trying to avoid taxes consider working on donating it to the town as open space or conservation land.

No, according to the club hierarchy it's because they can't use the land and our current indoor range is not heated, so this would "close our last gap" by providing an indoor range with heat. The proceeds from selling the land will go to the second (this one heated) indoor range.

I think the idea is that to be bourgeois a heated indoor range is required so we can check that box off.
With all due respect the club IS USING THE LAND. If nothing else they are using it as a buffer not just for projectiles leaving the club but for noise mitigation. Plant more trees to absorb the sound. People who are not involved in the running of a club don't understand how many complaints are received against clubs both formal and informal. I'd like to think that NH is not as bad as MA but I have my doubts. The BOD of ANY club should be sensitive to the need for buffer space if not I'd be wondering if the correct people are on the BOD..

I'm always of the belive that land, especially good land is hard to come by, selling up for a profit not a bad idea but losing that buffer between a gun club could cost you a lot more in the end.

A club should be buying land, not selling. Having neighbors closer to club will only cause problems. Don’t do it. Find another way to raise money for an indoor range, or reduce the scope of the project. $8M for an indoor range? That’s way over the top. They need to cut back all the Gucci crap they added to the indoor range design to make it cost that much.

ETA: if the sell that land, the developer will build housing on it. The buyers of those homes will then do everything they can to shut down the club.

Another club in Southern NH just built a very nice indoor pistol range for a less than $8m. Something seems off here.

Why not offer up the land for another Gun Club to build/shoot on?

Northeast Shooters Sportsman's Club...

"NSSC"

has a ring to it...

No because the club’s land is like something easy to lose but hard to gain.

A heated indoor range also sounds incredibly unnecessary. Is the winter weather too cold for people there?

No because the club’s land is like something easy to lose but hard to gain.

A heated indoor range also sounds incredibly unnecessary. Is the winter weather too cold for people there?
My club has a heated indoor range. 50-footer though. 75 yards would be very nice. But not "sell a parcel" nice... 🤪

if it is an adjacent parcel, and it sells, you now leave yourself open to creating one or more abutters who have no be notified for a lot of things, and the reason is so they can object.

I am not a member of that club, but as a property owner in Pelham I want them to keep it for no other reason than to stop another 55+ community, housing development, or etc from going in.

I have looked at the tax maps, and know where that property is, and although it is pretty much landlocked by parcel 13-82-1 which is on Rt 38 a little to the left of the red store at the intersection of Gage Hill Rd and Rt 38 ( Bridge St) you can bet your last primer that the deal in play is do also buy the lot with frontage on 38 and blow a road in there building houses.

PF&G already has new construction pushing in from the right side of the long range from Robinson Rd, do you really need more people moving in?

1663195970525.png

If anyone has pros and cons to bounce by me please feel free to PM me.
CONS = EVERYTHING.

PROS = NONE.

75 feet indoor ranges are everywhere, it is a terrible move to allow homes to be built near the club. It will hurt the club in the long run.

Or... sell it to me and I will build a range. [smile]

Last edited:
With all due respect the club IS USING THE LAND. If nothing else they are using it as a buffer not just for projectiles leaving the club but for noise mitigation. Plant more trees to absorb the sound. People who are not involved in the running of a club don't understand how many complaints are received against clubs both formal and informal. I'd like to think that NH is not as bad as MA but I have my doubts. The BOD of ANY club should be sensitive to the need for buffer space if not I'd be wondering if the correct people are on the BOD..
Oh, for the record I oppose the sale. I've literally never used the current indoor range and I won't use the proposed new range either, heated or not. It doesn't help that they make you qualify one-handed on the indoor range (at least last time I read the rules). The other club I belong to and any other club I've shot at doesn't do that.

I was merely explaining their arguments per the letter they sent.

To me, the letter read as "we're not using this land and we need to keep up with Joneses by building our own fancy heated indoor range, and we intend to do it by selling the land."

To not consider the consequences of losing the buffer is to generate potential future headaches at the expense of short term "gain."

My MA club has a heated indoor range and I never use it unless the outdoor range is closed for maintenance or training/events. It's been -5° outside and I still use the outdoor range.

Oh, for the record I oppose the sale. I've literally never used the current indoor range and I won't use the proposed new range either, heated or not. It doesn't help that they make you qualify one-handed on the indoor range (at least last time I read the rules). The other club I belong to and any other club I've shot at doesn't do that.
One-handed? Smells like old bullseye shooter fudd.

One-handed? Smells like old bullseye shooter fudd.
There's definitely some fudd stuff I don't care for. I don't think the 200yd range should have qualification. 600yd? Sure, that's fair. I think the 200 yard stuff was added in large part so the 200 yard committee or whoever can have the place to themselves.

Either that, or make the qualification easy. There's steel plates out there. Give them five shots and they have to hit the plate like three times with the other two shots at least impacting the berm. Good enough, you show you won't be a safety risk (at least any more so than any one else that qualifies with the current rules but then shoots recklessly).

I think it's also silly they don't let you see the rules until you pay to apply. People should be able to see what they're getting into before dropping hundreds of dollars to apply. At my MA club the range and club rules are posted online and accessible by anyone to refer to or read before applying, etc.

Others here will refute this, but I think I get attention from roving BOD/ club fudds when I'm shooting on the action ranges about 60% of the time. There are good people at the club, but there are also those that like to bust peoples' balls. I'm not doing anything unsafe, it's always just a comment by the guy or two that seem to be retired and have nothing better to do than drive around the club keeping an eye on what everyone is doing.

Someone here once stated that the past president bragged he wanted to throw out two members a month or something. It's a shame because the facilities are generally pretty good. I do think there was some turnover on the board, and things this year have subjectively seemed a little better.

Last edited:
I was at a USPSA match there some years back. I had the hatch of my SUV open and I was loading up a magazine. I wasn‘t putting the magazine into my holstered, empty pistol. I was just loading rounds into my magazine. Some self-important clown yelled at me to stop loading my magazine or he would throw me out. I’ve never heard of such a rule in any club and can’t understand why he thinks that is dangerous.

Do they let you actually draw from the holster in the action pits? Last I heard they ran off the USPSA folks.

View attachment 661768

Is the parcel land locked or just not suitable for PF&G use? What could others develop it for that would be detrimental in the future to PF&G?
1) Asking for a member vote with the price not listed? I know there are tactical reasons not to mention a floor it a non-so-secret record, but at least the current appraised value could be mentioned. If I were a member there are prices that would name a "no" or "yes" vote a no brainer.

2) No plot map provided showing the club borders and borders of the plot to be sold?

3) No mention of what the land is zoned for - which would give some sort of idea in what manner it could be developed.

4) No mention if members will be issued 24x7 keys to the range, or it it will be "RO scheduled hours only"

5) And how the club will fund the non-trivial ongoing maintenance and utility bill for the range?

4) No mention if members will be issued 24x7 keys to the range, or it it will be "RO scheduled hours only"

5) And how the club will fund the non-trivial ongoing maintenance and utility bill for the range?
4.) Members already get a 24x7 card. However, the existing indoor range requires one-handed Olympic style qualification before you can use it.
5.) 100% volunteer club, you pay extra money if you don't do work hours.

5.) 100% volunteer club, you pay money if you don't do work hours.
That’s fine, but that won’t pay for the utility bills for a new heated range. If they are really looking to spend $8M on an indoor range, then the utility cost will be non-trivial. How much will it cost to run the HVAC system in the winter?

Back
Top Bottom