OBSOLETE GUNS ( IF THERE IS SUCH A THOUGHT )

All shields are sh*t.

That being said ... why would a gen 1 or 2 be obsolete?

Until last week I was still carrying a PPS M1. It still shoots fine, shoots all modern ammo and can kill someone. What is so obsolete about it?

What you are trying to describe is not obsolete.
Shield 1 - Still viable! PPS, not so much. Painful to shoot with that crappy checkering, and you can't put a sleeve on it since you have to take the backstrap off of it to disassemble. That is so backward! (Tried the PPS before the Shield was available. No likey!)

I suppose it could be argued that any handgun with a hammer is now an older design, but I still prefer a hammer.
I guess lever action rifles are obsolete when you consider what's available in semi auto, but I still love lever guns. They are just fun to shoot.
Wheel guns for sure, with their limited capacity, but they make me smile. Especially in magnum calibers. I love the boom of 44 magnum.
M1 Garands. Iconic and still not something you want leveled in your direction!

I suppose most of my favorite firearms could be considered "obsolete". But I still wouldn't want a 1903 Springfield pointed at me.

I have a Flobert and also a Chicago Palm Pistol. The PP is a .32 rimfire extra short. If you were hit directly in the forehead it would smart like the dickens.

I think both could be considered obsolete.

For anyone that read this before I fixed the typos:

DUCK AUTOCORRECT

Last edited:
I've had this French Mle.1874 officer's revolver since the 1970s, but lately the type has become popular in movies, and the prices I see for them have soared! This despite 11mm ammo is impossible to find and the cartridge is incredibly weak.
View attachment 567958
There's one of those kicking around here someplace too. Also a French carbine of some sort, but it doesn't have a firing pin. I kid you not.

I suppose it could be argued that any handgun with a hammer is now an older design, but I still prefer a hammer.
The Shield EZs are hammer-fired because it makes them easier to rack. That answers a genuine need for an otherwise underserved audience. Hammers remain relevant.

I think levers are about as relevant as pump shotguns to brush hunters who want something light and handy...especially in states with (admittedly, artificial) limits on semiautos

the word 'obsolete' does not apply here at all. it is still a gun if it can fire.
whether you want to own it or not has little to do with its efficiency.
the most efficient gun is a nuke - but it did not make everything else obsolete.

Micro .380s since the advent of Micro 9s (P365, Hellcat, Shield Plus, 43X, etc.).
Micro .380s are good for people who can't handle the recoil of 9mm in a micro 9. The G26 could be said to be obsolete compared to the 43X, 365, etc.

You'll be glad to have a couple of flintlocks after the EMP shuts down all the smokeless powder and primer factories.

Micro .380s are good for people who can't handle the recoil of 9mm in a micro 9. The G26 could be said to be obsolete compared to the 43X, 365, etc.

You'll be glad to have a couple of flintlocks after the EMP shuts down all the smokeless powder and primer factories.
Dude if the world ends and i live long enough to burn through my ammo stockpile... I'll consider that a win

the word 'obsolete' does not apply here at all. it is still a gun if it can fire.
whether you want to own it or not has little to do with its efficiency.
the most efficient gun is a nuke - but it did not make everything else obsolete.
10mm>>>nuke>>>>titanium rods shot from orbit>>>florbor parlor rifle

This.

I’ll put my flame suit on and say black powder anything, from the standpoint that objectively smokeless powder and sealed cartridges are better. Similar thought to any corrosive ammo.

I think we can all appreciate the place that black powder has for hunting, or just fun, same with military surplus ammo, but it could be argued they’re both “obsolete”.
Black powder isn't obsolete in MA for deer hunters. It's half the f'ing firearm season in this damn place.

Shield 1 - Still viable! PPS, not so much. Painful to shoot with that crappy checkering, and you can't put a sleeve on it since you have to take the backstrap off of it to disassemble. That is so backward! (Tried the PPS before the Shield was available. No likey!)
8 or 9 thousand rounds through my Shield gen1 and I've never had a single issue and I've no complaints. It does the job it's supposed to do. Not sure why the hate

Back
Top Bottom