OBSOLETE GUNS ( IF THERE IS SUCH A THOUGHT )

BONESTOCK

NES Member
This should be a fun way to get everyone crapping on each other in a big way but there may be some truth to what I'm putting down here.
Some or many of us enthusiasts have an almost insatiable appetite for new and exciting firearms to keep us happy and blazing away at the range.
This along with an industry that never stops reinventing itself has created in my opinion an abundance of OBSOLETE GUNS.
Again this is just my opinion but I am willing to bet I am not alone in this thought so what I will do is list a few below that fit this category in my mind and then maybe you all will jump in to add something or just to full on flame away as you wish.
Let the fun begin
Keep in mind I am as guilty as anyone else and own or have owned most of these guns.

1. Any Gen 1 or 2 shield now that the shield plus is out.
2. Glock 26 which is now replaced by at least 3 better options if not more, such as shield plus or Sig 365 or Springfield hellcat etc...etc....
3. HK anything Gen 1 or 2 because they are just way too big and still so stupid expensive for such a horrible trigger LOL

OK folks fire away.

Not sure obsolete is quite the right word, but maybe "overlap?"

On the one hand, I don't mind when I'm not hurting for choices.

On the other hand...if that money went into a much more development than 5 different varieties of grip....that'd be nice to see too.

"2. Glock 26 which is now replaced by at least 3 better options if not more, such as shield plus or Sig 365 or Springfield hellcat etc...etc...." - One argument to this is if you want to buy a Glock. Then those other options are irrelevant.

This should be a fun way to get everyone crapping on each other in a big way but there may be some truth to what I'm putting down here.
Some or many of us enthusiasts have an almost insatiable appetite for new and exciting firearms to keep us happy and blazing away at the range.
This along with an industry that never stops reinventing itself has created in my opinion an abundance of OBSOLETE GUNS.
Again this is just my opinion but I am willing to bet I am not alone in this thought so what I will do is list a few below that fit this category in my mind and then maybe you all will jump in to add something or just to full on flame away as you wish.
Let the fun begin
Keep in mind I am as guilty as anyone else and own or have owned most of these guns.

2. Glock 26 which is now replaced by at least 3 better options if not more, such as shield plus or Sig 365 or Springfield hellcat etc...etc....
3. HK anything Gen 1 or 2 because they are just way too big and still so stupid expensive for such a horrible trigger LOL

OK folks fire away.
All shields are sh*t.

That being said ... why would a gen 1 or 2 be obsolete?

Until last week I was still carrying a PPS M1. It still shoots fine, shoots all modern ammo and can kill someone. What is so obsolete about it?

What you are trying to describe is not obsolete.

Not sure obsolete is quite the right word, but maybe "overlap?"

On the one hand, I don't mind when I'm not hurting for choices.

On the other hand...if that money went into a much more development than 5 different varieties of grip....that'd be nice to see too.

"2. Glock 26 which is now replaced by at least 3 better options if not more, such as shield plus or Sig 365 or Springfield hellcat etc...etc...." - One argument to this is if you want to buy a Glock. Then those other options are irrelevant.
Very true if your heart is set on a certain brand then this is largely irrelevant

All shields are sh*t.

That being said ... why would a gen 1 or 2 be obsolete?

Until last week I was still carrying a PPS M1. It still shoots fine, shoots all modern ammo and can kill someone. What is so obsolete about it?

What you are trying to describe is not obsolete.
That all makes sense, but now they have a few newer features and higher capacity so along those lines the older one became obsoleted in my mind.

Let the fun begin

OK folks fire away.
Geez I thought obsolete would mean so f***ing old theres no parts or ammo available
Heck im still loving my S&W Gen 1 semi auto pistols.

Geez I thought obsolete would mean so f***ing old theres no parts or ammo available
Heck im still loving my S&W Gen 1 semi auto pistols.
I do still have lots of older guns that I love but compared to the new stuff with slides cut for mounting RMRs and cool grip textures and new serrations on the slides and frames the old stuff just isn't the same.
Trust me I don't believe for a minute that every new gadget is automatically a good one.

That all makes sense, but now they have a few newer features and higher capacity so along those lines the older one became obsoleted in my mind.
Only if those are features you care about, though. A lot of it is likely marketing.

Case in point, went by my local shop a few days ago, saw the new Steyr 9mm pistol is out. I have two of the old model. New one has interchangeable grips, and a few other bells and whistles. Does nothing for me. The improvements it might make to my enjoyment or shooting are not enough to relinquish my current pistols which function just fine.

I don't feel my 2011 4Runner is obsolete because it doesn't have sat navigation. Toyota is happy to point out how obsolete it is, though, and how I "need" a new one.

Only if those are features you care about, though. A lot of it is likely marketing.

Case in point, went by my local shop a few days ago, saw the new Steyr 9mm pistol is out. I have two of the old model. New one has interchangeable grips, and a few other bells and whistles. Does nothing for me. The improvements it might make to my enjoyment or shooting are not enough to relinquish my current pistols which function just fine.

I don't feel my 2011 4Runner is obsolete because it doesn't have sat navigation. Toyota is happy to point out how obsolete it is, though, and how I "need" a new one.
Very well said

The very nature of cheap, throw-away, injection-molded plastic handguns is that yesterday's plastic is passé today, boring tomorrow and obsolete (in the "out-of-date" sense of the word) by next week. [thinking]

There are no obsolete guns, just obsolete calibers.

.455 Webley, alas, is one of them. Big slow bullet, big bloody impact. But you can resurrect those guns if you get a shaved example (likely) and reload .45 ACP or .45 AR. So it's not the gun that's obsolete.

Or maybe I don't get the point of the thread; that's always likely.

.455 Webley, alas, is one of them. Big slow bullet, big bloody impact. But you can resurrect those guns if you get a shaved example (likely) and reload .45 ACP or .45 AR. So it's not the gun that's obsolete.

Or maybe I don't get the point of the thread; that's always likely.
Honestly my main point was to just get people thinking and talking so you are right on the money.

This.

I’ll put my flame suit on and say black powder anything, from the standpoint that objectively smokeless powder and sealed cartridges are better. Similar thought to any corrosive ammo.

I think we can all appreciate the place that black powder has for hunting, or just fun, same with military surplus ammo, but it could be argued they’re both “obsolete”.

Geeze, you guys are still shooting guns that fire bullets...
Get with the times man![smile]
I'm still waiting for my local shop to carry a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

On the plus side, you can mount a laser to just about anything these days. So that's cool. [thumbsup]

"When something works, you stick with it"

MV5BMTdhMDU0ZWUtNmVlZC00Y2EzLTk2MDctODEzNjA1Nzc2ZGU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_UY180_CR30,0,180,180_AL_.jpg

Obsolete for their original primary function maybe or the tactics they were designed around. Like a rolling block rifle as a practical military armament. Even some WW1 rifles are still plenty useful in combat if not overly long to the point of being cumbersome (don't need such a long rifle to make a spear with a bayonet since no one is fighting cavalry anymore).

For example a squad using SMLE's with the right tactics could ruin the day of a modern infantry squad if proper tactics were used to maximize the strengths of those rifles vs. modern arms while minimizing the weaknesses. (avoid allowing opponents to use fire & maneuver tactics with suppressive fire where individual automatic weapons would prevail and prevent engagements at less than 300m)

The gun industry has overplayed their hands on the compact/micro compact 9mm small carry gun market. Even in the pistol market in general. Eventually there will be a shakeout of the best....and some will go or are already going obsolete. The best ideas will stay. Some people will realize that small guns suck to carry and but thats a learning curve.

It all depends if this gun thing flattens out after a while.......I think its already happening. Sure, still some things tough to find like certain 1911's and Lever actions, O/U shotguns........but that's not gonna last forever either. That's only because they can't pump them out like tupperware guns.

Back
Top Bottom