OBSOLETE GUNS ( IF THERE IS SUCH A THOUGHT )

I don't know any that are completely "obsolete". For instance, would you prefer somebody answering their door holding a new micro 9 or a large caliber blunderbuss loaded with glass shards and scrape metal.

There are no obsolete guns, just obsolete calibers.

.455 Webley, alas, is one of them. Big slow bullet, big bloody impact. But you can resurrect those guns if you get a shaved example (likely) and reload .45 ACP or .45 AR. So it's not the gun that's obsolete.

Or maybe I don't get the point of the thread; that's always likely.
Just got one..1916 and you can still new 455 ammo.. its pricy $65 and up for 50 rounds but still available

I laugh at everyone who says the Shield is a piece of shit, it's honestly probably a gay trendy thing to say to be cool here or something.

I have had a Shield since 2013, Apex trigger install is all I've done with it and it's fired thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Are there better options or is it obsolete? Sure but only for mag size, I just picked up the Sig 365 XL to carry more rounds but for a carry gun and self defense the Shield is more than fine.

I laugh at everyone who says the Shield is a piece of shit, it's honestly probably a gay trendy thing to say to be cool here or something.

I have had a Shield since 2013, Apex trigger install is all I've done with it and it's fired thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Are there better options or is it obsolete? Sure but only for mag size, I just picked up the Sig 365 XL to carry more rounds but for a carry gun and self defense the Shield is more than fine.

The best thing about the hygeineproduct is that it's not a Bodyguard 380. 🤣

The Shield is a great carry gun for skinflints, and when they were selling them cheap a flint could afford two even. Most of the kvetching over these kinds of carry guns (and their capacity) is full retard mental masturbation. Like for example I've sold enough P365 whatevers to think that in a lot of cases it's an objectively better gun but dumping a G43 /x or a shield, similar to make an incremental upgrade is silly. But honestly most are better served by buying something they actually like, shooting the piss out of it and getting good with it and then at some point or another at least get a backup gun that's the same or similar. "Two is one and one is none" etc. What the gun is doesn't matter that much unless you're trash diving (example diamondback db9 etc lol).

Yeah, too rich for my blood. .455 is what got me into reloading, and I've got about a lifetime supply now for all my Webleys.

Is yours shaved or unshaved? Pics, or it didn't happen!View attachment 703726
Damn, you have a Webley for every day of the week.
Webley was my first "hate this thing" gun! Granted, I only shot one, with a 38lb trigger pull (exaggerating of course), but man, did I hate that gun, I remember thinking "Wow, the Brits used this thing forever" and feeling bad for the guys that had to carry them! LOL

This should be a fun way to get everyone crapping on each other in a big way but there may be some truth to what I'm putting down here.
Some or many of us enthusiasts have an almost insatiable appetite for new and exciting firearms to keep us happy and blazing away at the range.
This along with an industry that never stops reinventing itself has created in my opinion an abundance of OBSOLETE GUNS.
Again this is just my opinion but I am willing to bet I am not alone in this thought so what I will do is list a few below that fit this category in my mind and then maybe you all will jump in to add something or just to full on flame away as you wish.
Let the fun begin
Keep in mind I am as guilty as anyone else and own or have owned most of these guns.

1. Any Gen 1 or 2 shield now that the shield plus is out.
2. Glock 26 which is now replaced by at least 3 better options if not more, such as shield plus or Sig 365 or Springfield hellcat etc...etc....
3. HK anything Gen 1 or 2 because they are just way too big and still so stupid expensive for such a horrible trigger LOL

OK folks fire away.
The only 'obsolete' guns are ones in calibers that are no longer popular and cost too much to actually shoot. Then it becomes a conversation piece or a historical piece, not a shooter, which is what a gun is supposed to be. Otherwise, it's an art piece.

My Sig P225A1 is pretty obsolete. 8 round mags, size and weight just about the same as a P229. Will I sell it ever, nope lol.
I don't think you can really call it obsolete it would be a different story if it was something really dumb. Like say it fired 380 but was the same size. That would be comically stupid.

I don't think you can really call it obsolete it would be a different story if it was something really dumb. Like say it fired 380 but was the same size. That would be comically stupid.
380 isn't the worst. 25 or 32, during the 'retardance' of Covid/BLM, I was tasked with finding some 32 for my FIL. Had to come here and get help finding some. I bought the last 2 boxes some dealer I'd never heard of had for $50/box or more, I forget, it was a bad experience I don't wish to repeat.

380 isn't the worst. 25 or 32, during the 'retardance' of Covid/BLM, I was tasked with finding some 32 for my FIL. Had to come here and get help finding some. I bought the last 2 boxes some dealer I'd never heard of had for $50/box or more, I forget, it was a bad experience I don't wish to repeat.
It's not the 380 is that bad it's just that the idea of a 380 that's a large handgun is kinda stupid.

The Shield is a great carry gun for skinflints, and when they were selling them cheap a flint could afford two even. Most of the kvetching over these kinds of carry guns (and their capacity) is full retard mental masturbation. Like for example I've sold enough P365 whatevers to think that in a lot of cases it's an objectively better gun but dumping a G43 /x or a shield, similar to make an incremental upgrade is silly. But honestly most are better served by buying something they actually like, shooting the piss out of it and getting good with it and then at some point or another at least get a backup gun that's the same or similar. "Two is one and one is none" etc. What the gun is doesn't matter that much unless you're trash diving (example diamondback db9 etc lol).
I didn't fall under the skin flint category but most definitely a clueless first time gun buyer back in the day, I bought it at the deli ticket emporium and carried it since 2013, I didn't give a shit that it only carried 8 rounds even when I moved to NH I still carried it, I actually I thought I was being a skinflint by not buying a new carry piece since I was faithful to the Shield since 2013, I pretty much have everything I need so grabbed the 365 and to be honest I feel I shoot it better than my G19, definitely better than my Shield so it was a worthy purchase for that reason alone.

My post was specific to it being labeled a shitty gun because in my experience it's been nothing but dependable and it's built like a tank.

Single action revolvers, black powder, lever action carbines, octagonal barrels, and case bluing are all by definition obsolete because there's newer better technologies. IMHO no firearm made in the last 100 years is really obsolete. Except for anything in .40, which was obsolete (and also gay) the day it was invented.

I had a Shield that I sold with ~4,000 rounds through it; sold it to get a non-safety 2.0 that now has around ~3,000 rounds through it and is still my summer carry.

But really I just want to say what an honor it is to finally belong to the skinflint association!

I like the post that say's the 308 is going,
That just means my 303 British, The 7.62 X 54r and 45-70 Lever will be worth more.
And not obsolete by any means

Damn, you have a Webley for every day of the week.
Webley was my first "hate this thing" gun! Granted, I only shot one, with a 38lb trigger pull (exaggerating of course), but man, did I hate that gun, I remember thinking "Wow, the Brits used this thing forever" and feeling bad for the guys that had to carry them! LOL
They're gorgeous. They're beautifully engineered and built like tanks, from a time when men were MEN.

That said, I almost never shoot mine no more. Just... not enough time. :(

I didn't fall under the skin flint category but most definitely a clueless first time gun buyer back in the day, I bought it at the deli ticket emporium and carried it since 2013, I didn't give a shit that it only carried 8 rounds even when I moved to NH I still carried it, I actually I thought I was being a skinflint by not buying a new carry piece since I was faithful to the Shield since 2013, I pretty much have everything I need so grabbed the 365 and to be honest I feel I shoot it better than my G19, definitely better than my Shield so it was a worthy purchase for that reason alone.

My post was specific to it being labeled a shitty gun because in my experience it's been nothing but dependable and it's built like a tank.

Agreed. My second hand gen1 Shield has been practically flawless in the 5 years I've owned it. I did finally break the trigger spring, but I actually put that one on Apex (aftermarket). It has never failed during my ownership in firing other than this spring, so good design and materials. I now have a P365X, but I can't say the same for that gun. Issues left and right, which is why I still carry the Shield often between working out issues with the P365X.

Single action revolvers, black powder, lever action carbines, octagonal barrels, and case bluing are all by definition obsolete because there's newer better technologies. IMHO no firearm made in the last 100 years is really obsolete. Except for anything in .40, which was obsolete (and also gay) the day it was invented.
"Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid."
They're gorgeous. They're beautifully engineered and built like tanks, from a time when men were MEN.

That said, I almost never shoot mine no more. Just... not enough time. :(
Because is takes sooooo long to pull that 38# trigger? [smile]

Because is takes sooooo long to pull that 38# trigger? [smile]

...from a time when men were MEN.

Strengthen your finger. Then go fight for an Empire in some desert or jungle far from home. At least you'll know your round's going to stop the other fellow.

YMMV. If you want to complain about a Webley, you're welcome to try the Mk IV .38 on the far right. A more anemic revolver cartridge was never fielded by any army, but for you softy-finger types? It's tailor-made.

Agreed. My second hand gen1 Shield has been practically flawless in the 5 years I've owned it. I did finally break the trigger spring, but I actually put that one on Apex (aftermarket). It has never failed during my ownership in firing other than this spring, so good design and materials. I now have a P365X, but I can't say the same for that gun. Issues left and right, which is why I still carry the Shield often between working out issues with the P365X.
Interesting, I got the 365 XL and so far i havnt had any issues whatsoever but I did keep the Shield, it's stationed inside my truck indefinitely aa a back up.

It's not the 380 is that bad it's just that the idea of a 380 that's a large handgun is kinda stupid.
I'll give this a like only because it's true today given the small CCW focused 9mm options we have, but 30+ years ago the options for a cheap, small 9mm were uh... limited to say the least. Enter the .380 in something the size of a PPK and at the inflation adjusted price of a modern Taurus G-Spot series and you have something worthwhile there. IDK if Beretta is still making the 84, but Bersa is always going to make their Walther PP clones because they've been making them for decades and they're decent guns for the money. Ruger's Security whatever the fukk is definitely going to give the Bersa a run for its money in a non DA/SA package because modern retards don't know how to shoot a DA/SA.

Do you have a .38/200 (.38 S&W) Webley? How do they compare to the .455?
On the far right. They’re grouped in chronological order. I mentioned it in post 141.

There‘s no comparison. Obviously, I have to make some allowance for the subsequent Israeli service by the .38, but there’s a reason Webley made sure to mark these as WAR FINISH. All of the .455s are old-world craftsmanship, products from a well-run factory with proud employees.

By contrast, the .38 feels cheap and rattly. It still goes bang every time, but you can feel the difference in your hand. Other War Finish .38s I’ve handled are similar. None of them have a whole lot of recoil. They tried to match the balance with the round, and got it right. In the .38’s case, it helps that the cartridge is weak.

Mom was right. Whenever pointing out how ugly someone was, she would always say.." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
I have never cared for the giant flat head screws they all seem to have, or the grip design. Not to mention that the break barrel design is kinda stupid. If you have to fire multiple cylinders, that barrel must get hella hot. And to reload you grab the barrel? I know it was a huge leap forward from single action that you had to eject and load one round at a time, but...meh
But I understand your love of the Webley. My son tells me all of the time that my lever action rifles are obsolete, but I like them.

I've had this French Mle.1874 officer's revolver since the 1970s, but lately the type has become popular in movies, and the prices I see for them have soared! This despite 11mm ammo is impossible to find and the cartridge is incredibly weak.
View attachment 567958
Something like this is obsolete due to what’s mentioned above. I don’t think any gun that has ammunition readily available is obsolete.

I wanted a really cheap .25 Saturday night special kind of Jennings ring of fire gun just to have …. You can walk a whole gun show and find no .25 ammo… it’s a very hard bullet to find and IF you do find it it’s stupid espxibe to shoot for such a cheap obsolete gun… guns like this I consider obsolete as pretty much I can’t shoot it unless say I invest time and money in reloading .25 if that’s even possible… plus I could probably find a Saturday night special in .380 bypassing the .25 caliber problem.

Mom was right. Whenever pointing out how ugly someone was, she would always say.." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
I have never cared for the giant flat head screws they all seem to have, or the grip design. Not to mention that the break barrel design is kinda stupid. If you have to fire multiple cylinders, that barrel must get hella hot. And to reload you grab the barrel? I know it was a huge leap forward from single action that you had to eject and load one round at a time, but...meh
But I understand your love of the Webley. My son tells me all of the time that my lever action rifles are obsolete, but I like them.

The barrel never really gets that hot, but doctrinally they didn't really expect these to be fired in massive volume. Officers deploying for service in WWI were issued 12 rounds, which was expected to last them the entire war.

The break-barrel design is actually ingenious, once you factor in two things:

1. Ejection and extraction occur automatically and simultaneously. The whole chamber is clear in less than a second, and the shooter has access to the entire cylinder for reloading. Most users load two rounds at a time. It's very, very quick compared to anything but a speedloader (or clip) on a swing-out cylinder.

2. The Webley stirrup catch, compared to other breaktop designs, could withstand FAR greater chamber pressures than the older S&W-type design. .455 Webley is not a shrinking-violet round, though it is slow.

The Thompson-Lagarde tests included .455 Webley, and even though they were using it as more of a "control" than trying to assess whether they'd adopt it for the US Army, it performed very well against .45 ACP.

The big screw you're talking about was designed to be able to be turned using a coin for dismounting the cylinder (I think a 2-pence coin, though it might have been sized for a penny), hence the size. And Webley produced both birds-head and target grips, depending on what you ordered: remember, this was an era when officers bought their own pistols. The birds-head was much more popular at that time, for whatever reason. With the minimal recoil, I find it doesn't really matter which grip you use.

I don’t think any gun that has ammunition readily available is obsolete.
That is my feeling, but I'm old, so old (metal-framed) guns still hold a lot of appeal to me. :)
1. Any Gen 1 or 2 shield now that the shield plus is out.
Good point. I guess that applies to the some of the recent Ruger plastics as well.
2. Glock 26 which is now replaced by at least 3 better options if not more, such as shield plus or Sig 365 or Springfield hellcat etc...etc....
I had to laugh when I read this. I have always considered the Glock 26 to be a bit sub-optimum.
3. HK anything Gen 1 or 2 because they are just way too big and still so stupid expensive for such a horrible trigger LOL
Guess I need some educating on this one. Can anyone offer up an example?

The barrel never really gets that hot, but doctrinally they didn't really expect these to be fired in massive volume. Officers deploying for service in WWI were issued 12 rounds, which was expected to last them the entire war.

The break-barrel design is actually ingenious, once you factor in two things:

1. Ejection and extraction occur automatically and simultaneously. The whole chamber is clear in less than a second, and the shooter has access to the entire cylinder for reloading. Most users load two rounds at a time. It's very, very quick compared to anything but a speedloader (or clip) on a swing-out cylinder.

2. The Webley stirrup catch, compared to other breaktop designs, could withstand FAR greater chamber pressures than the older S&W-type design. .455 Webley is not a shrinking-violet round, though it is slow.

The Thompson-Lagarde tests included .455 Webley, and even though they were using it as more of a "control" than trying to assess whether they'd adopt it for the US Army, it performed very well against .45 ACP.

The big screw you're talking about was designed to be able to be turned using a coin for dismounting the cylinder (I think a 2-pence coin, though it might have been sized for a penny), hence the size. And Webley produced both birds-head and target grips, depending on what you ordered: remember, this was an era when officers bought their own pistols. The birds-head was much more popular at that time, for whatever reason. With the minimal recoil, I find it doesn't really matter which grip you use.
Wow! I didn't know half of that stuff about the Webley. Very cool.
I mean, I still think they are gay, but cool facts.

I do appreciate your admiration of the brand.

Back
Top Bottom