• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pelham Fish & Game Club Land Sale

Not a well known piece of history when WSA moved to Bedford in the early 60s we had the current land and 200+ acres across the Middlesex Tpnk. That land was being used by the Boy Scouts as Camp Oak. The club stupidity sold all the land to the Boy Scouts for $1. In the mid 70s the Boy Scouts sold the land for big $$ and that is how Oak Park the office park was built. Many times the current club leadership has wondered what the hell the old leadership was thinking about.

Never sell land. Bad idea.

Increase dues, add a surcharge, borrow money. Do anything but sell that land.

I don't know how much land Sig has in Epping but it's a very large piece of land and yet, how many times have they had their asses dragged into court because of alleged projectiles landing outside their property? Pelham is inviting a liberal shitstorm if they sell off land near their ranges.

Not a well known piece of history when WSA moved to Bedford in the early 60s we had the current land and 200+ acres across the Middlesex Tpnk. That land was being used by the Boy Scouts as Camp Oak. The club stupidity sold all the land to the Boy Scouts for $1. In the mid 70s the Boy Scouts sold the land for big $$ and that is how Oak Park the office park was built. Many times the current club leadership has wondered what the hell the old leadership was thinking about.

That's crazy! Goes to show you that volunteer leadership for club is not all such a good idea. Not unlike the leadership we have today.

Tangent alert. BSA fought to sell it off. Much more at the link.

The Boy Scouts are owners of a freehold estate in possession in land situated in Bedford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. This parcel of land (locus), commonly known as Camp Oak, was acquired by the Boy Scouts in or around the year 1930 and consists of approximately 56 acres. The property is presently the subject of a purchase and sale agreement dated October 17, 1977, by which the Boy Scouts are to transfer title to the locus to R & W.

Tangent alert. BSA fought to sell it off. Much more at the link.

The Boy Scouts are owners of a freehold estate in possession in land situated in Bedford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. This parcel of land (locus), commonly known as Camp Oak, was acquired by the Boy Scouts in or around the year 1930 and consists of approximately 56 acres. The property is presently the subject of a purchase and sale agreement dated October 17, 1977, by which the Boy Scouts are to transfer title to the locus to R & W.

I hadn't seen that article. I'll find the material I have. It's been a while. If you look at Oak Park you'll see it is significantly larger than 56 acres.

BSA was located over on Crosby Drive. They polluted the wells in Bedford and all their land. A big scandal in the late 70s. I could be wrong but I don't believe BSA was involved with the land on Middlesex Turnpike.

WSA was in Woburn. A developer wanted the land. He traded several parcels of land he owned in Bedford for the Woburn land. There was around 70 or 80 acres where the club is currently located. There was also significantly more as I understand across the street that included part or all of the land the Boy Scouts had. My understanding was it was about 200 acres. Like I said, I'll find the articles/material I've seen and refresh my memory.

Is this to mitigate tax liability due to new assessments?
No, according to the club hierarchy it's because they can't use the land and our current indoor range is not heated, so this would "close our last gap" by providing an indoor range with heat. The proceeds from selling the land will go to the second (this one heated) indoor range.

I think the idea is that to be bourgeois a heated indoor range is required so we can check that box off.

No, according to the club hierarchy it's because they can't use the land and our current indoor range is not heated, so this would "close our last gap" by providing an indoor range with heat. The proceeds from selling the land will go to the second (this one heated) indoor range.

I think the idea is that to be bourgeois a heated indoor range is required so we can check that box off.
They'll have more heat than they want if they get some liberal Karen land abutters raising a storm.

Last edited:
No way I'd sell land belonging to a gun club even if the land can't be used by the club. Anyone buying 40 acres is damn sure gonna build houses or condos. Why would a club want houses closer to the club? That acreage is buffer against neighbors and has value for that purpose.
That is a real concern. In a straight line the parcel in question is less than a mile from the club. Some yrs back the club had the chance to buy the land across the street from the main entrance and the utility range. Now there are houses there. I do understand that like any club there aren't unlimited funds so I understand the pass. These days though isolation would be the best policy.

My gut is don't do it.

But, if you do the club not only needs to understand the value of the land if put on the open market, but the value to the buyer. For example, a one square yard parcel of land at $250,000 per acre works out to about $51.

But.... if that one square yard is strategically located so that a builder suddenly has the frontage necessary for N+1 houses on land he owns next to club property instead of N houses, it's suddenly worth tens of thousands. Yeah, I know that example probably does not apply here but if he sees a $2M profit opportunity by developing the land, your price should include a reasonable cut of the action.

An IBM VP told me their company would set up shells to buy land in towns where they wanted to put up a building, because they knew the price would go way up if the owner discovered IBM wanted the land. Check the zoning, find out exactly what is permitted, and assume the worst case.

And above all else hire an attorney who knows this stuff, and make sure you set enough from the sale aside to pay the legal fees when you have to fend off the new occupants who want to shut the club down.

Of, just don't do it.
Tough call indeed.

Big mistake. Even with covenants, some c*nt will eventually move in and fake a broken window shot out at their house to cause problems for the club and then the opposition snowballs against the club once a bunch of suburbanite twats hit the panic button on living near a club.

Off topic, I was actually going to join that club. Do you know if they allow visitors to tour?
Unless it's a board meeting or an authorized function there is no access unless you are a member. Members can bring 2 guests but waivers must be signed.

Define "can't use" it? What is the club's purpose in its charter?

e.g. Can the membership hunt the land? Can it be used for campsites? As others mentioned, can it be put into conservation as active forestry?

Big mistake. Even with covenants, some c*nt will eventually move in and fake a broken window shot out at their house to cause problems for the club and then the opposition snowballs against the club once a bunch of suburbanite twats hit the panic button on living near a club.

Off topic, I was actually going to join that club. Do you know if they allow visitors to tour?
And we know the fake broken window is real and attempted all the time.

Define "can't use" it? What is the club's purpose in its charter?

e.g. Can the membership hunt the land? Can it be used for campsites? As others mentioned, can it be put into conservation as active forestry?
I don't know. It seems the only realistic way to build the 75 yd indoor shooting range is to raise cash by selling this parcel.

I don't know. It seems the only realistic way to build the 75 yd indoor shooting range is to raise cash by selling this parcel.
Obviously, I've no dog in this fight, but can the current building be retrofit? Why does this range need to be built now (at peak prices, etc.)? If $200k/acre is correct, that's $8M - what's the plan with the rest?

Obviously, I've no dog in this fight, but can the current building be retrofit? Why does this range need to be built now (at peak prices, etc.)? If $200k/acre is correct, that's $8M - what's the plan with the rest?
No, there's no building there than can be retrofitted. A bulk piece of land may net less than 200K per acre but in any event with building costs having gone through the roof it wouldn't take long to go through 8M. It's going to be a nice facility no doubt. The long term affects of more neighbors is a real concern no doubt.

All members in good standing get to vote. It takes a 2/3rds majority to pass.

Then it’s not a realistic want. Nevermind that it’s not even a “need”…
Have we learned nothing from credit card abuse, college loan fiasco, and other reckless spending habits?

Unless it's a board meeting or an authorized function there is no access unless you are a member. Members can bring 2 guests but waivers must be signed.

Unless things have changed being a guest is pretty equivalent to watching others shoot. I was brought as a guest in late 14 early 15 and almost every range did not allow guests to actually shoot on it. I walked away thinking it was pretty much a waste of my time trying to shoot as a guest.

Last edited:
Some yrs back the club had the chance to buy the land across the street from the main entrance and the utility range. Now there are houses there.

Over the last 30 years WSA has bought several small parcels of land on our borders. The last purchase was either 8 or 18 acres. All of these purchases were just to increase our buffer zone.

Clubs should be buying not selling. Due to our location we are approached several times a year to sell off pieces of land on the borders. We always say no.

A club should be buying land, not selling. Having neighbors closer to club will only cause problems. Don’t do it. Find another way to raise money for an indoor range, or reduce the scope of the project. $8M for an indoor range? That’s way over the top. They need to cut back all the Gucci crap they added to the indoor range design to make it cost that much.

ETA: if the sell that land, the developer will build housing on it. The buyers of those homes will then do everything they can to shut down the club.

Last edited:
why do they need another indoor range? the qualifier weeds out many members for the existing range. full range length bullseye shooting style with max caliber you want to shoot.

Its to raise funds to construct an indoor range.
The indoor range has a finite life, and will eventually get run down and need refurbishment or replacement. This can be delayed many decades, but it will happen.

You can have the land forever or lose it forever.

Alternate solution is to recruit rich members and have a "remember us in your will" drive.

I believe the two guest policy was only during covid nonsense. Prior to that they didn’t have any limit, it’s just that only one person could be shooting at a time & the member had to be supervising the shooter

Back
Top Bottom