• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My very first negligent discharge

Wouldn't actual shooting be better to make you better at shooting?

Dryfire is immensely useful, my 15 year old just started on her HS high power rifle team, after her first practice i brought her home and put her on a dryfire regimen, 15 minutes a night every night of indexing the rifle, using the rear bag correctly, loading snapcaps, pulling trigger, and reloading while still on the gun.

The following week her score was improved by 100%.

One ND slamfire , was an AR15. I forgot my mags, thought i would be smart and drop a reload round through the ejection port and into the chamber. Sent the bolt into battery and the gun slamfired . Luckily i had the muzzle pointed downward and downrange. That situation was my wakeup call note to self, only operate a weapon AS INTENDED.

What mags were you using? If you want to do the tactical wrist flip mag change, those 30 year old U-Notches just won't do

One ND slamfire , was an AR15. I forgot my mags, thought i would be smart and drop a reload round through the ejection port and into the chamber. Sent the bolt into battery and the gun slamfired . Luckily i had the muzzle pointed downward and downrange. That situation was my wakeup call note to self, only operate a weapon AS INTENDED.

I’d call that an AD, not an ND.

And it is totally normal to single load an AR through the ejection port. Competition shooters do it all the time to load 80gr+ cartridges that are longer than magazine length during 600 yard slow fire stages.

I think your situation had more to do with your primer or possibly dirt or something on the end of the firing pin.

No if it actually helps as a practice tool that's great. I grew up mostly wing shooting so I guess I wouldn't really do it. I was really speaking more to the act of dry firing a firearm after it's been cleared or at least someone thinks it's cleared. Like the @ridleyman story or the OP's description of his ND.
Many striker fired handguns require you to release the striker, dry fire, in order to disassemble.

My M&P can lock the sear out but it's easier to clear and stick a finger in the mag well to activate the mag safety then dry fire.

Never had a ND. The closest I have come was the first time I ever shot my S&W 29. Was at the range, and cocked the hammer back to fire single action. With the hammer back, it is the lightest trigger I have ever seen. I'd be surprised if it takes more than a pound to drop the hammer. Was pointed down range, but when it went off it put a 44mag into the dirt about 3 feet in front of me and I barely touched the trigger. Scared the shit out of me. Truly a "hair trigger"
Now, I warn everyone that shoots it and tell them if they drop my 29 I will beat them to death with it.

I was at a friend's about 2 months ago, whose wife pulled a shotgun out of their safe to show me. Before I knew it,she pulled the trigger, then cylcled the pump, and a shell came out. It had previously been fired, but she must have racked the pump enough to cock it but not eject the fired shell. ???

Incidentally, the gun was pointed in a safe direction. I was a little shocked, but I managed to make a joke about a room renovation.
This is NES - you left out the most important part of that story. Was the wife hot?

Most of my discharges are negligent, and almost all of them premature.

Seriously though, it takes balls to post about it. Good on you.

Everybody makes mistakes. Acting like it is possible to be careful enough to avoid ever making one is what turns mistakes into tragedies. That is why "A gun is always loaded" and "keep it pointed in a safe direction" stuff exists. Getting flagged, or seeing some other transgression, by someone who clearly doesn't know better and has made an honest mistake, is an opportunity for education, both for them, and for you. We need to choke down that burningly overwhelming desire to destroy offenders.* It is our responsibility as a community to educate others.

*The first time. After that, it weapons free.

Op. Accidents happen. I would consider that an AD. I know others here will disagree. But i have to womder why we as gun owners love to spew forth the anti gun bullshit. If you had crashed your car it would've been an accident. No?
No. That's a collision.

At least at my Driver's Ed, and again at my Basic and Experienced Rider's Courses, we were told that most collisions are the result of a series of choices made by the driver - the same carelessness and ignorance we discuss in firearms safety classes. That journalists and the general public use the word "accident" to absolve themselves and others of responsibility, with both cars and guns, doesn't mean they're right. In the MSF courses, they borrow the term "Accident Chain" from aviation, to helpfully demonstrate that most aren't.

breaking-the-accident-chain1-l.jpg

A tree falling on your car, a deer jumping in front of it, or a brake line failing due to unknown material defects are accidents - they're outside your control. They "happened." Most collisions aren't accidents. Heck, @Picton's example only counts from his perspective. Realistically, if someone else collides with your car it might be said that you had an accident while they crashed into you; you might equally say you were the victim of their negligence.

In this case, OP knows the correct way to take down his pistol: remove magazine, cycle slide, confirm chamber/mag well/breech face are clear, close slide, pull trigger [...] etc. Despite his knowledge, he neglected to follow the steps in the correct order, failed to confirm the gun was unloaded, then pulled the trigger - in a safe direction. His Accident Chain includes at least two specific behaviors that lead to the event.

Eta. Glad you're ok
Agreed. @45Badger, thanks for sharing your story; this is another thing aviators do to create a culture of safety. We all benefit from the honesty that you've demonstrated here.

So far I count myself fortunate; the closest I've been to an ND have been a couple of unintentional double-taps. Trying to reset and get back on the trigger, I've pulled through the wall as I came back on it. Fortunately, they were all pointed at the berm.

Never had a ND. The closest I have come was the first time I ever shot my S&W 29. Was at the range, and cocked the hammer back to fire single action. With the hammer back, it is the lightest trigger I have ever seen. I'd be surprised if it takes more than a pound to drop the hammer. Was pointed down range, but when it went off it put a 44mag into the dirt about 3 feet in front of me and I barely touched the trigger. Scared the shit out of me. Truly a "hair trigger"
Now, I warn everyone that shoots it and tell them if they drop my 29 I will beat them to death with it.
Actually, I correct myself - the closest I've been was using the double set trigger on a muzzleloader a couple weeks ago. I'd get the gun on target and touched the trigger before I was fully aligned with the bullseye. I don't even recall the feel of touching it, it was that light.

I’d call that an AD, not an ND.

And it is totally normal to single load an AR through the ejection port. Competition shooters do it all the time to load 80gr+ cartridges that are longer than magazine length during 600 yard slow fire stages.

I think your situation had more to do with your primer or possibly dirt or something on the end of the firing pin.

I agree i on the primer issue, maybe a high primer ? This incident happened many years ago and i was new to AR's and reloading so i didnt really know how to diagnose what happened . To my knowledge the ar firing pin is blocked until the bolt is completely into battery. I do remember that i did not have the safety selector active.

Last edited:
No. That's a collision.

At least at my Driver's Ed, and again at my Basic and Experienced Rider's Courses, we were told that most collisions are the result of a series of choices made by the driver - the same carelessness and ignorance we discuss in firearms safety classes. That journalists and the general public use the word "accident" to absolve themselves and others of responsibility, with both cars and guns, doesn't mean they're right. In the MSF courses, they borrow the term "Accident Chain" from aviation, to helpfully demonstrate that most aren't.

breaking-the-accident-chain1-l.jpg

A tree falling on your car, a deer jumping in front of it, or a brake line failing due to unknown material defects are accidents - they're outside your control. They "happened." Most collisions aren't accidents. Heck, @Picton's example only counts from his perspective. Realistically, if someone else collides with your car it might be said that you had an accident while they crashed into you; you might equally say you were the victim of their negligence.

In this case, OP knows the correct way to take down his pistol: remove magazine, cycle slide, confirm chamber/mag well/breech face are clear, close slide, pull trigger [...] etc. Despite his knowledge, he neglected to follow the steps in the correct order, failed to confirm the gun was unloaded, then pulled the trigger - in a safe direction. His Accident Chain includes at least two specific behaviors that lead to the event.

Agreed. @45Badger, thanks for sharing your story; this is another thing aviators do to create a culture of safety. We all benefit from the honesty that you've demonstrated here.

So far I count myself fortunate; the closest I've been to an ND have been a couple of unintentional double-taps. Trying to reset and get back on the trigger, I've pulled through the wall as I came back on it. Fortunately, they were all pointed at the berm.

Actually, I correct myself - the closest I've been was using the double set trigger on a muzzleloader a couple weeks ago. I'd get the gun on target and touched the trigger before I was fully aligned with the bullseye. I don't even recall the feel of touching it, it was that light.

Eh, if you knowingly are doing the wrong thing, that’s negligence. If you don’t know what’s wrong because you choose to be ignorant to the rules, that’s negligence.

If you know the rules and try to follow them, but happened to miss following one once because you’re human, that is accidental.

Eh, if you knowingly are doing the wrong thing, that’s negligence. If you don’t know what’s wrong because you choose to be ignorant to the rules, that’s negligence.

If you know the rules and try to follow them, but happened to miss following one once because you’re human, that is accidental.
Respectfully, if he'd just fumbled the unload I'd agree. But he also skipped the confirmation step. That's where the chain broke.

Then he honorably took responsibility and shared his experience with the rest of us to remind why we have that conscious step.

I agree i on the primer issue, maybe a high primer ? To my knowledge the ar firing pin is blocked until the bolt is completely into battery. I do remember that i did not have the safety selector active.

The AR firing pin isn’t blocked, it’s floating. However, it can’t protrude, due to geometry, until the bolt is locked in the star chamber.

Military cartridges all use harder primers, the CCI 41s, because of the floating firing pin. Each chambering will get a slight dimple. Manually loading a round will likely increase bolt velocity, but even with normal not-hard match primers it shouldn’t ignite. All that said, it can happen due to the floating firing pin design. Which makes it particularly important to keep an AR pointed in a safe direction when chambering.

Hell, even happened to someone in my company, with military ammo, inside the back of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle when headed onto a patrol. I ended up slow chambering them and using the forward assist when inside vehicles or helicopters after that.

I rack the slide no less than 3 time on every gun I pick up and want to be empty. Even if I'm the one who emptied it and put it down a minute ago. Muscle memory is a mitigating factor to fatigue and distraction.

I do this too and I always thought it was obsessive. But better safe than sorry.

One thing that someone taught me early on and stuck with me was when clearing a gun, rack the slide three times, if stuff keeps coming out after the first one, act accordingly.

I rack 3x, even though it seems excessive (to me). If something comes out unexpectedly on the first and/or second rack, I'll stop and reevaluate. If something comes out on the third, but not the first 2, wtf is going on? I'll still probably keep doing it though, force of habit.

As far as drilling on dropping the mag first and then clearing - I have a Ruger Mark IV that would stovepipe or jam every 3rd round or so. It was much easier to clear it if I dropped the mag first. A couple sessions with that gun and it's automatic.

Thanks for sharing - glad it ended well.

S&W actually recommends dry firing some of their revolvers to smooth out the trigger pull.. I have a 642 that has a very smooth trigger pull as I sat watching TV just pulling the trigger. Has to have thousands of pulls at this point and as S&W recommended, the trigger is now excellent.

He used the word he was expected to use. He wasn't negligent. For starters he did no harm. He did everything right. Primarily by keeping the gun in a safe direction when he pressed the trigger. .He accidentally missed a round. Not for lack of trying. There's a reason why we clear a gun and still point it in a safe direction when we press the trigger.

And yes. Some car collisions are due to negligence. But when it comes to.cars we default to the word accident. When it comes to icky guns we default to the word negligent.
If a pilot does a walk around and does not notice that the tip of his wing is cracked and hanging off and then has a crash, was this a negligent event or an accidental event? I think the word accident should be reserved for acts of God and totally unforeseeable things that lead to these events.

S&W actually recommends dry firing some of their revolvers to smooth out the trigger pull.. I have a 642 that has a very smooth trigger pull as I sat watching TV just pulling the trigger. Has to have thousands of pulls at this point and as S&W recommended, the trigger is now excellent.
You would lose count of the number of times I shot Clinton Bush and Obama on TV.

I have an old Walther 22 cal that requires that one manually lower the hammer slowly if cocked. I guess I lowered it a bit too fast. It penetrated the wallboard but not the outer cladding, where I had it pointed as my safe direction.

On my way to the audiologist now! I need to get the volume on my hearing aids turned up.

Last edited:
One ND and you're giving up reloading?

Sounds like we need a crisis intervention team.

This is only half the infrastructure. I’m keeping the rifle reloading set up for slower precision work.

I’m no longer shooting 10,000 rounds a year so don’t need the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom