• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No more Para's

n 2012, with a goal of expanding its handgun line, ROC acquired Para USA (“Para”), a company that specialized in the production of competition, high capacity, and double action 1911-style pistols. Following Remington’s acquisition, Para, which had been experiencing quality control issues

Yeah, no kidding.

saw a steep decline in warranty claims.

That always happens when people stop buying your products.

I've had many chances to acquire a para but have avoided it due to overwhelmingly bad experiences from people i respect. Honestly if I ran freedom group i would nix Para as well....its obsolete up there w Friendster, ICQ and VHS

Remington didn't buy Para just to remove one competitor from the 1911 market - they obviously saw some benefit to acquiring product designs, tooling, distributor channels, etc. The only real news here is that Remington is ditching Para as a separate brand. Manufacture of the porus cast frame widebody 1911's should continue unabated.

Remington didn't buy Para just to remove one competitor from the 1911 market - they obviously saw some benefit to acquiring product designs, tooling, distributor channels, etc. The only real news here is that Remington is ditching Para as a separate brand. Manufacture of the porus cast frame widebody 1911's should continue unabated.

So basically, we should expect a line of junk 1911s produced with the remington stamp soon?

-Mike

I agree, but i don't think the Para purchase went as planned. They spent a fairly good amount of money promoting the Para brand.... that doesn't make much sense of your buying them for strictly their tooling.

I can't imagine they purchased Para for their skilled craftsmen

I've had too little experience with Remington too comment on the products themselves, but their customer service is horrible enough for me to never buy Remington again.

I would hope that 1911 owners would see a piece of shit as a piece of shit. Note to all future 1911 owners watch for cheap Remington junk.

One of the worst guns I have ever shot. My buddy got one right after Sandy Hook because it was the ony thing on the shelf. We soon figured out why

How many times has Para moved in the last 10 years? They had no QC in the last 5 years , you were lucky if the gun that you purchased worked / function properly . You could have a functional gun built with the frames that they sold.

One local shooter (Matt J) observed that Paras are fine guns, and that if you you replace the barrel, hammer, sear, trigger and other internal parts you will get many weeks of acceptable service out of one.

Para got established when they were the only 1911 wide body (Caspian was frames only) in the arena, and competitors flocked to their guns since they provided the base for doing exactly what Matt suggested in his observation. Once STI and SVI came along, the serious competitors who sought quality flocked to those brands.

And, there is that dreadful "power extractor" - that does nothing for you except prevent you from using other brand extractors in your gun.

One local shooter (Matt J) observed that Paras are fine guns, and that if you you replace the barrel, hammer, sear, trigger and other internal parts you will get many weeks of acceptable service out of one.

Para got established when they were the only 1911 wide body (Caspian was frames only) in the arena, and competitors flocked to their guns since they provided the base for doing exactly what Matt suggested in his observation. Once STI and SVI came along, the serious competitors who sought quality flocked to those brands.

And, there is that dreadful "power extractor" - that does nothing for you except prevent you from using other brand extractors in your gun.

I'm not defending Para, but in addition to the first mass marketed double stack widebody, didn't they come up with a few other innovations for the 1911 platform as well, such as their LDA double action design ???

So basically, we should expect a line of junk 1911s produced with the remington stamp soon?

-Mike

No. A line of junk HI CAP 1911s.

None of the Rem 1911s do it for me anyway. The original was fine at $800.

But the idea of paying $1400 for some of their fancier ones, I don't get.
You can get a Dan Wesson for $1200. Or even a pristine used Les Baer for a bit more money.

Actually, I don't really see the point in getting anything more expensive than a SR1911 up until you get to Dan Wesson. But that's just me.

Don

Last edited:
I'm not defending Para, but in addition to the first mass marketed double stack widebody, didn't they come up with a few other innovations for the 1911 platform as well, such as their LDA double action design ???
Oh yeah, that took the world by storm. I almost forgot.

Oh yeah, that took the world by storm. I almost forgot.

Not all innovations translate into market success, but are innovations nonetheless.
I myself like DA autos that give you the option of a second whack at finicky primer without having to manually recock the hammer or rack the slide.

Not all innovations translate into market success, but are innovations nonetheless.
I myself like DA autos that give you the option of a second whack at finicky primer without having to manually recock the hammer or rack the slide.

"The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result". Probably falsely attributed to Einstein but still pretty solid words.

Second strike capability is overrated, I think the entire ethos of second strike is full retard. There's a reason that round didn't go off the first time- it's either shitty ammunition or the gun has malfunctioned in some way... and in either case, you're better off jacking that round out and moving to the next one. Even the revolver guys were ahead of their time- what happens in a DA revolver when you pull the trigger again after a no-shoot? It gives you a fresh new round to hit.

-Mike

Second strike capability is overrated, I think the entire ethos of second strike is full retard. There's a reason that round didn't go off the first time- it's either shitty ammunition or the gun has malfunctioned in some way... and in either case, you're better off jacking that round out and moving to the next one. Even the revolver guys were ahead of their time- what happens in a DA revolver when you pull the trigger again after a no-shoot? It gives you a fresh new round to hit.

Maybe second strike is overrated, but sometimes it's tough to rack the slide if your other hand is occupied doing something else, like maybe holding a flashlight or trying to push a door shut, and 10+ shot .45 caliber revolvers are pretty tough to come by.

Maybe second strike is overrated, but sometimes it's tough to rack the slide if your other hand is occupied doing something else, like maybe holding a flashlight or trying to push a door shut, and 10+ shot .45 caliber revolvers are pretty tough to come by.

I guess, but I'm not going to constrain my gun choices to hedge against an event that can be 100% blamed on the user- (using a bad gun or ammo type that's not well tested. )

-Mike

I worked in Firearm wholesale, and of all the guns we had, PARA was the kiss of death. Nobody anywhere in the country wanted them. You could not sell them at all, even below cost. Good riddance to that line.

Para is a good name for them, like paraplegic, their guns are crippled by poor quality control. [laugh]

But are they worse than Taurus ??? [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom