• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH- SB88 Veto over ride vote Sept 7.

no real surprises
D'Allesandro, Lou Democrat 20 Nay
Houde, Matthew Democrat 5 Nay
Kelly, Molly Democrat 10 Nay
Larsen, Sylvia Democrat 15 Nay
Merrill, Amanda Democrat 21 Nay
Odell, Bob Republican 8 Nay
Stiles, Nancy Republican 24 Nay

It looks the veto has been overridden (unless I am misinterpreting the legal mumbo jumbo).

General Status: VETOED BY GOVERNOR
Senate Status: VETO OVERRIDDEN Status Date 9/7/2011​

whoo.gif
[smile]

It looks the veto has been overridden (unless I am misinterpreting the legal mumbo jumbo).

General Status: VETOED BY GOVERNOR
Senate Status: VETO OVERRIDDEN Status Date 9/7/2011​

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bil...ption=&txtsessionyear=2011&txtbillnumber=sb88

Still needs the override vote in the House, but the Senate vote was the touchy one. Well done NH senators!

So, when is THAT vote? Is there anything we in MA can do to help?

When will the House take up the override.

The House will take up this bill at the Speakers call, but I suspect the vote will be on Wednesday the 14th, (after 1pm) Please call your rep and ask them to veto to override the Veto.
We have already been "Whipped" on it, which means Leadership should have the polling results from the house reps[Republicans] on how they plan to vote.
I will be voting to overturn the Veto.
-Design [Rep. Hoell]

so can a list of those who will vote "against" be made up and available to all here?? any "negatives" specifically in the Rindge/Jaffrey are especially interesting.

I got this email from Pro-Gun NH today:

Various Chiefs of Police and other law enforcement representatives have gone on a public tour with the Governor proclaiming how important the “Duty to Retreat” is to New Hampshire’s self defense law as it applies to honest citizens under RSA 627:4. They have publically opposed SB88 which removes the "Duty to Retreat" for honest citizen defenders. Given that they feel that way, we propose adding it to the self defense requirements for law enforcement found under RSA 627:5 and eliminating the police exemption for retreating under RSA 627:4. (Note that this applies only to a law enforcement officer's self defense, not to making an arrest.) We have taken the exact language that they support and just modified it to fit law enforcement. Here is how it reads:
------------------------------------------
627:5 Physical Force in Law Enforcement. –
NEW SECTION
II. A law enforcement officer is not justified in using deadly force on another to defend himself/herself or a third person from deadly force by another if the officer knows that he or she and the third person can, with complete safety: (a) Retreat from the encounter, except that the officer is not required to retreat if he or she is within the officer's police station building or its curtilage and was not the initial aggressor.

DELETE:
RSA 627:4, III (d), which reads:
"(d) If he is a law enforcement officer or a private person assisting him at his direction and was acting pursuant to RSA 627:5, he need not retreat." is hereby repealed.
------------------------------------------
Let’s face it, although most law enforcement can be trusted with the use of deadly force, there may be some corrupt cops who would abuse the law. Accordingly, as per the Chiefs' vocal support for mandating the “Duty to Retreat” on everybody else, “What's good for the goose is good for the gander.” PGNH will try to get the “Duty to Retreat for Cops” added as an amendment this session or put forward as a stand-alone bill. The next time you see a Chief in opposition to SB88, make sure to ask if he supports the “Duty to Retreat for Cops” as well.

I got this email from Pro-Gun NH today:

Various Chiefs of Police and other law enforcement representatives have gone on a public tour with the Governor proclaiming how important the “Duty to Retreat” is to New Hampshire’s self defense law as it applies to honest citizens under RSA 627:4. They have publically opposed SB88 which removes the "Duty to Retreat" for honest citizen defenders. Given that they feel that way, we propose adding it to the self defense requirements for law enforcement found under RSA 627:5 and eliminating the police exemption ...

... Accordingly, as per the Chiefs' vocal support for mandating the “Duty to Retreat” on everybody else, “What's good for the goose is good for the gander.” PGNH will try to get the “Duty to Retreat for Cops” added as an amendment this session or put forward as a stand-alone bill. The next time you see a Chief in opposition to SB88, make sure to ask if he supports the “Duty to Retreat for Cops” as well.

Nice. This should happen every time they propose unequal application to the laws (exemptions for themselves).

reference:
exempt from MA and US laws

Last edited:
The CLEO in my town is on the NH Police Association board, he will get a good Q&A session from me when i see him in the coffee shop in the near future.

I think the only one around here i would worry about is Susan Emerson (R) a bit of a RINO. Hope i am wrong on that.
Looks like she voted in support of it when the current version originally passed. One can hope she remains consistent.

I think the only one around here i would worry about is Susan Emerson (R) a bit of a RINO. Hope i am wrong on that.

Looks like she voted in support of it when the current version originally passed. One can hope she remains consistent.

Let's remind her who she works for.

Representative Susan Emerson (r)
Cheshire- District 07
Seat #:2023
Incumbent
Home Address:
PO Box 646
Rindge, NH 03461-0646
Phone: (603)899-6529
Email: [email protected]

Call, e-mail and write. Drive the point home. She serves us and we are not her subjects.

here is the list of those that voted no originally (is the list is too long) let me know and I can email it
Weber, Lucy Democrat Cheshire 2 Nay
Chase, Cynthia Democrat Cheshire 3 Nay
Hawkes, Samuel Democrat Cheshire 3 Nay
Johnsen, Gladys Democrat Cheshire 3 Nay
Meader, David Democrat Cheshire 3 Nay
Roberts, Kris Democrat Cheshire 3 Nay
Weed, Charles Democrat Cheshire 3 Nay
Butynski, William Democrat Cheshire 4 Nay
Carr, Daniel Democrat Cheshire 4 Nay
Parkhurst, Henry Democrat Cheshire 4 Nay
Tatro, Bruce Democrat Cheshire 6 Nay
Merrick, Evalyn Democrat Coos 2 Nay
Hatch, William Democrat Coos 3 Nay
Coulombe, Gary Democrat/Republican Coos 4 Nay
Theberge, Robert Democrat Coos 4 Nay
Taylor, Kathleen Democrat Grafton 2 Nay
Aguiar, James Democrat Grafton 6 Nay
Smith, Suzanne Democrat Grafton 7 Nay
Benn, Bernard Democrat Grafton 9 Nay
Nordgren, Sharon Democrat Grafton 9 Nay
Pastor, Beatriz Democrat Grafton 9 Nay
Pierce, David Democrat Grafton 9 Nay
Townsend, Charles Democrat Grafton 10 Nay
Almy, Susan Democrat Grafton 11 Nay
Gould, Franklin Democrat Grafton 11 Nay
Harding, Laurie Democrat Grafton 11 Nay
White, Andrew Democrat Grafton 11 Nay
Porter, Marjorie Democrat Hillsborough 1 Nay
Daler, Jennifer Democrat Hillsborough 4 Nay
Gargasz, Carolyn Republican Hillsborough 5 Nay
Sullivan, Daniel Democrat Hillsborough 8 Nay
Brunelle, Michael Democrat Hillsborough 10 Nay
Long, Patrick Democrat Hillsborough 10 Nay
Gimas, John Democrat Hillsborough 12 Nay
Rokas, Ted Democrat Hillsborough 12 Nay
Baroody, Benjamin Democrat Hillsborough 13 Nay
Garrity, Patrick Democrat Hillsborough 14 Nay
Katsiantonis, Thomas Democrat Hillsborough 15 Nay
Pilotte, Maurice Democrat Hillsborough 16 Nay
Rhodes, Brian Democrat Hillsborough 22 Nay
Rosenwald, Cindy Democrat Hillsborough 22 Nay
Cote, David Democrat Hillsborough 23 Nay
Campbell, David Democrat Hillsborough 24 Nay
Kidder, David Republican Merrimack 1 Nay
Owen, Derek Democrat Merrimack 4 Nay
Richardson, Gary Democrat Merrimack 4 Nay
Frazer, June Democrat Merrimack 10 Nay
Gile, Mary Democrat Merrimack 10 Nay
Potter, Frances Democrat Merrimack 10 Nay
Shurtleff, Stephen Democrat Merrimack 10 Nay
Bouchard, Candace Democrat Merrimack 11 Nay
MacKay, James Democrat Merrimack 11 Nay
Patten, Dick Democrat Merrimack 11 Nay
Williams, Robert Democrat Merrimack 11 Nay
Deloge, Helen Democrat Merrimack 12 Nay
Rice, Chip Democrat Merrimack 12 Nay
Wallner, Mary Jane Democrat Merrimack 12 Nay
Watrous, Rick Democrat Merrimack 12 Nay
DeStefano, Stephen Democrat Merrimack 13 Nay
Gould, Kenneth Republican Rockingham 5 Nay
Moody, Marcia Democrat Rockingham 12 Nay
Lovejoy, Patricia Democrat Rockingham 13 Nay
Schlachman, Donna Democrat Rockingham 13 Nay
Cali-Pitts, Jacqueline Democrat Rockingham 16 Nay
DiPentima, Rich Democrat Rockingham 16 Nay
Norelli, Terie Democrat Rockingham 16 Nay
Pantelakos, Laura Democrat Rockingham 16 Nay
Powers, James Democrat Rockingham 16 Nay
Read, Robin Democrat Rockingham 16 Nay
Serlin, Christopher Democrat Rockingham 16 Nay
Grassie, Anne Democrat Strafford 1 Nay
Keans, Sandra Democrat Strafford 1 Nay
Berube, Roger Democrat Strafford 2 Nay
Munck, Philip Republican Strafford 2 Nay
Spainhower, Dale Democrat Strafford 2 Nay
Sprague, Dale Democrat Strafford 2 Nay
Browne, Brendon Democrat Strafford 4 Nay
Schmidt, Peter Democrat Strafford 4 Nay
Hooper, Dorothea Democrat Strafford 5 Nay
Pelletier, Marsha Democrat Strafford 5 Nay
Ginsburg, Philip Democrat Strafford 7 Nay
Horrigan, Timothy Democrat Strafford 7 Nay
Kaen, Naida Democrat Strafford 7 Nay
Spang, Judith Democrat Strafford 7 Nay
Wall, Janet Democrat/Republican Strafford 7 Nay
Lefebvre, Benjamin Democrat Sullivan 1 Nay
Schmidt, Andrew Democrat Sullivan 1 Nay
Cloutier, John Democrat Sullivan 4 Nay
Gagnon, Raymond Democrat Sullivan 4 Nay

Don't just speak with the Chief...

The CLEO in my town is on the NH Police Association board, he will get a good Q&A session from me when i see him in the coffee shop in the near future.
The Chief works for either the mayor or the board of selectmen. Make it clear to his boss that you expect the chief to work for the town/city and not to spend his time at the state house on your tax dollars as a "lobbyist".
I would make it clear at the next town meeting/election if the Chief wants to be part of the NHACP, then he does it out of his own pocket, if not the selectmen who oversee his work should be held accountable.
Citizens tax dollars should not be subsidizing police officers to be at the state house acting as "lobbyists" This is not why the police chief was hired.
my $0.02

I'll get off of my soap box

-Design

PS. This happens more then one might think.

All, I would go to this page: If the member has a score of 80% or less, there is a chance that they will cave and vote to sustain the Veto.
http://nhhra.org/Scorecards/Scorecard_110705.pdf If they score above a 80% on this page, for the most part, they will vote the correct way on this veto over-ride. (System is not 100% correct, but it is much better than anything else we have to grade the candidates.

Nevins, Chris
Babson, David
Terrio, Ross
Buxton, Michael
Richardson, Herbert
Hawkins, Kenneth
Fredette, Robert
Quandt, Matt
Graham, John
Soltani, Tony
Umberger, Karen
McKinney, Betsy
Day, Russell
Moran, Edward
Ladd, Rick
Proulx, Mark
Dwinell, Richard
Emerton, Larry
Johnson, Jane
Hess, David
St. Cyr, Jeffrey
Quandt, Marshall
Kurk, Neal
Allen, Mary
Knox, J. David
Drisko, Richard
Waddell, James
Emerson, Susan
Copeland, Timothy
Pilliod, James
Dowling, Patricia
Perkins, Amy
Bolster, Peter
Messier, Irene
Millham, Alida
Perkins, Lawrence
Case, Frank
Remick, William
Lockwood, Priscilla
Gargasz, Carolyn
Brown, Julie
Gimas, John
Kidder, David
Domingo, Baldwin
Gould, Kenneth

-Design

PM me and I can send a semicolon de-limited text file of all NH Representative emails that you can paste into an email. As there are hundreds, you have to paste 50-100 at a time or your email system will reject the send as spam.

I tried to post the list but it truncates for some reason...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom