OBSOLETE GUNS ( IF THERE IS SUCH A THOUGHT )

You can make a very good case for .45 GAP and .357 SIG being obsolete calibers. I get that they have their partisans, but 99.9% of the gun-buying public wants nothing to do with them.
I'm late to the party, but this thread reminded me - when I took my pistol instructor class, one of the other students was an Air Marshal (IIRC). He shot the qual with his 357Sig 1911. Per these new NES rules, that may be obsolete^2

I'm late to the party, but this thread reminded me - when I took my pistol instructor class, one of the other students was an Air Marshal (IIRC). He shot the qual with his 357Sig 1911. Per these new NES rules, that may be obsolete^2

Interesting, the only other real world .357 sig user I’ve come across was also an Air Marshal. Maybe it’s an Air Marshal thing?

Both are old or communist junk. Why would I want a grandpa 7-8 shot hand cannon when I can have anywhere from 13-28 rds of a modern and relevant caliber like .40 SW in a modern and relevant gun like a Glock 22 or 23? .40 has more energy than .45 SAF till like 95 yards. If one uses mathematical reasoning, they'd much rather a G22 .40 over a 1911 if they're going to be acting in self defense with the attacker at that distance.

Plus, I can get a Glock 22 LE trade in for $350 USD (Trade in so it's used AKA VERIFIED THAT IT WORKS) vs the minimum price for a reliable 1911 which is usually $3500+ USD

iu

This is decent trolling, but it's too obvious. You're really smart, but I want you to figure out how to make me wonder if you're retarded or not. Then youre trolling will be perfect.

The regular shield is striker fired. My understanding is that the ez uses an inverted hammer inside the slide. I haven't taken one down to see if it's cock on close, though that wouldn't surprise me.
You're actually right. The "hammer" is integrated in the trigger assembly. It's between 15-20mins in:

View: https://youtu.be/sGWndzZkJfg

I get that you are in MA so a 43X is not a realistic price purchase, but the 43X made a lot of 26's safe queens

The size difference between a 19 26 and 43X is negligible, I get the weight makes the difference

IMHO where the 43X beats the 26 is on the grip size...
I don't like skinny grips. Tried the 43X, too skinny. I'd have to beef it up with a Hogue over grip to feel comfy.
I shoot the 19 and 17 better, but again, 10 rounds in MA (if you get in a legal bind it may help), and weight is greater with the 19 and 17. Also, I AIWB during the summer. So that made the 26 with a pinky extension my go to.

I think if you had to run frangible ammo you'd want as much velocity as possible.

iirc the original duty load was 357 sig 125gr gdhp. I think the idea was they wanted to have a bullet that didn't deflect off intermediate barriers like seats, etc.

I don't think anyone sane would use frange for anything but practice.

iirc the original duty load was 357 sig 125gr gdhp. I think the idea was they wanted to have a bullet that didn't deflect off intermediate barriers like seats, etc.

I don't think anyone sane would use frange for anything but practice.

i heard they use frangi, could be wrong. makes a good defensive round if you're worried about over penetration.

Interesting, I got the 365 XL and so far i havnt had any issues whatsoever but I did keep the Shield, it's stationed inside my truck indefinitely aa a back up.

Some of mine are self-inflicted with an aftermarket slide that's been giving me trouble. The base gun was pretty solid. I don't know if I can blame Sig for this. On one hand, I replaced the factory slide. On the other, the new slide is a factory Sig (with red dot cut).

I laugh at everyone who says the Shield is a piece of shit, it's honestly probably a gay trendy thing to say to be cool here or something.

I have had a Shield since 2013, Apex trigger install is all I've done with it and it's fired thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Are there better options or is it obsolete? Sure but only for mag size, I just picked up the Sig 365 XL to carry more rounds but for a carry gun and self defense the Shield is more than fine.
No, the Shield is a piece of sh*t.

I laugh at everyone who says the Shield is a piece of shit, it's honestly probably a gay trendy thing to say to be cool here or something.

I have had a Shield since 2013, Apex trigger install is all I've done with it and it's fired thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Are there better options or is it obsolete? Sure but only for mag size, I just picked up the Sig 365 XL to carry more rounds but for a carry gun and self defense the Shield is more than fine.
If you have to buy a gun and change parts out of it... well... piece of shit was probably a good description.

If you have to buy a gun and change parts out of it... well... piece of shit was probably a good description.

The only polymer guns i haven't modded were my hk p2000 and my CZ P10s. Every Glock i have has had the connector replaced at a bare minimum.

The real problem with the shields was not so much that stuff but sometimes the QC was bad on those guns and you would get like pins and stuff walking out of the guns but that's typical Smith BS...... I would not be shocked if @SHOCKNAWE got a gun that was halfway decent and got lucky.

Oh please, every AR I've ever bought I have switched out parts on it and made it better. I'm talking Daniel Defense, Colt and BCM.

Last edited:
The only polymer guns i haven't modded were my hk p2000 and my CZ P10s. Every Glock i have has had the connector replaced at a bare minimum.

The real problem with the shields was not so much that stuff but sometimes the QC was bad on those guns and you would get like pins and stuff walking out of the guns but that's typical Smith BS...... I would not be shocked if @SHOCKNAWE got a gun that was halfway decent and got lucky.
To be fair your probably right then, it literally went bang for thousands of rounds for me without any hiccups, I mean I wouldn't put it up against the 365 or 43 overall probably but it served me well.

I haven't kept up on the community of Shield owners either so if there were QC issues I just didn't read up on it but if guys are bashing it then there must be more to it then gay trendy agendas lol

To be fair your probably right then, it literally went bang for thousands of rounds for me without any hiccups, I mean I wouldn't put it up against the 365 or 43 overall probably but it served me well.

I haven't kept up on the community of Shield owners either so if there were QC issues I just didn't read up on it but if guys are bashing it then there must be more to it then gay trendy agendas lol

It's because S&Ws QC sucks (odds of getting a broken gun out of box are not close to zero) and other stuff, like the fact that a lot of those guns need a goddam jackhammer to remove the rear sights etc. [laugh] The rubber band trigger doesnt help either. On the other hand what do people expect for a mass produced cheap gun? I think they were blowing them out at $299 at one point.

I think the ShieldPlus whatever its called now is probably a half decent gun with a better trigger design, but by the time S&W released it they had basically missed the bus.

It's because S&Ws QC sucks (odds of getting a broken gun out of box are not close to zero) and other stuff, like the fact that a lot of those guns need a goddam jackhammer to remove the rear sights etc. [laugh] The rubber band trigger doesnt help either. On the other hand what do people expect for a mass produced cheap gun? I think they were blowing them out at $299 at one point.

I think the ShieldPlus whatever its called now is probably a half decent gun with a better trigger design, but by the time S&W released it they had basically missed the bus.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaUNPpgHacM

Results surprised me

There are no obsolete guns, just obsolete calibers.

.455 Webley, alas, is one of them. Big slow bullet, big bloody impact. But you can resurrect those guns if you get a shaved example (likely) and reload .45 ACP or .45 AR. So it's not the gun that's obsolete.

Or maybe I don't get the point of the thread; that's always likely.
The 455 cylinder was not made for the 45 acp. There is new 455 ammo being made by FIOCCHI

Back
Top Bottom