• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PA's AG says 80% receivers are firearms...

allen-1

NES Member
This is unsettling. It's very like Maura Healey's "ruling" regarding "assault weapons". Anti-gun Attorney Generals "interpreting" the law. If successful, I see other states adopting this line of attack.

“My Office is taking the initial step of clarifying – through my official, legal opinion – that under Pennsylvania law, 80% receivers are firearms and can be treated, regulated, and enforced as such,” AG Shapiro said today during a Capitol news conference with Governor Wolf and the PA State Police. “The proliferation of these untraceable weapons strikes at the heart of our public safety, hindering law enforcement’s ability to protect our communities. Today, we take the first step in addressing this problem.

“If we don’t recognize that 80 percent receivers are firearms under Pennsylvania law, we are creating a giant loophole that allows criminals to skirt our agreed-upon laws that keep people safe,” said Gov. Wolf. “Changing this classification will not hurt legal, responsible gun owners – This change will stop criminals, terrorists and other people who can’t pass a background check from acquiring a gun through the loophole.”

Following this legal opinion issuance, the Office of Attorney General and Pennsylvania State Police will now work together on an implementation strategy to ensure that these weapons do not end up in the hands of criminals, convicted felons or prohibited purchasers.

Law firm disagrees; Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro, in Violation of the Law, Classifies 80% Lowers as “Firearms”
What appears lost on AG Shapiro is the fact that only the General Assembly can write the law and that the General Assembly cannot delegate its authority, in the absence of providing a coherent framework that can be equally and consistently applied. W. Phila. Achievement Charter Elem. Sch. v. Sch. Dist. of Phila., 635 Pa. 127 (2016); Mary Ann Protz v. W.C.A.B. (Derry Area School District), 639 Pa. 645 (2017). Furthermore, when dealing with criminal statutes, or statutes having both criminal and civil applications, the rule of lenity requires that any ambiguity be resolved to the Defendant’s /Challenger’s benefit. United States v. Thompson/Ctr. Arms Co., 504 U.S. 505, 518 (1992).

Perhaps most interesting to some is the misleading title of the press release, as it suggests that AG Shapiro and Gov. Wolf conclude that “80% lowers are firearms”; yet, “80% lower” is not mentioned in the opinion. Of course, perhaps that’s the way AG. Shapiro and Gov. Wolf are directing the PSP to conclude 80% lowers are firearms, without specifically addressing it in the opinion. Only time will tell, but if the PSP does take a position that “80% lowers are firearms,” it will surely be challenged in the courts and the outcome is not likely to be favorable to the Commonwealth.

And here I am thinking after all these years that laws are to punish criminals, not keep the populace safe.

Probably wouldn't be that difficult to develop a 'black box' mill that could produce lowers from blank billet. Could be as easy as starting out with one square corner to locate off of and the rest simply rough cut. Press go...

These things are never good, overreach is treated very differently here in Pennsylvania. I’ve seen the courts defeat most of these dumb proposals and if Shapiro goes foreword it will have its day in court.

Google "lost PLA AR-15 receiver "
3D print a plastic receiver, dip in ceramic a bunch of times, fire ceramic to set ceramic and burn out the plastic, pour in melted beer cans. Or use it in sand casting. They now make filament designed just for this.

I'm sure you also could turn a block of aluminum into a receiver with one of those $400 cnc routers.

Just make 79% lowers then. Seems simple.

I'm going 72% just to be safe.

Coming soon in PA, "All my 80% receivers were lost in a tragic boating accident."

So it was a 125% boating accident?

Best in life - 80% firearms are NOT 80%. Or 79. Or 22. They are LESS THAN 80%! This is like the shoulder thing that goes up. WTF does it mean???

This won't sit well for a lot of people there. I believe Prince Law firm and FPC are already working on a suit.

But yeah, get your lowers now folks.

Probably wouldn't be that difficult to develop a 'black box' mill that could produce lowers from blank billet. Could be as easy as starting out with one square corner to locate off of and the rest simply rough cut. Press go...

5 axis CNC machines have been around for quite some time and could do them from a blank billet, but they are stupid expensive and require a fair bit of knowledge to operate/maintain. The trick would be to figure out a way to utilize something like a Ghost Gunner 3 axis machine to do 100% of the milling, which would be tricky due to the need to mill out 6 faces separately and have everything still line up. The spring slots for the takedown pins would be a bitch.

The better solution would be price dropping of metal sintering printers, but the market isn't currently large enough to warrant such price drops.

5 axis CNC machines have been around for quite some time and could do them from a blank billet, but they are stupid expensive and require a fair bit of knowledge to operate/maintain. The trick would be to figure out a way to utilize something like a Ghost Gunner 3 axis machine to do 100% of the milling, which would be tricky due to the need to mill out 6 faces separately and have everything still line up. The spring slots for the takedown pins would be a bitch.

The better solution would be price dropping of metal sintering printers, but the market isn't currently large enough to warrant such price drops.
Why can't a 3D printed AR lower work? They're also made from plastic today too, aren't they?

Last edited:
Why can't a 3D printed AR lower work? They're also made from plastic today too, aren't they?

Yeah, 3D printed lowers kind of work already now for AR pattern rifles, but with the caveat is that lifespan isn't expected to be anywhere near a metal lower. Plus, having intimate knowledge of 3D printing myself, I don't think I'm ready to trust common ABS/PLA/Nylon yet. The glass transition temps in relation to how hot a carbine can get scare me. And I'm not even talking about your entire gun melting. I'm talking about even the slightest heat warp causing pins to walk out. There are more exotic 3D print materials on the market like fiber infused thermoplastic, but I'd much rather just go metal.

Yeah, 3D printed lowers kind of work already now for AR pattern rifles, but with the caveat is that lifespan isn't expected to be anywhere near a metal lower. Plus, having intimate knowledge of 3D printing myself, I don't think I'm ready to trust common ABS/PLA/Nylon yet. The glass transition temps in relation to how hot a carbine can get scare me. And I'm not even talking about your entire gun melting. I'm talking about even the slightest heat warp causing pins to walk out. There are more exotic 3D print materials on the market like fiber infused thermoplastic, but I'd much rather just go metal.
Thanks! I'm betting there are new 3D materials which will be as good, or almost as good as metal being developed as we speak! It won't be too long before it's cheap and readily available for this and other purposes.

He’s learning from CT where 80% receivers were re-characterized as firearms last session.

Thanks! I'm betting there are new 3D materials which will be as good, or almost as good as metal being developed as we speak! It won't be too long before it's cheap and readily available for this and other purposes.

The problem isn't so much the materials with current thermoplastic 3D printing, it is that the common FDM printers (Fused Deposition Modeling) design concept is entirely contingent upon the glass transition point and extruding temperature of thermoplastic. That means that it relies on plastic melting at some point in order to print. ABS, which is one of the common materials, is printed at about 220-240C. Not that I shoot enough myself to experience this, but a glowing AR barrel is said to be north of 800C. The lower doesn't get that hot, but I'm sure a fair bit of that heat will transition to the lower. That causes changes to the molecular structure, which will go through phases of annealing, but eventually will either warp or become brittle. I'd imagine most shooters won't get their gun that hot, but at even a quarter of that temp, you're already hitting glass transition.

So unless some miracle thermoplastic comes out that somehow only melts enough to extrude once, or one that has a extrusion temp north of 300C, this will always remain a problem with 3D printed lowers. It is possible that commercially fabricated plastic lowers have higher tolerances though.

As a former machinist you hardly need a 5 axis machining center to make lowers.

I have an old school Bridgeport with a DRO and assure you I could make one.

Back
Top Bottom