• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not a fun day with new machine gun, PS wear your safety glasses

I got this new post sample Galil ARM machine gun a few weeks ago from a place that was giving up their FFL/SOT

20231011_133445 (1).jpg

It's a reweld from a parts kit. I was excited when I got it. I took it apart to look it over and lube it up. I took it to the range with a few different brands of 5.56 to see if it was ammo picky or not. I loaded 20 rounds a fired a few semi auto shots. Then went to full auto and it shot good. Loaded up another brand of ammo, it fired one shot and then wouldn't chamber the next one, so I though that it just didn't like that ammo so I loaded up another brand of ammo and got it to chamber after a few tries. At that point I had forgotten to put back on my glasses. I fired the gun and immediately got a face full of gasses and other crap. I was lucky that the gun directed most of the gasses and crap down through the mag and didn't blow all of it into my face. The mag didn't fair to good.

20231020_171427.jpg

After the initial shock of what just happened I tried to open the bolt to see what happened but I couldn't because the bolt came out of it's track and wouldn't move at all.

20231012_163522.jpg

20231012_163535.jpg

Also the safety had come out and the pins for the hammer and trigger had come loose too and where close to falling out. The tube that the piston goes in broke the ears off that slide in the groove in the receiver so I have to get another one of those. The top cover got a little bent, but I think I massage it back into shape again. I tried to get the bolt carrier to move with a hammer but it wouldn't move at all. I put the gun aside for a few days to try and figure out what to do and ask some people what their solution was. They said that a hammer need to be use to get it to move. I was trying to be gentle so I didn't brake anything. I tired again whit the hammer that I had been using and it still didn't work. So I went and got a bigger hammer and that started to work, I guess being gentle wasn't the way. I finally got the bolt carrier out and the bolt was left stuck in the gun.

20231020_162707.jpg

I had to take a hammer and punch to get the bolt to rotate to unlock it to remove it. here is what I found when I got it out.

20231020_162828.jpg

So it looks like the ass end of the casing blew out the back. After a little investigating I found out that the barrel was obstructed. The 21st shot, the bullet didn't exit the barrel. So the 22nd shot the bullet couldn't go out the barrel and the gasses didn't have anywhere to but out the back of the gun and into my face and out the mag. So now I have to find a broken case extractor to get the brass case out and figure out the best way to get the bullets out of the barrel. Do I pound them out from the barrel end or do I start from he chamber end? i have heard the machine guns are fun and if you have enough of them one or more is always in a constant state of being broken and being fixed. I have found out that is true.

The surprise MG squib load. That's the nightmare scenario that no one can stop you just hope it doesn't happen. Glad you're okay and all your parts are still in place
I had it happen on the Cobray M11 I have. It's an open bolt, blow back sub machine gun so all that happened was it blew all the stuff out the ejection port. No brass in the chamber, I pounded out the stuck bullets and kept on shooting. The guns that aren't blow back are scarier because the bolt isn't free to just blow back and it's a little more violent.

I got this new post sample Galil ARM machine gun a few weeks ago from a place that was giving up their FFL/SOT

View attachment 808237

It's a reweld from a parts kit. I was excited when I got it. I took it apart to look it over and lube it up. I took it to the range with a few different brands of 5.56 to see if it was ammo picky or not. I loaded 20 rounds a fired a few semi auto shots. Then went to full auto and it shot good. Loaded up another brand of ammo, it fired one shot and then wouldn't chamber the next one, so I though that it just didn't like that ammo so I loaded up another brand of ammo and got it to chamber after a few tries. At that point I had forgotten to put back on my glasses. I fired the gun and immediately got a face full of gasses and other crap. I was lucky that the gun directed most of the gasses and crap down through the mag and didn't blow all of it into my face. The mag didn't fair to good.

View attachment 808241

After the initial shock of what just happened I tried to open the bolt to see what happened but I couldn't because the bolt came out of it's track and wouldn't move at all.

View attachment 808245

View attachment 808246

Also the safety had come out and the pins for the hammer and trigger had come loose too and where close to falling out. The tube that the piston goes in broke the ears off that slide in the groove in the receiver so I have to get another one of those. The top cover got a little bent, but I think I massage it back into shape again. I tried to get the bolt carrier to move with a hammer but it wouldn't move at all. I put the gun aside for a few days to try and figure out what to do and ask some people what their solution was. They said that a hammer need to be use to get it to move. I was trying to be gentle so I didn't brake anything. I tired again whit the hammer that I had been using and it still didn't work. So I went and got a bigger hammer and that started to work, I guess being gentle wasn't the way. I finally got the bolt carrier out and the bolt was left stuck in the gun.

View attachment 808268

I had to take a hammer and punch to get the bolt to rotate to unlock it to remove it. here is what I found when I got it out.

View attachment 808304

So it looks like the ass end of the casing blew out the back. After a little investigating I found out that the barrel was obstructed. The 21st shot, the bullet didn't exit the barrel. So the 22nd shot the bullet couldn't go out the barrel and the gasses didn't have anywhere to but out the back of the gun and into my face and out the mag. So now I have to find a broken case extractor to get the brass case out and figure out the best way to get the bullets out of the barrel. Do I pound them out from the barrel end or do I start from he chamber end? i have heard the machine guns are fun and if you have enough of them one or more is always in a constant state of being broken and being fixed. I have found out that is true.
I’m glad you’re ok.

This kind of thing though is why I will probably always avoid building my own guns or ammo. I’d definitely blow myself up.

Glad you are ok!

Having fun with a machine gun is not worth a lifetime eye injury.

What are you going to do with what remains of that gun???

Sell for parts?

I can't even imagine dropping all that money you spent on it.

Very glad to hear that you are ok after this incident Erik.

It serves as a prudent reminder that proper safety equipment is paramount. Ballistic rated glasses preferably, but everyone should have at least something protecting their eyes whenever shooting.
Eyes & Ears should be called loud on the line always for this reason.

That thing is replaceable, you and your phalanges not so much.

cheers

View attachment 808237

View attachment 808241

View attachment 808245

View attachment 808246

View attachment 808268

View attachment 808304

You are so lucky the thing didn't blow up and destroy your handguard hand.

Welcome to the SQUIB club.

View attachment 808237

View attachment 808241

View attachment 808245

View attachment 808246

View attachment 808268

View attachment 808304

it is quite an exclusive club - to blow up a machine gun and remain unscuffed. pray tonight to whoever your guardian angel is, and good luck fixing it - everything can be fixed.
i would get rid of it afterward, though, once it did this to you, but i am, well, superstitious.

Not sure if you even want to remove the bullet that is stuck in the barrel before checking the barrel. The barrel may be distorted now. Before you go any further measure the barrel diameter to see if it has a bulge in it. It may not be easy to see with the naked eye. If the barrel is not bulged just pound the bullet out with a brass rod and a hammer. If the barrel is removable from the receiver it is best and easiest to drive the bullet out from the breach. If not driving the bullet out from the muzzle side is a little harder and will take more force but can be done.

just pound the bullet out with a brass rod and a hammer.
with a lone squib - may be, a chunk of 2 merged together FMJ bullets in there - not so sure if brass rod will not bend. a steel rod with some brass solid chunk at the end, may be. and after heating up a barrel quite a bit. and some good amount of wd40 on top of the squib. still, well:
1697919306364.png

with a lone squib - may be, a chunk of 2 merged together FMJ bullets in there - not so sure if brass rod will not bend. a steel rod with some brass solid chunk at the end, may be. and after heating up a barrel quite a bit. and some good amount of wd40 on top of the squib. still, well:
View attachment 808424
That may be better. I also just realized this is a 5.56. Brass rod may be too thin.

That may be better. I also just realized this is a 5.56. Brass rod may be too thin.
not a 7.62? anyway, does not matter. it can be done, but, if it is worth it - who knows. to swap a barrel there is also not that simple of a task.

I will find something to get the bullets out and go from there. I'm hoping it will be fine and live again
if you have a barrel press rig for AKs - that is the thing to use, and a heatgun - not a propane torch - on a barrel.

So more good news, I got the brass case out also. I looked down the barrel and I don't see a bulge. I looked at the chamber and it looks good. I was thinking about trying to shoot it but I'm thinking I should probably take it to a gunsmith and have them check it over. Maybe they will see something that I don't.

So more good news, I got the brass case out also. I looked down the barrel and I don't see a bulge. I looked at the chamber and it looks good. I was thinking about trying to shoot it but I'm thinking I should probably take it to a gunsmith and have them check it over. Maybe they will see something that I don't.
Looking "inside the barrel" you'd see a ring, somewhere to the rear of where the bullet was that you removed.

Looking outside the barrel you'd see a bulge in that same spot.

This is IF your barrel is damaged.

I've shot slightly ringed barrels before without issue in a Thompson and M11/9. BOTH were from Winchester factory ammo NOT RELOADS.

Have the barrel checked by a qualified gunsmith and run better ammo.....with eye protection. [thumbsup]

Not sure if you even want to remove the bullet that is stuck in the barrel before checking the barrel. The barrel may be distorted now. Before you go any further measure the barrel diameter to see if it has a bulge in it
On one of my pistols i felt the bulge in the barrel before i saw it. i was cleaning it and as i ran my fingers along the outside there was a little bump that my finger could feel but you could not see.
After cleaning it real good i could see a slight change in the barrel on the riffling on the inside. a slight ring shape as others mention. But it had to be cleaned spotless before i could see the change on the inside of the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom