OBSOLETE GUNS ( IF THERE IS SUCH A THOUGHT )

The g@ys showed up.

I'm sure at one time everyone who kept tanks of kerosene in their homes to provide lighting called all the people who chose electricity gay. Ditto why would you want a faster, more powerful diesel locomotive when you can bust your ass shoveling coal into a furnace. Jet plane, bah. I'd rather spend two weeks on a passenger liner for business travel.

Times evolve broc. There is always something bigger and better coming along. For us in the performance handgun community the best, .40, is here and now. Soon the rifle community will catch on, and useless calibers like .308, 7.62, and 6.5 Crackmoor will disappear in favor of .40 topped rifle cartridges. There will always be 5.56 for women and cripples.

True perfection (not Glock perfection) is here broc. Embrace it.

ps. the cart always goes back to the corral after use.

The only really nice handgun of my dad's that my mother kept after he died was a S&W M&P in .32WCF (she kept his .22 revolver, all sorts of junk guns, sold his Luger, and lost track of his 1911 over the years). She gave it to me many years ago. Back in the day, it was a well regarded handgun cartridge but the .38 Spl ate its lunch and now it's effectively impossible to find ammo for it. I'd love to shoot it some day (stupidly, I never did when ammo was still reasonably available), but I'm not going to set myself up for reloading just to do a few boxes of a particular caliber solely for the nostalgia value.

This should be a fun way to get everyone crapping on each other in a big way but there may be some truth to what I'm putting down here.
Some or many of us enthusiasts have an almost insatiable appetite for new and exciting firearms to keep us happy and blazing away at the range.
This along with an industry that never stops reinventing itself has created in my opinion an abundance of OBSOLETE GUNS.
Again this is just my opinion but I am willing to bet I am not alone in this thought so what I will do is list a few below that fit this category in my mind and then maybe you all will jump in to add something or just to full on flame away as you wish.
Let the fun begin
Keep in mind I am as guilty as anyone else and own or have owned most of these guns.

1. Any Gen 1 or 2 shield now that the shield plus is out.
2. Glock 26 which is now replaced by at least 3 better options if not more, such as shield plus or Sig 365 or Springfield hellcat etc...etc....
3. HK anything Gen 1 or 2 because they are just way too big and still so stupid expensive for such a horrible trigger LOL

OK folks fire away.
This post is dumb.
No gun is obsolete until it can no longer go bang and becomes a brick.
Shoot what you like and shoot well, and don't be that bitch that has to buy the new dangle fangle annually.

The only really nice handgun of my dad's that my mother kept after he died was a S&W M&P in .32WCF (she kept his .22 revolver, all sorts of junk guns, sold his Luger, and lost track of his 1911 over the years). She gave it to me many years ago. Back in the day, it was a well regarded handgun cartridge but now, it's effectively impossible to find ammo for it. I'd love to shoot it some day (stupidly, I never did when ammo was still reasonably available), but I'm not going to set myself up for reloading just to do a few boxes of a particular caliber solely for the nostalgia value.
you could probably contract with a hand loader here on NES to rip you out some batches if you supply the dies and raw materials

This post is dumb.
No gun is obsolete until it can no longer go bang and becomes a brick.
Shoot what you like and shoot well, and don't be that bitch that has to buy the new dangle fangle annually.

and even then, a 92 or 1911 is heavy enough to fall into the brick category so it can double as a thrown weapon or hammer. Now that's planning.

My HK USP 9mm "obsolete" pistol got me through a class that saw a Glock 17 and a Sig P320 have failures. My gen 1 shields go bang every time too.
JHC, now I 've heard it all.
God, dam HK fanboys at it again..

Next thing one of you guys will say is the AR-15 never needs cleaning and that you should always store your guns dirty so you know that they still operate.

A Glock, in God mode never fails!
Shields all suck, specially in 40. Because everyone says so and that is enough for the pleebs.

PS: Just because the military doesn't teach their soldiers to clean a magazine. Doesn't mean they don't get dirty..

All the above is just a joke.[smile]
Except some failures are because people never clean their mags!

Last edited:
Though I will gladly admit that one of my favorite guns that I own is a Colt series 70 1911.

I would submit that as long as a gun is safe to shoot and you can still get ammo for it (in decent quantiles) that it's not really "obsolete". Features come and go but I like simplicity hence my love for my 1911.

I once had a Walther PP Super pistol. It used 9mm Ultra ammo, almost impossible to get. It was a great pistol but obsoleted (to me) because I couldn't get ammo for it. I ended up selling it to a friend.

"When something works, you stick with it"

MV5BMTdhMDU0ZWUtNmVlZC00Y2EzLTk2MDctODEzNjA1Nzc2ZGU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_UY180_CR30,0,180,180_AL_.jpg
My millenial nephew practices regularly with his Sig P365. Seldom does he shoot my Sig 938, but when he does the soon to follow comment is always the same,which is, i shoot the 938 better.
My thought is that while the P365 holds a bit more ammo, if it ain't broke,why fix it.

Though I will gladly admit that one of my favorite guns that I own is a Colt series 70 1911.

I would submit that as long as a gun is safe to shoot and you can still get ammo for it (in decent quantiles) that it's not really "obsolete". Features come and go but I like simplicity hence my love for my 1911.

I once had a Walther PP Super pistol. It used 9mm Ultra ammo, almost impossible to get. It was a great pistol but obsoleted (to me) because I couldn't get ammo for it. I ended up selling it to a friend.

Oh I love my 1911. I also carry revolvers. But both are very outdated. I just simply like em anyways.

I've got a Ruger SR9c that Ruger made obsolete with their Ruger American Pistols and then the new Security 9 or whatever it's called, but the sr9c works every time too.

My millenial nephew practices regularly with his Sig P365. Seldom does he shoot my Sig 938, but when he does the soon to follow comment is always the same,which is, i shoot the 938 better.
My thought is that while the P365 holds a bit more ammo, if it ain't broke,why fix it.
Exactly. More ammo won't do sh*t if you can't shoot it.

you could probably contract with a hand loader here on NES to rip you out some batches if you supply the dies and raw materials
I did think about it, but getting the brass is likely as big an issue as ammo itself.

1642952956814.png

There are no obsolete guns, only obsolete tactics. You want to stack motherf***ers with an 1842 Springfield smoothbore, be my guest.

Just don't stand out in the open to do it. Drop a fool from your concealed position, move, and keep your hand on your backup.

The only really nice handgun of my dad's that my mother kept after he died was a S&W M&P in .32WCF (she kept his .22 revolver, all sorts of junk guns, sold his Luger, and lost track of his 1911 over the years). She gave it to me many years ago. Back in the day, it was a well regarded handgun cartridge but the .38 Spl ate its lunch and now it's effectively impossible to find ammo for it. I'd love to shoot it some day (stupidly, I never did when ammo was still reasonably available), but I'm not going to set myself up for reloading just to do a few boxes of a particular caliber solely for the nostalgia value.
Sure you don't mean .32 S&W Short, or .32 S&W Long / .32 Colt New Police (same round, except for bullet weight/profile)?

Sure you don't mean .32 S&W Short, or .32 S&W Long / .32 Colt New Police (same round, except for bullet weight/profile)?
Nope, .32 WCF, AKA the .32-20, a late 19th century rifle round. There were some handguns made for it, but there seems to be some qualifications about modern rifle-level rounds in older handguns. The round is bottlenecked, so while a .32 S&W long will go into the cylinder, it will be a loose fit.

I believe Starline makes brass for it.
Their website is out of stock of almost everything, but check gunbroker and other sites.
Yeah, I looked at Starline quite a bit. It's in their catalog, but doesn't seem to be something they're actively using machine time for.

Yeah, I looked at Starline quite a bit. It's in their catalog, but doesn't seem to be something they're actively using machine time for.
Forget about their website. They also want a copy of your LTC (if you live in MA) if you buy from them direct.

Have to buy it from reseller online. I recently bought 200 .460 and 200 45/70 pieces of Starline brass, their website is still out of stock.

I have a Flobert and also a Chicago Palm Pistol. The PP is a .32 rimfire extra short. If you were hit directly in the forehead it would smart like the dickens.

I think both could be considered obsolete.

For anyone that read this before I fixed the typos:

DUCK AUTOCORRECT
Those old rimfire calibers for sure are obsolete. Is there any sort of specialty source for them, or are the guns all wall hangers now?

Forget about their website. They also want a copy of your LTC (if you live in MA) if you buy from them direct.

Have to buy it from reseller online. I recently bought 200 .460 and 200 45/70 pieces of Starline brass, their website is still out of stock.
Damned if Gunbroker doesn't have both the ammo ($170 for 150 rounds!!) and the brass. Thanks !

EDIT WITH CORRECTION: No, they have the ammo for $170 for 50 rounds ! HFS !!! And the brass is currently at $75 for 50 cases. I'm apparently not the only one looking for it.

Damned if Gunbroker doesn't have both the ammo ($170 for 150 rounds!!) and the brass. Thanks !

EDIT WITH CORRECTION: No, they have the ammo for $170 for 50 rounds ! HFS !!!
You need to reload for that.

Those old rimfire calibers for sure are obsolete. Is there any sort of specialty source for them, or are the guns all wall hangers now?
A kindly NES member, since deceased, made some of the .32 for me by cutting down some rimfire blanks and casting ball to top them with. THAT was amazing to shoot. The Flobert, I could probably still find ammo for. Someday

Whenever I consider a new gun, whether the cartridge is considered obsolete or not, but especially if it is, I scout out the reloading situation, projectiles, brass, dies. I considered getting into reloading of .32-20 a few years ago, and .375 Win before that, all because of some Winchester rifle or other on the shelf at B&K at the time. Passed on them all. I can't remember if .32-20 brass was available from Starline at the time. I want to say it was backorder-able back then. Doesn't seem to be now. Bummer.

.40 smith wesson only made in 90s, 9mm lugar made in early 1900s. Yeah O.K. Right Tell Me thats Obsolete I bet 9millameter is Older then any1 here

Back
Top Bottom