• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No more Para's

I had an 04, p12 LDA. Great trigger and before qc took a dump. Couple thousand rounds through it with very few ftf problems. Ymmv I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

I had a Warthog 45 ACP with a 6" barrel and held 15 rounds, I loved that thing, I got a insane offer for it, so I let it go.

Dean

Years ago I traded in a G19 towards a Para C6 LDA. Worst decision ever. I even had to throw money down on top of the G19 to get the Para. Ugh. Horribly unreliable. I figured I'd give Para one more chance, and traded in the LDA towards (yes, again had to throw money on top of the gun) a P12 Limited. Again, junk.

Maybe the Gov't size Para's run better, but I'll never own another Para again. 2 strikes and you're out in my book.

They were both junk. what's terrible is that good people would associate their names to this stuff like Jessie Duff and Travis Tomasie

Paras can be made to work reliably if you have a good smith, replace most of the internal parts, and, or course, always have a spare gun in your range bag. Todd Jarrett kicked ass for years using a Para.

Buyers lose sight of the fact that these top competitors aren't using an out of the box pistol just like the one they can get at the corner store, and they are not making a "purchase decision" but a "sponsorship deal" when they acquire one.

The real measure is what are the top tier competitors who have to pay for their guns using.

I love my '90s Para. It functions flawlessly. And, it has 14+1 .45 acp goodness. [kiss]

Not all Paras are bad. Just apparently the recently built ones.

Maybe second strike is overrated, but sometimes it's tough to rack the slide if your other hand is occupied doing something else, like maybe holding a flashlight or trying to push a door shut, and 10+ shot .45 caliber revolvers are pretty tough to come by.

If there was ever a possibility that that could ever happen to me under any circumstances, I would not have a Para in my hand.. ☺ My 13+1 G21 yes.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

so did freedom group acquiring para lead to the downfall of para? or was para QC in the toilet before freedom group got involved?

I've seen two problems with Paras -

1. Porosity. I saw a gun being custominzed and the smith exposed bubbles in the casting when checkering the front strap.

2. Frame cracking along the notch in which the trigger rides (the crack was under the grip).

These both happened in the mid 80s/early 90s when Paras were "the" high capacity 1911.

so did freedom group acquiring para lead to the downfall of para? or was para QC in the toilet before freedom group got involved?

Para has been producing shitty guns for at least 10 years (although 10 years ago you could, on occcasion, get a gun that wasn't a complete POS) but in the last 5 or 6 they have been even worse.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom