Need help showing up my wifes Ex. Its for the Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you've made up your mind, no matter what advice you get here.

It's a big mistake. Kids don't need to be put involved in a pissing match between you 2. It's retarded and selfish.

HE is the biological father. He can do whatever he wants. Whether it irks you or not.

listen to this man... read this over and over again until it sinks in. :D

I envisioned a blanket rolled up to pad between his shoulder and the but of the rifle. esentially trying to lock down the gun and have him basically be a trigger puller not much aiming involved just for the experience

And to all you guys saying let it go I hear ya and any other day i would be with you but this guy is a douch, yes he is his Biological dad but anybody who knows me knows i am far more of a father then he. This was our thing and i'd be willing to bet his dad knew in the back of his mind this would erk me. its just how he is.

He may have had the first 22 experience with his bio dad but how many more will he have with him? And you know, an AR doesn't kick too much. Garuantee DB won't let the kid pull the trigger on that anytime soon!

It sounds like you've made up your mind, no matter what advice you get here.

It's a big mistake. Kids don't need to be put involved in a pissing match between you 2. It's retarded and selfish.

HE is the biological father. He can do whatever he wants. Whether it irks you or not.

I have not made up my mind yet somebody mentioned in a comment on a rep that because bio dad made the first step in letting Evan shoot a .22 in a way its an get out of jail free card for take him to the range to shoot a .22 (not a 50) so now when we do go to the range I no longer have to worry about him S'ing his pants because i can always go back to "well you let him shoot a .22 in PA so I figured you'd be cool with it.

I in no way want to get into a dick wagging contest or risk a court battle. Or put Evan in an awkward position. My number one priority is Evan not his DB father.

Once i cool down I will probably talk to DB about all of us meeting up at a range and having a family shoot. (just don't let my wife get behind him she's a good shot and may take the oportunity lol I kid I kid)

Your already showing up the ex by treating the kid like he's your own kid and just being a Dad.

This x Infinity.

Having grown up in a similar situation, this means more than any .50 BMG shoot. PM me if you want a heart to heart with a guy who is almost 50 and has still never gotten over being abandoned by the "man" who fathered him, but learned how to be a Father by the guy who quietly stepped in and treated me like I was his blood from day one.

I have not made up my mind yet somebody mentioned in a comment on a rep that because bio dad made the first step in letting Evan shoot a .22 in a way its an get out of jail free card for take him to the range to shoot a .22 (not a 50) so now when we do go to the range I no longer have to worry about him S'ing his pants because i can always go back to "well you let him shoot a .22 in PA so I figured you'd be cool with it.

I in no way want to get into a dick wagging contest or risk a court battle. Or put Evan in an awkward position. My number one priority is Evan not his DB father.

Once i cool down I will probably talk to DB about all of us meeting up at a range and having a family shoot. (just don't let my wife get behind him she's a good shot and may take the oportunity lol I kid I kid)

I think you're on the right track here, brother. Just let it cool down and make a level headed decision. It's a tough situation no doubt, but you're smart enough to make the most of it without making it worse.

Exactly. Cool off, think about this for a second, and you will see that it sounds like something a 14 year old would do. [laugh]

Do your best to mend fences with him, take the whole family shooting, etc. Nice him to death. YOU be the better person. Don't let his actions make you do something you'll regret.

Hopefully when his dads friend handed him the rifle. He made a comment like " my stepfather already showed me"!

I think my wife did say that of all the kids that shot Evan was the only one who could hit the target and they contributed it to my training with him. Evan has the 5 laws frames in his room and must recite them before he uses the air rifle.

ok you seem calmer now. GOOD!!!!! take a couple more deep breaths. christmas is not too far away. maybe a bolt action .22 under the tree is the answer

Last edited:
Well, I do have a Barrett 50 but I also think it is a bad idea. You're putting the kid in the middle and that's never good. And I did see a young person get their brain scrambled a bit a few years ago when they were sitting near a .50 BMG when fired. That's right, not shooting it but beside it. It's a scary powerful weapon, and the muzzle break blows a lot of the force out sideways.

Having said that... I also have numerous AR's, bolt action .223, numerous .22 rifles, .308 rifle in bolt and semi, plenty of cool/fun pistols and more. I'm happy to have you and your stepson to my club in metrowest as my guests to shoot any and all of these, once he's gained confidence and shows proficiency and interest. I've got plenty of ammo too... and I love to see kids properly introduced to our sport.

Most kids are thrilled shooting a .223. The kick is minimal but the look of an AR gets them all excited.

Offer is on the table.

But do the right thing for the kid, not for revenge against the other guy.

Last edited:
Everyone is missing the entire point here, Evan has the potential to win bigtime. Two dads, no not that way, that like guns! Kid will be a expert marksmen getting more range time than most adults [laugh]
I was getting dad is anti gun from the post ?

Well, I do have a Barrett 50 but I also think it is a bad idea. You're putting the kid in the middle and that's never good. And I did see a young person get their brain scrambled a bit a few years ago when they was sitting near a .50 BMG when fired. That's right, not shooting it but beside it. It's a scary powerful weapon, and the muzzle break blows a lot of the force out sideways.

Having said that... I also have numerous AR's, bolt action .223, numerous .22 rifles, .308 rifle in bolt and semi, plenty of cool/fun pistols and more. I'm happy to have you and your stepson to my club in metrowest as my guests to shoot any and all of these, once he's gained confidence and shows proficiency and interest. I've got plenty of ammo too... and I love to see kids properly introduced to our sport.

Most kids are thrilled shooting a .223. The kick is minimal but the look of an AR gets them all excited.

Offer is on the table.

But do the right thing for the kid, not for revenge against the other guy.

thanks may take you up on that, I think i will talk to the wife tonight about setting up a family range day with mom, dad, dad, and Evan Shoot a couple entry level stuff. Evan was very interested in shooting a .22 pistol (which I have one) We have never trained on any pistols with him as i wanted him to master rifle first. Perhaps this can be a first I can have with him.

- - - Updated - - -

I was suggesting that maybe by allowing him to shoot the .22 he might be coming around and be a cool with the idea of guns.

I think he may be coming around a bit will be interesting to see what he says about a family range day. and then what his face says when i break out an AR or gsg AK cuz those are killy looking

If the guys a dick, he will always be one, I went through this with my wifes ex. The bonus is that you seem to have the green light to shoot with him now.
If your still pissed in a few days, teach him to drive.

Why dont you buy him his 1st 22 like the little rascal i think its called that

I was thinking a criket but i can't find youth size bold action .22's anywhere only the ruger that breaks in half and I think there semi auto and i want a bolt gun so he is forced to slowley go through the steps

I was thinking a criket but i can't find youth size bold action .22's anywhere only the ruger that breaks in half and I think there semi auto and i want a bolt gun so he is forced to slowley go through the steps

Think about a Henry lever action!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Think about a Henry lever action!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

i would love to get him a golden boy but his first gun shouldn't be a $400+ lever action. a simple bolt gun that he can practice going through the motions will do just fine i just never see em in stores. Any body have something second hand they don't need? perhaps I should post a WTB thread

Right on.

Cricket, CZ, Savage, and Henry all make youth-stocked single-shot bolt .22s. I think the CZ is the nicest but they will all do for a trainer. Could also look for an old Remington Model 6 (rolling block) or 510, or a Winchester 67A (among many other old single-shot .22s).

If you ever wanna travel up to NH (monadnock area) we can go to my gun club and shoot some stuff.

I'll bring my old Marlin 22magnum bolt action. It's an epic gun. [laugh] I also have a couple of other 22 rifles as well.

This thread is just awesome. Good folks, great advice!
I discovered each day has enough trauma, turmoil, A lot of work to set it all aside in time for bed.
Child doesn't have to be blood to be loved and accepted.
Business, no matter what blood Dad says or does, you made a good difference for your wife and the boy.
You are mighty impressive in that the fiancee asked for gun lessons!
I think if you continue to act as a pool lifeguard, watching out for danger, ready to lend a hand,
this will all work out for the good of the boy. Quiet words require folks to quiet-down so they can hear you.

If it means anything, this old fart from Oregon is proud of you.
Sincerely
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom