• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not a fun day with new machine gun, PS wear your safety glasses

Damn! One of those situations where the giggle switch ain't so funny.
I had a squib from a Portuguese surplus 7.62 NATO round on the first range trip with my CMP special grade Garand (yes the rifle is .308 chambered obviously). Luckily the bullet only went so far into the barrel as to block the following round from going into battery. I hadn't even noticed it was a "pop" and not just a click as I worked the action thinking it was a misfeed. Not even when the squib's empty case fell out did I fully understand what had happened.
You live (so far in our cases!) and learn ;)

So another update on the Galil. I found a friend that has a Go, No Go and Field Gauge for 5.56. I tried all 3 on the gun and it closed on every one of them. So it looks like the gun has excessive head space. Witch make sense why the bullet got stuck in the barrel and the back end of the casing was blown out. So it looks like I need another barrel for it and need to find someone to put in on the gun. The fun never ends

Glad your ok
In hind sight , dont keep jamming on a bolt trying to chamber a round.
Stop and see why
I see shooters jamming the Forward Assist on ARs at the range
Not good.

Glad to see you're ok. BTW, what was the ammo that caused the squib load / Eff'd up bolt? I think at this point, clean up the Re-Weld, get the gun running and sell it. I don't think I'd be shooting it any more, but that's me. I've never had anything like that happen to any of my MGs and probably would let that one go, as the receiver looks a little rough. There's a lotta garbage guns out there, built by some hacks who wanted to make a fast buck.
Again, Glad you're ok, but I'm sure you have a skid mark in your shorts from it.

Glad you are OK. Get rid of that garbage ammo, or if you don't you should warn others with "take cover, fire in the hole!" Only slightly kidding...

When I was a kid, a long time ago, I saw an M16A2 go kaboom when we were at 29 Palms. The Private that was shooting it did have some pretty significant damage to his trigger hand. To be honest, I never found out what happened officially, but there was a lot of conjecture.
The A2 fired the dreaded 3 round burst, and everyone had turned and looked with a "gee, that sounded funny" look on their face, just in time to see the kid jumping around, holding his hand. The usual "ting ting ting" turned into "TONG TONG Kaboom"
We all assumed it was bad ammo, and it was a real wake up call.

I dont where PJs and I work on my guns late before going to bed
Often sitting comfortably on the rug….
I think that is called berber commando.

Glad you are OK. Get rid of that garbage ammo, or if you don't you should warn others with "take cover, fire in the hole!" Only slightly kidding...
I dont think it was the ammos fault. It had excessive headspace so most of the power from the roun went out the back and didn't have enough power to push the bullet out the barrel.
Glad to see you're ok. BTW, what was the ammo that caused the squib load / Eff'd up bolt? I think at this point, clean up the Re-Weld, get the gun running and sell it. I don't think I'd be shooting it any more, but that's me. I've never had anything like that happen to any of my MGs and probably would let that one go, as the receiver looks a little rough. There's a lotta garbage guns out there, built by some hacks who wanted to make a fast buck.
Again, Glad you're ok, but I'm sure you have a skid mark in your shorts from it.
I'm going to see if a gunsmith can rebarrel it. I believe that is the cause of the problem. If that fixes it than it should be good to go

No big deal, it’s the name of the game.

Sorry it happened but it can be frustrating. Especially if you don’t have a lot of rounds through it.

That’s why I always liked my reloads. The absolute minimum force it takes the cycle is what I use so you can’t really explode it but you sure can wear out parts with enough ammo.

It’s only a post sample

Back
Top Bottom